What's eating my C drive?

vbimport

Help! what is all this stuff that’s eating my hard drive space? :eek:
It started when I installed Acronis and set it to back up my C drive. I thought I had stopped it by un installing it. Now I’m just making a C image via Microsoft’s “make an image” thingy and it started doing it again.
How can I stop it and can I delete the stuff before it uses up all my hard drive.
I can only find this in “tree size”, if I click on “Open containing folder in file explorer” all I get is the C drive and I’ve been through every folder and sub folder in there and can’t find anything like it. It goes on much further than the bit I posted.
Has anyone any ideas. :kiss:

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2770963]Help! what is all this stuff that’s eating my hard drive space? :eek:
It started when I installed Acronis and set it to back up my C drive. I thought I had stopped it by un installing it. Now I’m just making a C image via Microsoft’s “make an image” thingy and it started doing it again.
How can I stop it and can I delete the stuff before it uses up all my hard drive.
I can only find this in “tree size”, if I click on “Open containing folder in file explorer” all I get is the C drive and I’ve been through every folder and sub folder in there and can’t find anything like it. It goes on much further than the bit I posted.
Has anyone any ideas. :kiss:[/QUOTE]

Hard to tell, long time since I used Acronis, but there is no file extension available to the GUID file names in the attached image and so who knows what created them

Now, uninstalling Acronis: Yeah right :wink: that is not just an uninstall away… Once my maintenance is over, I can probably re-locate some notes I did from back when I scrubbed it out if you are interested.

I suggest you go into System Protection and check how much space is set aside on your C: drive for System Restore, and reduce it to something less than hundreds of GigaBytes. You should also be able to clean up from there.

Well found DrageMester, something had knocked the restore amount slider to max. It was set to 5% about 28Gig, 660 Gb plus is way too much. that’s what was eating my C drive. Thanks my friend, You must be my luck dragon. :smiley:
I wonder what caused that? I will reinstall Acronis and see what happens as this started the exact same time as I installed and first used the latest version of Acronis. It may be just a coincidence.
Any restore setting suggestions for a 1Tb hard drive would be welcome.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2770964]
Now, uninstalling Acronis: Yeah right :wink: that is not just an uninstall away… Once my maintenance is over, I can probably re-locate some notes I did from back when I scrubbed it out if you are interested.[/QUOTE]

Acronis version 2016 uninstalls fine Xercus, There’s not a trace of it left. I don’t know about older versions with hooks on probably that were maybe like removing a greased pig from it’s mothers teat. :eek: I haven’t reinstalled it, I really don’t trust it not to muck around with the system restore settings, or whatever else it feels like altering. I’ll stick to making an image every week via the Microsoft system.
It’s strange, when Acronis was installed, it used to be running something when I shut the machine down, it had already made the backup hours earlier. :confused:

You may like go install it, create boot media version and then uninstall it. That’s what I did with Seagate Discwizard which is a limited version of Acronis. You should have a bootable version of any imaging program because you’ll be unable to run it from Windows in the even you are unable to boot to the C drive.

Thanks bevills1, a good idea. I have a bootable disc and an image of my C drive now. I’m going to test it with another drive installed as C, just to check it works OK. Acronis does do strange things to this rig, just mine, no, there are a few cases of what happened to me on the web.
I don’t actually like Acronis much, it was a bit fussy about keeping the settings, like what drive to back up to.
A fresh image every week on separate partitions alternately so the last one doesn’t over ride the previous image. Mmm, just in case. :smiley: