What's producing the absolutley best picture quality?

vbimport

I don’t care how long it takes or if it’s not very userfriendly. I just want the very best in quality.

I know Intervideo won the test at dvd.box.sk but look at the result I got:
http://home.online.no/~s.rast/indy.jpg

I’ve done alot of reading up here and there seams to be 2 favorites:
Pinacle Instant Copy
DVDShrink

if your primary concern is quality, you need to use a method that involves using CCE (cinema craft encoder) to reencode your video. there are tutorials in this forum for doing main movie-only backups. for full backups, you can look here.

that looked a little too advance for me. I meant the best program like pinacle/dvdshrink/dvd2one

if you want “absolutley[sic] best picture quality”, then the methods i pointed out are the ones you want, and actually aren’t that complicated at all. however, if you want to use a transcoder, practically all of them give a free trial, so you can test them out for yourself.

yeah, but that was kinda what I was hoping to avoid. hence this post.

IMHO, CloneDVD2 :

CloneDVD Forum

CloneDVD 2 Using the Application

Originally posted by Ribtin
yeah, but that was kinda what I was hoping to avoid. hence this post.

the reason i said to try them for yourself is that you’re likely to get replies that say that each of the programs is the “best”.

As AzImmortal said, for “the best quailty” you need to use CCE to do the encoding. There is now a beta program called DVD ReBuilder, its a true 1 click converter but does whole DVD only with unwanted Audio track removal only. The results are outstanding compared to what any of the transcoders can do.

Read about it & d/l here http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=75

tnx chicken. that looks very interesting. I guess I could remove other extras like unvanted subs with a program like ifoedit?

Yes, you have many options. Some run it initially through Shrink with no-compression to remove what they dont want or even transcode some of the extras to lower bitrate/size. Others use DVD Stripper to strip out what they dont want prior to ReBuiders encodeing. I’m sure other programs can be used such as IFOEdit, but the best is all these are free. You can even use the free encoder QuEnc with great results as many call it near-cce quality.

One click solutions or frontends such as DVD2SVCD blows if you’re looking for optimal re-encoding but as you stated earlier it was too difficult. If you’re looking for somewhat ‘ugly’ n00b solutions use DVD Shrink, it’s free and usually is superior to CloneDVD.
//Danne

As one of the searchers for the “holy grail” of backup - the best quality (I wouldn’t be here otherwise) - I’ve read and re-read this thread with interest.

I’ve tried the majority of transcoders and even spent hours working on “the big 3” (which includes CCE) - real dedication needed to get your head around this, especially if you want to “trim” the output.
http://www.doom9.org/

I’ve noticed that there is very little mention of DVD Rebuilder in this thread - supposedly a “one click” front end for CCE and other encoders (notice encoders NOT transcoders).
http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=75

Nobody in their right mind would dispute the superiority of CCE over the more readily available transcoders, it’s just so expensive and brain numbing to get to grips with - not to mention time consuming to get the end result.

The debate on Clone DVD versus DVD Shrink was interesting - as I have tried both - and yes the output from InterVideo DVD Copy 2 was superior to either of them - but you should see the Lite-On KProbe results - way above the accepted limits.

InterVideo prevents transcoding to hard drive (maybe worried about multi-burns and copyright!) which rules out burning using Nero, RecordNow or any other programme. And as someone mentioned, the output can be varied (depending on the DVD).

So back to DVD Shrink and DVDCopy. What’s my new approach?

Quite simple - use DVDCopy to select the content of the DVD (include, exclude menus, select/deselect extras, subtitles, audio streams, etc.) - Now on the first page move your mouse over the DVD-5 entry (next to Quality) and change the option to custom. Increase the size until the quality bar shows 100%.

Click next, select audio and subtitles as normal (go back and increase/decrease size until quality is 100%) select “DVD Files” as the output method then burn.

If your custom size is large enough, the transcoder will be turned off - giving you the quality of the original DVD (with menus if you so wish) but without the bits YOU decide to discard.

Use the files created as the input to DVD Rebuilder (remember - front end for CCE).

