Whats Going on with DVDFab

Has anyone got any ideas about DVDFab now days. Are the developers getting burned out. They have not came out with any good updates or upgrades and a very long time now. Every one that comes out has problems with something. I got an email today from them with new products are out. They need to go back to the old way to update their programs. Way too many things in one program.
Has anyone switched to another ripping and burning program that works.

[QUOTE=camper913;2602086]Has anyone got any ideas about DVDFab now days. Are the developers getting burned out. They have not came out with any good updates or upgrades and a very long time now. Every one that comes out has problems with something. I got an email today from them with new products are out. They need to go back to the old way to update their programs. Way too many things in one program.
Has anyone switched to another ripping and burning program that works.[/QUOTE]

There are alternatives but not with the combined functionality that DVDFab has.

This forum is for discussing DVDFab and associated products only though.

Would you like me to move it to the more general ‘Movie Copy Software’ forum for you as this would enable people to answer you properly?

[B]Wombler[/B]

I thought I was talking about DVDFab products.
You may move it if you want.

[QUOTE=camper913;2602102]I thought I was talking about DVDFab products.
You may move it if you want.[/QUOTE]

You did ask about DVDFab but also yuo asked if anyone else has switched to another program.

Unfortuneately not able to talk about other programs in the DVDFab section but the main section where Wombler mentioned to move your thread can talk about other programs

Okay then thread moved.

I use DVDFab for ripping but AnyDVD is highly regarded if you’re looking for alternative ripping software.

If you’re using AnyDVD then you’ll need software to compress the output and DVD Rebuilder/BD Rebuilder are probably the best with regard to quality.

These programs do a full re-encode so take longer than transcoding software but give a massive improvement in quality with difficult sources.

Re-encoding will always give better quality to transcoding.

If your priority is speed though and you’re not doing Blu-ray then DVD2One is the fastest transcoding software available and the quality is at least as good as any other transcoder.

For burning you’ll never go wrong with ImgBurn which is probably the best burning software available.

[B]Wombler[/B]

When I first started ripping I learned on a friends computer with AnyDVD with CloneDVD .
These are still my first pair to use if all goes well.
I have changed the process I started with though . I now only rip to DL size with CloneDVD2 as this completely bypasses the transcoder . Then if I need to compress to a SL size I use DVDRebuilder .
I also used the free three method before I got AnyDVD & CloneDVD2, That is a combination of HDDecrypter (the starting name of DVDFab & still the free after trial version) , DVDShrink to compress to SL, then burn with DVD Decrypter (Which is now ImgBurn) . That combination still works due to DVDFab updating the free version just a bit delayed from the paid version updates.
Now if I used this method I would compress with DVDRebuilder.
I also use DVDFab & really see no difference from AnyDVD & CloneDVD2. Since I rip full size DVD9 with DVDFab & then compress with DVDRebuilder to SL.
I also have a forth combination for bad discs ( sometimes they are too bad even for this).
AnyDVD to decrypt with h2cdimage . A small learning curve with it but worth the time .
I think DVDFab’s Passkey would also work with this but I don’t have it so I haven’t tested.

The only movie I failed to rip was “W” (& it wasn’t worth the trouble) . I understand that it became rippable later with both DVDFab & AnyDVD . I already had it ripped by then.
The solution was a friend had an old DVD drive (very old) that was RPC1 . With AnyDVD it ripped “W” with no problem.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2602091]This forum is for discussing DVDFab and associated products only though. [/QUOTE]
I know this is a double post. I try to abide by forum rules & this one might be edited.
I have never understood why any software can’t be brought up in any post in any part of the forum.
I understand why spamming can’t. In other words posts by the author or their staff posting “buy my product because it’s so much better”.
IMO legitimate discussion should be allowed.
Of course “Flaming” should be controlled but it usually is no matter where it happens in the forum.
My reason is because some of the time a different software is working & will do the job . Usually it is just DVDFab hasn’t caught up yet.
Sometimes it’s the other way & AnyDVD hasn’t caught up yet . Those two are most often the competition.
I was a member before this policy(rule) started . I think it centered around two events both involving DVDFab.
The first was lack of support for Windows 98 even when it was still listed as a supported OS on the DVDFab site . Customers with the “lifetime” bundles thought that support for their OS’s should be continued.
The second was when DVDFab split off Blu-Ray from the older “lifetime” bundles. Not entirely but the “new” Blu-Ray" formats. Customers who thought they had purchased “lifetime” updates for all Blu-Ray no longer would get them for the “new” Blu-ray . The software for that has to be purchase separately.
I guess DVDFab’s author & staff couldn’t take the “heat” for those decisions because after that the “no discussion” rule came into being.

