Whats dvd fabs compression like?

vbimport

i have a load of rips that come to just over 1 sl dvd, seems a waste to put them on a dl dvd plus the hassle,

so whats fabs compression to 1 sl dvd like, im talking 90% so files that come out at at less than 4.7 and over 4.3 gb

[QUOTE=al4x;2106892]i have a load of rips that come to just over 1 sl dvd, seems a waste to put them on a dl dvd plus the hassle,

so whats fabs compression to 1 sl dvd like, im talking 90% so files that come out at at less than 4.7 and over 4.3 gb[/QUOTE]

Fab does an excellent job maintaining quality with reasonable compression. Of course, everyone has their own idea as to what “reasonable” compression is…given all the variables…original quality and compression, bitrate, hardware, monitor size and resolution…yada, yada, yada.
Myself, I usually go down to 80 % or so on flicks. I have gone down to about 55% though with decent results, especially on tv series.
Still, about 80% or so is my own comfort level on most movies.

[QUOTE=al4x;2106892]i have a load of rips that come to just over 1 sl dvd, seems a waste to put them on a dl dvd plus the hassle,

so whats fabs compression to 1 sl dvd like, im talking 90% so files that come out at at less than 4.7 and over 4.3 gb[/QUOTE]

depends on the size of the file, I have done movies at 70% compression and the quality is still good…but normally I try and stay around 85%-90%.
I think I have done a few at 65% but had a little loss of color but the picture was still great

OT,

Hey SJ,
Wow, I finally beat someone posting…even if it is another slow, old fart…:bigsmile::flower:

thats quite handy, i think 80% will get most of my films onto sl dvd

now just gotta get the dvd drive to burn at a better speed :frowning:

What burner and firmware are you using?

[QUOTE=maineman;2106918]OT,

Hey SJ,
Wow, I finally beat someone posting…even if it is another slow, old fart…:bigsmile::flower:[/QUOTE]

That not saying much for you seeing that I have only 1 eye with half the vision :wink:

got an external lg e60n, apparently only stock fw is availible

terribly slow

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2106922]That not saying much for you seeing that I have only 1 eye with half the vision ;)[/QUOTE]

Dunno 'bout that. I think my having to take dementia medication more than makes up for that…:bigsmile:

[quote=al4x;2106892]i have a load of rips that come to just over 1 sl dvd, seems a waste to put them on a dl dvd plus the hassle,

so whats fabs compression to 1 sl dvd like, im talking 90% so files that come out at at less than 4.7 and over 4.3 gb[/quote]Stormjumper is more adventurous than I am, but I have had excellent results through my Pioneer upconverting player to 1080i HDTV on a couple that I tried as low as 83%. 90% should be no problem. Remember that a lot depends on how the original DVD was compressed and its bitrate, so some movies may look fine at 82-85%, others that start out with lower bitrates will look bad at the same Quality percentage. Maineman’s numbers are about what I shoot for too.

Come on guys, it has been explained all before: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45129

There is a lot more to it than just the percentages.

I’ve always had really good results using DVDFab’s “[B]Main Movie[/B]” feature.

By copying only the movie with one audio track, there’s a lot less that needs to be compressed. Depending on the DVD, I often can get an entire movie on a single DVD5 at 100%, without any compression.

If you’re looking for good picture quality and aren’t into the bells-and-whistles that are part of every DVD (director’s commentary, subtitles, previews, etc.), don’t copy them.

Organdude

[quote=linx05;2107129]Come on guys, it has been explained all before: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45129

There is a lot more to it than just the percentages.[/quote]Pretty sure I mentioned that. The Quality readout is just there to provide a rough guide as to how hard the content will be squeezed, at least that’s how I use it.

I agree with Organdude, [B]most[/B] of the time just backing up the main flick w/o the extra krap,as most is, IMO!, will result in a good quality backup…Having said that,what is good for me,may not be good enough to anyone else…
Beauty is in the [B]eye[/B] of the [B]beerholder[/B]…:cool:

[QUOTE=linx05;2107129]Come on guys, it has been explained all before: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45129

There is a lot more to it than just the percentages.[/QUOTE]
Gee, pretty sure I said that too.

[QUOTE=maineman;2107296]Gee, [B]pretty sure[/B] I said that too.[/QUOTE]

Have you takin your morning Meds :smiley:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2107339]Have you takin your morning Meds :D[/QUOTE]

Errh meds?..Am I supposed to be taking meds?..:eek::stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Organdude;2107162]I’ve always had really good results using DVDFab’s “[B]Main Movie[/B]” feature.

By copying only the movie with one audio track, there’s a lot less that needs to be compressed. Depending on the DVD, I often can get an entire movie on a single DVD5 at 100%, without any compression.

If you’re looking for good picture quality and aren’t into the bells-and-whistles that are part of every DVD (director’s commentary, subtitles, previews, etc.), don’t copy them.

Organdude[/QUOTE]

DVDfab does not yet have an option to trim unwanted start & end frames, but dvdshrink does. So if you rip main movie to HD with fab, then reauthor with shrink you can often get back up to 100% e.g. by removing up to 5 minutes of end credits ( assuming you don’t need to know who the assistant wardrobe’s assistant teamaker was ! ).
then burun with imgburn or whatever your preferred burn program is.