What's the best codec pack out there?

I have just formatted and carried out a complete fresh installation of my system. I want to update my codecs and I want to know what the best codec pack is.

My suggestion is to not use at all codec packs. You should install only codec absolutely necessary, and not a bunch of useless softwares.

My suggestion is to install VLC player (or, better, to use the portable version, so no installation is necessary). It already has all necessary stuff to play most of audio and video formats with no need to install codecs. In this way your machine will be cleaner :slight_smile:

yes, as geno888 said, try not to mess with codec pack (they are just a mess, IMHO). If you really want, get ffdshow + Media Player Classic and you are ready to play anything.

IIRC, there’s a K-Lite codec pack that used to have many codecs people needed, but as already stated, (essentially) only use the codecs you need (i.e., I would NOT install that whole pack–I’d install only the codecs I absolutely know I need).

If you occasionally get a video file you can’t play, you can use KC Software’s Video Inspector to scan the video file and tell you exactly what codec you need. That’s the way I’d go, and get the needed codecs as you need each one.

Must say I’m rather surprised by the responses so far. I’ve never had any issues with the K-Lite packs, been using them for donkeys now, since they began I think.

http://www.codecguide.com/

I do also use the tools, might not be to other posters tastes but it works for me.

There is nothing wrong with using a codec pack. Just make dam sure that you use one only and that you do not install multiple ones, because that where it can get messy.

Recommended codec pack is K-Lite Full.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;1970234]There is nothing wrong with using a codec pack. Just make dam sure that you use one only and that you do not install multiple ones, because that where it can get messy.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

Yes, problems will arise if people use different ones from various sources. Plus, it’s best to always fully uninstall an old version before installing a new one (even if it’s from the same series).

[QUOTE=platinumsword;1970234]There is nothing wrong with using a codec pack. Just make dam sure that you use one only and that you do not install multiple ones, because that where it can get messy.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

I use the K-Lite basic and find it works quite well.

[QUOTE=Garybrown02;1969915]I have just formatted and carried out a complete fresh installation of my system. I want to update my codecs and I want to know what the best codec pack is.[/QUOTE]

Don’t install codecs unless you really need them…as noted by the MOD only install them for applications that you will be using otherwise your putting more pull on memory resources…but I have if you wondering Cole2k advance codec installed onto my system…and haven’t had much problem but it depends on one’s system software setups…so if you plan to install them use them with caution…

I’ve installed the XP Codec Pack 2.3.4 and was wondering what you guys thought about this. Has anyone had any problems with it?

As suggested previously, you wouldn’t need a codecpack in the first place if you used VLC Media Player. Now that you’ve installed one anyway (luckily you’ve picked a good one) and in case you should have problems, you’d be facing a clean install of Windows. :wink:

It’s possible that he doesn’t want to use VLC player. I fully agree that it’s the way to go but there might be a possibility that he does not like VLC layout.

As far as the XP Codec Pack 2.3.4 goes you will be fine, just remember keep it simple do not install any more codec packs.

:cool::cool:

me personally, i would not recommend installing any “code pack” as they usually install all kinds of unnessesary crap.

my advice is to get a video player like “The KMPlayer” as it plays a high percentage of video formats (like x264 (.mkv) etc etc) out there WITHOUT needing additional codec’s installed.

VLC aint a bad player but i think The KMPlayer is just flat out better myself as it seems to play them better (like you can skip forward or backward and it WORKS, unlike VLC player which dont)

[QUOTE=NBR;1971564]me personally, i would not recommend installing any “code pack” as they usually install all kinds of unnessesary crap.

my advice is to get a video player like “The KMPlayer” as it plays a high percentage of video formats (like x264 (.mkv) etc etc) out there WITHOUT needing additional codec’s installed.

VLC aint a bad player but i think The KMPlayer is just flat out better myself as it seems to play them better (like you can skip forward or backward and it WORKS, unlike VLC player which dont)[/QUOTE]

Absolutely,plus it’ll stream video content to a ws tv in the correct format via s-video(or whatever your preference may be)without any ‘controls’ or whatever showing on the tv screen to detract from the picture…it just works,right ‘out of the box’ as it were.

also another vote to stay away from codec packs, they can cause more harm then good.

[QUOTE=NBR;1971564]me personally, i would not recommend installing any “code pack” as they usually install all kinds of unnessesary crap.

VLC aint a bad player but i think The KMPlayer is just flat out better myself as it seems to play them better (like you can skip forward or backward and it WORKS, unlike VLC player which dont)[/QUOTE]

Being it is still a new program and you have to build it to work having no downloaded player won’t help this program get a accepted that soon…too many steps to make a progam workable that is one reason VLC will still be a program other would still recommend…my 2 cents…

I love VLC player because it plays image file such as ISO, img and other image files. On top of that, it plays most format without the need of codec. All I have on my computer is VLC player and DIVX Pro and I haven’t encountered any non-playable formats yet.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1971231]Don’t install codecs unless you really need them…as noted by the MOD only install them for applications that you will be using otherwise your putting more pull on memory resources… [/QUOTE]

There’s no reason a codec pack that’s worth it’s salt should be installing programs that chew up memory/autorun. I’m not at all sure what you’re referring to.