Since this is in the Movie copy software section I believe I have stayed within forum rules . At least that was my intention.

[QUOTE=cholla;2602174]I know this is a double post. I try to abide by forum rules & this one might be edited.
I have never understood why any software can’t be brought up in any post in any part of the forum.
I understand why spamming can’t. In other words posts by the author or their staff posting “buy my product because it’s so much better”.
Of course “Flaming” should be controlled but it usually is no matter where it happens in the forum.
My reason is because some of the time a different software is working & will do the job . Usually it is just DVDFab hasn’t caught up yet.
Sometimes it’s the other way & AnyDVD hasn’t caught up yet . Those two are most often the competition.
I was a member before this policy(rule) started . I think it centered around two events both involving DVDFab.
The first was lack of support for Windows 98 even when it was still listed as a supported OS on the DVDFab site . Customers with the “lifetime” bundles thought that support for their OS’s should be continued.
The second was when DVDFab split off Blu-Ray from the older “lifetime” bundles. Not entirely but the “new” Blu-Ray" formats. Customers who thought they had purchased “lifetime” updates for all Blu-Ray no longer would get them for the “new” Blu-ray . The software for that has to be purchase separately.
I guess DVDFab’s author & staff couldn’t take the “heat” for those decisions because after that the “no discussion” rule came into being.

Since this is in the Movie copy software section I believe I have stayed within forum rules . At least that was my intention.[/QUOTE]
@cholla: Its sort of an unwritten rule, and only because we have what I call " Fanboys" of certain software and threads turn into " My software is better than your software, so we try to keep the Fab questions in the Fab Forum and others to their respective forums. And if anyone want s to post about a few different softwares we always have the [B]Movie Copy Software [/B]subforum where you can disscus anything as long as you are civil about it. Thats where we are now. Forums are supposed to be a learning and helping experience, where we can learn and have fun.
As for you breaking any rules, this has never happened. You are a Senior Member and respected here as are all members.:wink:

Thank You alan1476 , I know the “Fanboys” are the problem & that would cause extra work for the mods .
IMO the “unwritten rule” is enforced to the extreme . With any mention of another software getting a topic moved. I think there is a difference in that & a “Fanboy” post.
Again I realize that allowing that would require extra effort for the mods.
I will continue to try my best to follow the forum rules written or unwritten .
BTW I have had a few posts edited or removed since I’ve been a member . I try to avoid that & usually apologize if I cross the line.
I just wanted to put my 2 cents in & make a suggestion for a change in the rule.

[QUOTE=cholla;2602174]I know this is a double post. I try to abide by forum rules & this one might be edited.

Since this is in the Movie copy software section I believe I have stayed within forum rules . At least that was my intention.[/QUOTE]

This thread was originally posted in the DVDFab Forum cholla and you’ve quoted me from when the thread was in there.

That’s the reason I moved the thread to enable this discussion.

Sorry for any confusion.

[B]Wombler[/B]

@ Wombler , Yes I know that. No problem .
My comments weren’t at you personally . Just the “unwritten rule” alan1476 posted about.
You moved the topic as you should have under the current “unwritten rule” .
I hope the administrators of the forum might read it & take changing it as a suggestion.
I know there are other routes of making a suggestion & I may use those at some time.
I just thought this was a good opportunity to comment .
I tried to word my comments carefully in an attempt not to step on any of the “Fanboys” toes too hard.

[QUOTE=cholla;2602233]@ Wombler , Yes I know that. No problem .
My comments weren’t at you personally . Just the “unwritten rule” alan1476 posted about.
I hope the administrators of the forum might read it & take changing it as a suggestion.
I know there are other routes of making a suggestion & I may use those at some time.
I tried to word my comments carefully in an attempt not to step on any of the “Fanboys” toes too hard.[/QUOTE]
I have been involved with forums since 1998. Not this one but many others. In the old days it was like the Wild West. No rules. Warez was rampant. People were disrespecting the hard work others had put in to make a decent forum for people to enjoy. Then came the advent of " Rules". As time wore on, these rules became stricter and stricter, people were advertizing, spamming and posting things not fit for even the old internet. Some of these things still are a problem today. We try to deal with each and every instance individually. Some things can pass, and others cannot, so its really hard to make a new rule about this. Like I said, we want people to enjoy themselves here, and not be harrassed or made to feel uncomfortable. If you own a software and and were having a problem, and I came back and said, XXX software does this without a problem. Now how does that help you with the software you have already purchased? I am sure you understand. Thanks.:wink: Each instance is evaluated on a case by case basis, there is no blanket policy.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cholla;2602233]@ Wombler , Yes I know that. No problem .
I tried to word my comments carefully in an attempt not to step on any of the “Fanboys” toes too hard.[/QUOTE]

Don’t know that it’s entirely unwritten.

