As one of the searchers for the “holy grail” of backup - the best quality (I wouldn’t be here otherwise) - I’ve read and re-read this thread with interest.
I’ve tried the majority of transcoders and even spent hours working on “the big 3” (which includes CCE) - real dedication needed to get your head around this, especially if you want to “trim” the output.
I’ve noticed that there is very little mention of DVD Rebuilder in this thread - supposedly a “one click” front end for CCE and other encoders (notice encoders NOT transcoders).
Nobody in their right mind would dispute the superiority of CCE over the more readily available transcoders, it’s just so expensive and brain numbing to get to grips with - not to mention time consuming to get the end result.
The debate on Clone DVD versus DVD Shrink was interesting - as I have tried both - and yes the output from InterVideo DVD Copy 2 was superior to either of them - but you should see the Lite-On KProbe results - way above the accepted limits.
InterVideo prevents transcoding to hard drive (maybe worried about multi-burns and copyright!) which rules out burning using Nero, RecordNow or any other programme. And as someone mentioned, the output can be varied (depending on the DVD).
So back to DVD Shrink and DVDCopy. What’s my new approach?
Quite simple - use DVDCopy to select the content of the DVD (include, exclude menus, select/deselect extras, subtitles, audio streams, etc.) - Now on the first page move your mouse over the DVD-5 entry (next to Quality) and change the option to custom. Increase the size until the quality bar shows 100%.
Click next, select audio and subtitles as normal (go back and increase/decrease size until quality is 100%) select “DVD Files” as the output method then burn.
If your custom size is large enough, the transcoder will be turned off - giving you the quality of the original DVD (with menus if you so wish) but without the bits YOU decide to discard.
Use the files created as the input to DVD Rebuilder (remember - front end for CCE).
I’ve just thought of this and am giving it a go as I type. Will post the results later (if it works).