What's the best media for my drives?

vbimport

Hi,

I’ve got two different burners; this is how they’re listed under the Device Manager in Windows Vista Ultimate.

1. Sony DVD RW DRU-820a ATA Device
    Firmware Version : 1.0c

2. HP DVD Writer 640b ATA Device
    Firmware Version : E223

NOTE As far as I know, these are the latest firmware udates for each burner. If you know of any later updates, please advise me.

I’ve had bad luck with DVD+R DL media. My first purchase of DVD+R DL media was a really crappy brand; Playo. I purchased it from blankmedia.ca.

Anyways I’m not here to bash anybody, but I would like to know what kind of DVD+R DL would you recommend for my burners.
Price is not that much of an issue. What is an issue though, is :

• Reliability
  • Quality
  • Performance
  • Availability*
  • I’ve read a lot of good reviews for Verbatim DVD+R DL (Made in Singapore) but I can’t seem to find them in local shops. I recently tried purchasing them online and would you believe it??? My order got lost!
    I’m going through this whole ordeal now with Ebay, PayPal & Canada Post. :rolleyes:

So if you could, please recommend DVD+R DL media that fits my criteria & will work with both of my burners and if possible…which shops carry them in the Brampton area. :iagree:

Thanks!

[QUOTE=YMS_1975;2114037]Hi,

I’ve got two different burners; this is how they’re listed under the Device Manager in Windows Vista Ultimate.

1. Sony DVD RW DRU-820a ATA Device
    Firmware Version : 1.0c

2. HP DVD Writer 640b ATA Device
    Firmware Version : E223

NOTE As far as I know, these are the latest firmware udates for each burner. If you know of any later updates, please advise me.

I’ve had bad luck with [B]DVD+R DL[/B] media. My first purchase of DVD+R DL media was a really crappy brand; [B]Playo[/B]. I purchased it from [B]blankmedia.ca[/B].

Anyways I’m not here to bash anybody, but I would like to know what kind of DVD+R DL would you recommend for my burners.
Price is not that much of an issue. What is an issue though, is :

• Reliability
  • Quality
  • Performance
  • Availability*
  • I’ve read a lot of good reviews for Verbatim DVD+R DL (Made in Singapore) but I can’t seem to find them in local shops. I recently tried purchasing them online and would you believe it??? My order got lost!
    I’m going through this whole ordeal now with Ebay, PayPal & Canada Post. :rolleyes:

So if you could, please recommend DVD+R DL media that fits my criteria & will work with both of my burners and if possible…which shops carry them in the Brampton area. :iagree:

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Hi

Unfortunately, everyone around here recommends Verbatim branded MKM 001 DVD+R DL MIS. Sony also uses MKM 001 MIS, but they are harder to find…

HTH
NBK

I’m quite new to all of this…

Can you explain what the coding means? : MKM 001.

Is that coding strictly restricted to Verbatim products or can you find the same coding on other brand names?

[QUOTE=YMS_1975;2114046]I’m quite new to all of this…

Can you explain what the coding means? : MKM 001.

Is that coding strictly restricted to Verbatim products or can you find the same coding on other brand names?[/QUOTE]

Hi YMS,

Someone else will have to explain what MKM 001.

Yes, you can find the same ‘coding’ on other brand names…

NBK

the code MKM 001 refers to the Manufacturer IDentification code (MID code). For CDs, the MID will usually just identify the company name (Taiyo Yuden, Prodisc, Moser Baer, CMC MAG etc) but for DVDs it’s more complex as the code gives you a company abbreviation and a model revision. For example TYG 02 = Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-, YUDENT000T02 = Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+, MCC 004 = Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation 16x DVD+, etc are all commonly used MID codes for Single Layer media regarded as high quality. If you look around the Blank Media forum here you will see a lot of DVD MID codes being bandied about.

As a general rule you can’t go far wrong with anything branded Verbatim, and I have no cause to disagree with others here who recommend Singaporean Dual Layer verbs.

If you have Nero Burning ROM installed on your PC, in the Nero <whatever version>\Tools Start Menu folder, you will find a tool called CD DVD Speed, might be Disc Speed with a very new version.

If you use that program, you can get the MID (and use the various scanning tools to test the integrity) of any media in your CD and DVD drives.

• Thread moved from Blank DVD Media Tests subforum to Blank Media forum * *

Welcome to CDFreaks, YMS_1975! :slight_smile:

Well, I know what media NOT to buy :

1. Playo (pure crap)
  2. Memorex (yep, they suck too).

Trial and error is costing me a lot of money. When I add up the money I wasted in blank media rejects, it would’ve cost me less to just buy a retail copy of what I was looking for.

I’m off the burning bandwagon unless it’s for my personal pictures or files.

[QUOTE=YMS_1975;2115674]Trial and error is costing me a lot of money…[/QUOTE]
Then your best bet is to just stick with Verbatim branded single layer, got from a good store (on/off line) until you want to delve right into the media/drive thing its the best way IMO to get good quality media that seems to be best across the drives.

I have also found the LG drives ‘seem’ to do better than just about all other drives, I only burn with mine, the other drives are to check the quality and burn CDRs, everyone I have told to get an LG after lots of problems (and stick with Verbatim) also keep the burn speeds around 8x, have said thanks …and dont seem to have any more problems.