What's the Best Drive for making MP3's Sound Great

I have a spare Liteon LDW-851S and it fails to initialise where the motor keeps starting. When it did work and when I burned mp3s on to audio CDs not as mp3 discs btw they sounded better than when burning them on any other drive I have being an external Liteon SOHW-1633SX which makes them sound terrible as well as sharp, my older Liteon LTR-52246S (this sounds alright but slightly less cleaner than my other internal liteon) and my Yamaha CRW-F1 both internal as well as external drives (the internal one I think sounds like it gives more whack and these make uncompressed music sound crispy clear with a nice sharpness not suited to mp3s). I can no longer get hold of my broken model and I’m looking for a drive that is suited to mp3s which makes them sound good if that’s at all possible as well as heard of.

Do you use a headphone output?

No I don’t usually listen to the music through headphones. It’s probably a hypothetical question this that I ask and that there is no real marked difference in sound quality from drive to drive. I do notice though that between the internal liteon I have now which is an earlier model and the broken internal liteon which was a later model is that the latter to my ears sounds cleaner so may be it’s only certain people that can notice the difference much like those people who know if an mp3’s playing.

I can always tell an MP3 from CDDA, but…like my family doc once told me, “its all in your head” :bigsmile:
If u use the drive’s analog (phone) output, then there is always a difference in sound quality from drive to drive as the processing is done through the drive’s circuits.

If u let the PC do digital - analog conversion then it doesnt matter which drive it is and the outcome depends on software (codecs) and the audio card for the most part.

Well what I’m really talking about is the burning process the end result you know after burning it to a CD and I don’t actually use my PC drive to play audio I use my stereo system. To set as a control group I recorded the same album on my older Liteon drive then played it through my stereo and then I did the same again using my now broken newer drive. After careful hearing it seemed somewhat grainier that the older drive gave you know like dirtier and less pure unlike the newer drive which was cleaner in all.

You got a point. I dont think there should be any difference, unless the media/burn is so bad that the drive cannot recover data and playback starts skipping or stuttering.
What can also influence listening experience (besides a listeners emotional state) is the stereo components. E.g. an amplifier is designed in such way that the output transistors are supposed to reach a cirtain temperature befor they get in the “regime” with the lowest distortions of the signal. It is especially noticable on tube amplifiers. So I would probably let it work for 20 min or so and then use a “blind” method to be on the ‘scientific’ side.

Being that my Yamaha makes .mp3s sound clearer isn’t a given as it exposes it’s vulnerabilities of sounding plain, possibly because it uses jitter correction. Maybe it’s all down to jitter rather than the integrity of the data and my Yamaha cancels it out. Much the same my newer Liteon would have reduced jitter, but not too less to fill in the thinness of .mp3 sound so as to give an illusion of being bolder sound and has the right balance as opposed to my older Liteon. I might try your experiment after and thx

I tried your experiment finally got round to it and I tried the two Liteon drives where I couldn’t notice any measurable difference so you was right, but I did try my external Liteon drive which has a black tray. According to what I’ve read, black trays can reduce background jitter and when I’ve listened to it it sounds noticeably sharper where this isn’t a good idea with .mp3s I think.

However I tried it with a proper CD and I think it sounds inferior to my internal Liteon drives including my Yamaha as well as my Yamaha which is external. It must have something to do with the hardware burning process where the sound is all there, but the reproduction is different and nothing lost so if I was to copy the disc again then the sound would have difference.

I’ve read somewhere in an audiophile article that listening to music from different hard drives can generate a different result as well as on different media and I guess it just depends on what drive you’re burning on as well as the test I took involved two closely related drives which were external ones.