Regardless though I always try and facilitate whatever the members want to discuss even if that means some extra effort on my part.

As far as I’m concerned that’s one of my main reasons for being here, to support, assist and promote the community rather than restrain it.

As Alan says though we’d rather treat each case on it’s individual merits than have blanket rules and I believe this flexibility benefits everyone.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Of course I don’t want the Wild West rules used in the forum . That doesn’t do anyone any good. I wasn’t on the internet as early as you alan1476 probably late 2003 for me.
I did register for some forums back then but I found CD Freaks sometime in 2006 but didn’t register until 2007.
I do understand the need for most of the help being for the software that has the problem . I pretty much stick to that myself.

I do know one thing if you post about either subject I mentioned in post #7 in the DVDFab subforum the “Fanboys” start to circle like sharks . Even if only facts about DVDFab are posted.

This is an example of the first:
http://club.myce.com/f116/5-0-1-5-win-98-a-244547/
BTW the problem was never fixed AFIK.
The thread is from 2008 & before the rule . The posts got pretty heated .

I won’t even look for one for the second but I know there are some.

Wombler I clicked the link & you’re correct it’s not entirely unwritten. I got that from alan’s post but he does say "sort of " .

[QUOTE=alan1476;2602195]@cholla: Its sort of an unwritten rule[/QUOTE]

I do find the forum flexible enough & I have seen other software brought up without a post being moved . An example is usually DVDShrink can be posted in the DVDFab subforum because it is usually the software used to compress when the free version of DVDFab is used to rip.

[QUOTE=cholla;2602247] Wombler I clicked the link & you’re correct it’s not entirely unwritten. I got that from alan’s post but he does say "sort of " .

I do find the forum flexible enough & I have seen other software brought up without a post being moved . An example is usually DVDShrink can be posted in the DVDFab subforum because it is usually the software used to compress when the free version of DVDFab is used to rip.[/QUOTE]

Well this bit is unwritten and I’ve never discussed this before but I’m happy to do so as I believe that as a moderator I should always be open to questions.

My take on things is that the DVDFab forum is for the discussion of DVDFab [U]and associated programs[/U], likewise for the various other software specific forums.

So if you’re using software in conjunction with the specific program then that’s fine.

These software specific forums are provided for people that have chosen to use (and in many instances have bought) that particular program so what we’re trying to avoid are endless ‘You’ve chosen the wrong program, you should be using this one’ type of interruptions.

There are always grey areas and we’ll deal with these as appropriate but I’d like to think it shouldn’t be too much of a hindrance to the members to have a thread moved as all we’re doing is moving the discussion to the appropriate place (where possible) and not preventing it.

[B]Wombler[/B]

@camper913

I switched from DVDFab as it no longer works for what I use it for and I been using AnyDVD with CloneDVD, DVD Shrink, handbrake and DVD rebuilder or BD Rebuilder since the switch.

Sure they not an all-in-one program like DVDFab but at least I know my back up will work afterwards and that these programs not give errors.

The DVDFab non QT works just fine for Blu-ray and DVD but is not updated for newer protection that on DVDs least not have to worry about BD since that on the DVDFab server

TBH I find it more flexible using multiple programs as you can do an awful lot more.

Personally my own sequence is:-

[B]DVDFab[/B] - To rip the full disc.

[B]PgcEdit[/B]

To edit the disc structure and if necessary the start point.
To remove unplayable PGCs and unwanted content.
To edit and remove unwanted menu screens.
And to edit the menu commands to make removed content unselectable.

[B]DVD Rebuilder[/B] - To compress (if required).

[B]ImgBurn[/B] - To burn.

If I want to produce a movie only copy and there’s no compression required then I use DVD2One as it’s exceptionally quick at doing this.

[B]Wombler[/B]