I’ve just thought of this and am giving it a go as I type. Will post the results later (if it works).

Originally posted by petercetera
[B]I’ve noticed that there is very little mention of DVD Rebuilder in this thread - supposedly a “one click” front end for CCE and other encoders (notice encoders NOT transcoders).
http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=75

[/b]
Then read my post above. The program is very new and still in heavy development. Its also a front end for ReJig which is a Transcoder, not just CCE or QuEnc encoders.

Nobody in their right mind would dispute the superiority of CCE over the more readily available transcoders, it’s just so expensive and brain numbing to get to grips with - not to mention time consuming to get the end result.

Expensive ?, arr… CCE Lite is $58 (same as SE but limited to 2 pass) so compare that to CloneDVD + AnyDVD and tell me which is expensive. As for getting grips with it, then I suggest you run RB and you will see there is basically nothing to setup other than point to a folder.

OK Chickenman I take your points, however…
I did say that CCE was expensive, a factor of 20 times more expensive that CCE Light. I’m using a trial version of CCE so I’m having to use EcICCE to get round the “can’t save file” problem.

I must be setting things up incorrectly - cos every time it jumps into CCE all the setting windows re-appear and I need to press encode or OK to get the ball rolling again.

Now I don’t mind waiting several hours for an encode to complete - but sit in front of the monitor for that length of time - I don’t think so.

Will CCE Light’s 2 pass produce better results than a transcoder and would a 4 pass in CCE be that much better than the light output?

I would love a one button encoding solution to CCE’s quality (once I’ve stripped out the unwanted bits with CopyDVD).

Thanks for your reply - hope you can enlighten me more - where am I going wrong? I’m here to learn!

2 passes with CCE (or CCE Lite) is superior to any transcoder. i did a comparison here between dvdshrink and CCE (using both 2 and 4 passes). note that when i say superior, i mean that the overall quality for the duration of the movie is superior, because for the most part, transcoders don’t exhibit the macroblocking that you see in the dvdshrink screenshot; think of it as a worst-case scenario. using CCE (Lite) virtually guarantees that you won’t see any macroblocking.

As AZImmortal said, CCE, be it Lite, SP, ver2.5, 2.66 or 2.67 at a 2pass it will leave ALL the transcoders standing still with regards to quality. All the above tend to be just referred to as CCE. As for a 4 pass, personally I see no major increase in quality compared to a 2 pass for most films. For real long movies encoded down to fit to 1 dvdr (Like LOTR Extended editions), then I lash out and use 3 pass ! Encoding is ALL done while I sleep and in Batch mode, I have no desire to sit in front of a pc screen watching a counter tick over :eek: With a 2 pas setting, I encode in real time. ie a 2hr movie takes 2hr to encode and author, ready to burn on my AMD 3200+ system.

I must be setting things up incorrectly, have you followed the guide at doom9 http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74308
on how to set it up ?

Another solution for a 1 click solution using CCE is DVDREasy. Read about it and d’l from http://pwp.netcabo.pt/dvdreasy/what.htm It does Main Movie only, nothing more nothing less. Works well, you put the DVD into your dvd reader, run the program, piont to the DVD and click go. You end up with a VIDEO_TS folder with the encoded files within ready to burn with your favorite software. To easy.

Originally posted by ChickenMan
[B]As AzImmortal said, for “the best quailty” you need to use CCE to do the encoding. There is now a beta program called DVD ReBuilder, its a true 1 click converter but does whole DVD only with unwanted Audio track removal only. The results are outstanding compared to what any of the transcoders can do.

Read about it & d/l here http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=75 [/B]

Thanks for pointing out this HOLY GRAIL !

I used it last night to complete backup a dual layer DVD (8Gb). I ran 3 pass VBR and the output was brilliant considering it had been reduced to half the size. DVDShrink was giving me a compression quality of 54% at best - hate to think what that would have looked like in contrast.

I belive DVDShrink/DVDclone type of transcoders have a role for doing smaller films where 80%+ quality compression is available and the time savings might make them favorable.