What's better backing up to DVD9 or DVD5?

vbimport

I haven’t backed up any of my DVDs for years as I’ve been overseas for awhile but I want to start backing up all my new ones. I used to back up my DVDs with DVDShrink and burn with nero onto single layer discs. I always noticed the quality go down due to the compression. I like to create full back ups without removing anything. Now that Dual Layer DVDs are a lot cheaper I wonder whether its worth using them to back up my DVDs without compression. By the way I’m using a Mac now.

So is it worth backing up to Dual Layer DVDs? If so what software is good for Macs? Or should I just back up to single layer DVDs?

Any answers are appreciated!

Anytime you can do 1 to 1, it’s going to be better, doesn’t matter if it’s to SL or DL.

Is the difference in quality worth the extra cost of the discs? Right now it costs about 6x the price of single layer for dual layer. Does it take longer to copy and burn DL vs SL?

Nowadays, most people (with a clue) will tell you that the best alternative to 1:1 by far is to encode to DVD5 with the likes of CCE or Procoder.

The tradeoff is time consumption, which might not be an issue at all if you have the possibility to leave movies encoding through the night or while you’re away at work or whatever.

Whether that or going for the cost of DL DVDR is the best option, would have to be answered by your wallet :stuck_out_tongue:

I would never buy any DLs at regular price, the recommended would be Verbatim, but just keep an eye out for when they go on sale, then snap them up. You are dealing with a bigger file, 5+, 6, 7 or 8 GBs rather than the 4+ GBs to fit on a SL. Most of the time I will take Movie Only plus 5.1 English, but not proceed if the setting drops below 70%. For episodic Dvds I will sometimes cheat, then I follow this guide supplied by jellybean. Less than 65% - Maximum Smooth, 65 - 80% - Smooth, 80 - 90% - Default Sharp & 90 - 99.9% - Maximum Sharp. I am not saying this is the best deal around, but just found it after replying to your post.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/50-pack-verbatim-dvd-r-dl-media-49-81-less-sams-club-251486/

If you can buy some Verbatim DVD+R DLs for around $1 a piece you should. Sam’s Club has 50 for $50 sometimes.

Since you’re ultimately going to be the one who watches the DVDs, it’s really up to you to decide whether or not it’s worth it to use DVD-9s. If you’re satisfied with the quality of a DVD-5, then I would continue to use DVD-5s. This might also vary on a per-movie basis.

1:1 copy is always best, especially if you want to keep it all.
I know you are a Mac user, but there is always possibility of dual boot.
There is a DVD Rebuilder software which has an option to compress extras more than a main movie. That will help if compressed to DVD5.
It has a very good free encoders and also support one like CCE Basic.

I totally agree with AZImmortal.

Besides, in this thread we’re also discussing whether backing up to HDD instead is a better alternative.

[QUOTE=AZImmortal;2118032]Since you’re ultimately going to be the one who watches the DVDs, it’s really up to you to decide whether or not it’s worth it to use DVD-9s. If you’re satisfied with the quality of a DVD-5, then I would continue to use DVD-5s. This might also vary on a per-movie basis.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t agree more with the MOD…but as mention some movie espicallly older movies you bought are or could be also DVD5 as well instead of the DVD9 format as well. But price wise for me going 1:1 give a better watching and viewing experience.