Whats the best cd-rw for backing up games?

vbimport

Hello,
I bought a Philips PCRW804, but i havn't had much luck on making copies of my games. So i was wondering what was the best (also affordable) cd writer. It dosn't have to be fast just as long as it will make backup copies perfectly. Any reply will be appreciated. Thanks, Brian

the liteon 24x

Hi Brian,

The Plextor 2410A will do the job for you. I have got a new one and it burns everything under the sun. :cool:

Thx,
Aquarius.

Indeed, the Plex2410 rules bigtime (own it myself) but if you want a cheaper solution (which can burn SD2) you’ll probably end up with the Lite-on 24x.

chiapet i have got this drive also and have never failed making a backup,be careful of cheap media they don’t like it so stick to verbatim/phillips.
You r using CCD i hope so make sure the settings r correct IE:Fast Error Skip for SD2 games and keep the read/write speeds down:D
Never use the phillips for reading it will take forever and they’re crap,and yes the plex 2410 is a gem but my cheap Acer/Liteon/phillips drives will do just as good job so long as i read off my plex drives.
Happy:) burning.

Thank you very much for all the replies! :slight_smile:

Hi again,
Sorry to keep bugging everyone with all my questions. I looked around on the internet for the drive and i found one link close to the plextor writer http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005A1KV/qid=1011736668/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_71_2/103-7108131-8343811
would this work just like the Plextor 2410A or do i need to find the exact model number (or what description should i look for when buying the drive to make the good copies?) Thank you again, and if you happen to see any better deals on ebay, amazon , half please post them. Thanks, Brian

Hi Brian,

The page link that you gave is for the Plextor 161040A . I don’t have have any information whether it does SD2, but since it is a Plex, it should. Also, there could be a firmware upgrade available for it. You will have to get more information about this drive.

Thx,
Aquarius.
:slight_smile:

I think Aopen 24x is also a good choice,it’s much cheaper than plextor

Originally posted by Aquarius
[B]Hi Brian,

The page link that you gave is for the Plextor 161040A . I don’t have have any information whether it does SD2, but since it is a Plex, it should. Also, there could be a firmware upgrade available for it. You will have to get more information about this drive.
[/B]
No it shouldn’t. The only real SafeDisc 2 IDE Plextor is the latest 24x. Older models will not work with SafeDisc 2 regardless the firmware used. The 1610A model even has problems with SubChannel Data so don’t buy this one. So either go for the Lite-On or the Plextor 24x. I’m a Plextor fan myself but the latest SafeDisc 2 version 2.50.xx can’t be burned by it. The Lite-On can however… Use the search for more info on this.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
…but the latest SafeDisc 2 version 2.50.xx can’t be burned by it.

Uhm… could this be fixed in a firmware update? Not that there is a newer firmware available, but then we could have something to wait for! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Wookie

Uhm… could this be fixed in a firmware update? Not that there is a newer firmware available, but then we could have something to wait for! :slight_smile:

Maybe… I don’t know. This new SafeDisc 2 version is better than the previous versions but I’m sure some kind of sollution will popup sooner or later. CloneCD’s AWS function also doesn’t seem to work anymore and for the time being only the Lite-On 24x and 32x are reported to work properly. Read more here.

The Lite-On sounds better and better :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello once again,
After reading a few hours on all the diffrent drives I think iam going to go with the Lite On 24X. Thank You Very Much for all the excellent replies, GREAT FORUM! :slight_smile:
Brian

Originally posted by chiapet
GREAT FORUM! :slight_smile:
Yeah we know :wink: Heheh good luck!

can you backup games on cd-rws???

Originally posted by Coldfreezer
can you backup games on cd-rws???

Yes you can.

When you write the CD-RW as you would do a CDR (instead of formatting it first and then drag the files to it).

I hate these drives and would go for anyother IE:phillips/Acer/plex24x check here http://elby.org/CloneCD/english/cdr_t.htm
If it does correct EFM encoding then it’s ok.
:smiley: