Whats best SH-203B, D, N or P?

Hello everyone!
I’m thinking about buying a new drive, a samsung one since i only read good things about it. So i was just wondering about the difference between the models:
SH-S203P
SH-S203D
SH-S203N
SH-S203B

I know the S203B its the main one that got a very good review here on the site, so i ask if there is a big difference in quality between the 203b and the other models? Note that at the store i saw an ‘SAMSUNG DVDRW 20X LightScribe SATA BLACK Bulk - SH-S203B’ now i ask if there is such a S203B model with Lightscribe on it, or this may be refering to an s203N or s203P ??

thanks

FAQ!!!

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/mini-faq-samsung-dvd-writers-220607/

I’ve 203B and 203N, the latests with LS.
AFAIK there is no difference between (only the Lightscribe) them but then I don’t own the “D” and “P”. Sorry to say I didn’t even bother about D/T. Most probably just a marketing trick…

My 0.02$

Edit. Thanks alan1476.

The only real difference is in the SATA Models and the IDE model, from my experience the SATA models outperform the IDE. If you dont need Lightscribe I would go with the SH203B.

[quote=spykerez;1969411]Hello everyone!
I’m thinking about buying a new drive, a samsung one since i only read good things about it. So i was just wondering about the difference between the models:
SH-S203P
SH-S203D
SH-S203N
SH-S203B

I know the S203B its the main one that got a very good review here on the site, so i ask if there is a big difference in quality between the 203b and the other models? Note that at the store i saw an ‘SAMSUNG DVDRW 20X LightScribe SATA BLACK Bulk - SH-S203B’ now i ask if there is such a S203B model with Lightscribe on it, or this may be refering to an s203N or s203P ??

thanks[/quote] The only real difference is in the SATA Models and the IDE model, from my experience the SATA models outperform the IDE. If you dont need Lightscribe I would go with the SH203B.

You beat me to the punch ( again):iagree::o

The day after tomorrow I will get the 203D to test against my 203B , tomorrow is our (Christian Copts) Christmas holiday :bigsmile:

Main Difference is media support:
203B SB01:

Media Code Speed Edit V 1.1.0.10
------------------------------------------

Firmware: TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S203B SB01
Bootcode: TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S203B BOOT

Overall  supported media types:  316
DVD+R9   supported media types:   26
DVD+R    supported media types:   74
DVD+RW   supported media types:   37
DVD-R9   supported media types:   14
DVD-R    supported media types:  101
DVD-RW   supported media types:   43
DVD-RAM  supported media types:   21

203D SB00:

Media Code Speed Edit V 1.1.0.12

Firmware: TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S203D SB00
Bootcode: TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S203D BOOT

Overall  supported media types:  335
DVD+R9   supported media types:   28
DVD+R    supported media types:   80
DVD+RW   supported media types:   37
DVD-R9   supported media types:   16
DVD-R    supported media types:  108
DVD-RW   supported media types:   43
DVD-RAM  supported media types:   23

Some MIDs are supported at higher speeds with the 203B SB01

Michael

Hi! My 1st post, so apologize for any rules I’ll brake posting in here. :smiley:
I just got my SH-203N today and it was about 10 € cheaper than the 203B (I don’t know why, it has light-scribe as bonus). I hope I’ll be happy with it, as I came from some old LiteOn (LDW-451S) bought 3 years ago. I wasn’t very happy with, but it was my only one dvd-wr and it did an ok job.
My question is now: is there any firmware I should upgrade to? (mine is SB01). Any fw without region limitations?

Thanks!

EDIT: well excuse my ignorance, I just got (“read the f#¤% FAQ!”) my answer!

There is a lot of of curiosity about the D model, can someone please - I believe minealromany said earlier he would test the drive - give their feedback on the 203D.

In most parts of the world 203B is unavailable or difficult to find replaced by the 203D.

Since there is so much interest in the 203B thanks to the great reviews here it will be nice if we can get some concrete opinion on the D model from some of the experts here.

I just got hold of the D model and would have scanned and posted but have no access to Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim here, only moser baer and dubious Sony media.

anyone know the difference between the 203N and 203P?

Same question here.
Any result yet on the D model as said before the B model isn’t much available anymore.

p.s. sry for cros-posting

http://www.shopbot.ca/p-60976-1296350.html

lots available of the 203B here

[QUOTE=Dougofthenorth;1996769]

lots available of the 203B here[/QUOTE]Not necessarily. They might still advertise the 203B, but ship 203D. Such just happened to me recently.

[QUOTE=toka;1986667]anyone know the difference between the 203N and 203P?[/QUOTE]

Anyone know the difference between

SH-S203N and SH-S203P/BEBN?

And whats BEBN???

Play.com sell both for the same price but don’t know which one to go for.

looking the the Samsung Firmware page

http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp?searchMode=&product_code=SDR

The SH-S203B is at Firmware SB03
The SH-S203N SB01
The SH-S203S/P SB00

i still really would like to find out why the n model does not recieve updates like the b does?? i spoke with a samsung tech i deal with (for their tv’s) he said he asked one of the tech guys that deal with the drives and they said they are really the same drive minus the lighscribe? doesnt make sense why one would get the support and the other does not??

[quote=bbasra;2000192]Anyone know the difference between

SH-S203N and SH-S203P/BEBN?[/quote]
Since
N = B + Lightscribe and
P = D + Lightscribe,
there is basically the same difference as with 203B and 203D. Slightly different speed, also media support is different as described above.

And whats BEBN?
Kind of packaging code (with or without software, retail or bulk, colour of the frontplate)

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2000776]Since
N = B + Lightscribe and
P = D + Lightscribe,
there is basically the same difference as with 203B and 203D. Slightly different speed, also media support is different as described above.
Kind of packaging code (with or without software, retail or bulk, colour of the frontplate)

Michael[/QUOTE]

Great post. That said, between B and D models which to recommend the best?
And one more thing, whats up with this new 203S model listed on the site http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1970789]The day after tomorrow I will get the 203D to test against my 203B , tomorrow is our (Christian Copts) Christmas holiday :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Hi,
did you alreaydy compare the two ? what is the result, please ?
in quality, speed and compatibility :smiley: