What's a good CD ROM speed?

Hi, all.

What a good forum this seems to be. I’m 74 and easily get confused, hence my question. I’ve tried to research it, honestly, but got taken down tracks I can’t follow.

My equipment is a SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW 252B which apparently has the capability of running from slow speeds up to 52X. The default seems to be 52X.

I use Nero version 5.5.9.24 which seems to automatically handle burn speeds, so that’s O.K.

I mainly play games such as Age of Empires/Mythology, Hoyles Card and Board games and the like. At 52X the CD makes the typical loud noise (no disks shattered as yet!)

Will the settings in Nero really set the CD to play at any selected speed, such as 8X, 16X etc and if so, what is a good speed to set for playing games such as mentioned above.

Your help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I live on Australia’s Central Coast, go to classical music concerts, eat fish and chips at the beach and now get totally lost with new computer gizmos, even though I first used a computer for work prior to the 386 coming out.

If you set the speed in Nero DriveSpeed then yes it will slow the drive down when playing games.

Originally posted by blueberry
[B]Hi, all.

What a good forum this seems to be. I’m 74 [/B]

You are what???74???:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: /gs.

No, no, gene_simmons. Not 74 proof, as a good spirit might be. And drinking spirits is not why I get confused, though that sounds like a good idea.

Also, thanks to Chriso for the reply, it’s reassuring.

Changing the drive’s speed in Nero doesn’t affect read sppeds; it affects writing speeds. However, changing the speed in Nero DriveSpeed, which comes with Nero, should allow you to change the reading speed of your drive.

Originally posted by CDRecorder
Changing the drive’s speed in Nero doesn’t affect read sppeds; it affects writing speeds. However, changing the speed in Nero DriveSpeed, which comes with Nero, should allow you to change the reading speed of your drive.

And that’s basically what I just said.

I know. I just wanted to make it really clear that changing the speed in Nero itself wouldn’t change the reading speed. I didn’t mean to say that your explanation was wrong, because you were absolutely correct.

Originally posted by CDRecorder
I know. I just wanted to make it really clear that changing the speed in Nero itself wouldn’t change the reading speed. I didn’t mean to say that your explanation was wrong, because you were absolutely correct.

OK, no harm done

Thanks! :smiley:

Hello blueberry, also welcome to our forums. I would like to add to excellent replies of the gentleman above that you can find Nero Drive speed in the start menu -> Nero -> Nero Toolkit -> Nero Drivespeed.

Thanks for all the tips, and the welcomes. I did appreciate being directed towards the difference between Nero and Nero Drive Speed, one confusion cleared up.

But…one little question remains - what is a good speed to set for playing the type of games I mentioned? Or do you just experiment?

I’d recommend that you use the maximum speed. If the noise is annoying, just lower the speed enough so that the noise level is acceptable.

Hello Mr. Blueberry! For the games that you have mentioned, I would use 24X speed.
This is very ideal and quiet for those games - you should have no problems.

Regards,
Chris

Again thanks to all for your help. Have now got the hang of it and using 24X - works well.

I’m glad to hear that it’s working well!