What's the best firmware for SOHW-832S?

vbimport

I want it so it can burn burn movies and have a great game backup capability.

Also is there any update for Plex Premium besides 1.05?

Q1/ Hasn’t this already been asked before multiple times? Quick answer: VS0E/CG3E/VY08: try them and see which one works best for you.
Q2/ Ask in the Plextor forum.

While we are on the subject of the 832s, I would like to say that I have a sony burner that burns TDK 4x dvd’s about 10 minutes faster than my 832s(takes about 24 minutes vs 16 minutes)

Does anyone know what I can do to speed up my 832s? TIA

Enable DMA.

thanks, I’ll try that. I just checked and my burner’s ide channel was set to PIO mode, so I changed it to dma if available. I’ll let you know if it works.

Enabling DMA did increase the write speed, but it seems to have caused a major problem. After enabling dma, I started having “delayed write errors” during ripping with DVD decrypter to my SATA hard-drive. In the middle of the rip, the SATA hard drive would disappear and I would get the “delayed write error”. The SATA drive would come back after I restarted my computer. I tried several things, like defragging, drive error checking, looking for new drivers, etc. before disabling dma. After disabling dma, I made it through my rip without the error.