What's the best firmware for my Samsung SH-S203N

What’s the best firmware for my Samsung SH-S203N? I’m seeing posts in this forum mentioning firmware SB02 but when I went to the download site posted on the first page of this thread I saw only SB00 and SB01. So, was SB02 pulled out for being too buggy maybe?

Whatever firmware is best to use for my SH-S203N, can I still make it even better by patching it with c0deking’s firmware patcher? Do you advise patching or is the stock firmware good enough and no need to patch?

Thank you so much for your much appreciated help! :slight_smile:

SB02 for the S203N is there. Try this link:
http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp?FunctionValue=view&no=542&SearchWord=sh-s203&SearchMode=TOTALSEARCH&PageNumber=1&product_code=&os_no=

Awesome! Thanks, CK. :slight_smile:

So, is SB02 the best stock firmware for my drive? Do I need to patch with your utility or is the stock SB02 good enough?

BTW, sorry for being a newb but what does ODD mean?

Hi,[QUOTE=mtl777;2273577]
So, is SB02 the best stock firmware for my drive?[/quote]At least it is the latest :wink:

Do I need to patch with your utility or is the stock SB02 good enough?
Normally you should be fine with stock firmware. The patched firmware gives you some additional tweaks - it’s up to you to decide if you need some (or all) of them.

BTW, sorry for being a newb but what does ODD mean?
[B]O[/B]ptical [B]D[/B]isc [B]D[/B]rive

Michael

Thanks, Michael! :slight_smile:

Are there any dangers I should be aware of regarding patching, like settings that may damage my drive if I’m not careful?

BTW, is SamsungODD.com an official site of Samsung? I’m wondering because the SB01 file I found earlier is different in size than the SB01 file from SamsungODD.com. If the files are from the same company they should be the same size.

Hi,[QUOTE=mtl777;2273630]
Are there any dangers I should be aware of regarding patching, like settings that may damage my drive if I’m not careful?[/quote]There is always some risk when flashing firmware, regardless of official or patched firmware. As already stated, I would only apply patches that I’d need.

BTW, is SamsungODD.com an official site of Samsung?
Yes. SamsungODD.com is the official Samsung ODD website.
I’m wondering because the SB01 file I found earlier is different in size than the SB01 file from SamsungODD.com. If the files are from the same company they should be the same size.
Is the .bin file the same? Or have you only compared the .exe? Since Samsung had changed the packages(*), the executables may differ in size.

Michael

(*): Plain .bin; .bin + sfdnwin.exe; .bin + tsdnwin.exe

[QUOTE=mciahel;2273770]
Is the .bin file the same? Or have you only compared the .exe?[/quote]

I only compared the .exe. :doh: So this time I extracted the files and used a file compare utility. The .bin files are the same byte for byte. :iagree:

What’s the difference between sfdnwin.exe and tsdnwin.exe?

Hi,[QUOTE=mtl777;2274923]
What’s the difference between sfdnwin.exe and tsdnwin.exe?[/QUOTE]tsdnwin is the newer version. If I remember correctly, then it is needed for the newer 22x drives.
With your 203, you can use both (more or less a matter of personal preference).

Michael

I think I’m all set now. Great forum here! Thanks Michael and CK for all your help! :slight_smile:

You are very welcome :slight_smile: