What´s all the Mahalo about?

vbimport

Is it all over for Google and Digg and Wikipedia?

Can Mahalo make a difference?

Like many users, I’ve been losing faith in Google, Digg, and Wikipedia for research and information gathering. Google is still great for looking up specific problems or finding specific things that you already know exist. Wikipedia is still fine for getting quick definitions. And Digg, well, I’m not sure what Digg is good for anymore. Unfortunately, none of them are consistently effective enough for the serious information gathering that IT professionals need.

However, I think that Mahalo is a tool that has the potential to succeed where these three are currently failing. Mahalo is a search engine powered by people rather than algorithms. It was founded by Jason Calacanis, who had formerly run Engadget and Silicon Valley Reporter. He launched Mahalo during the summer of 2007 with the initial goal of creating human-generated search results pages for the top 50,000 search terms on the Web…

…The reason why Mahalo has the potential to succeed from this information gathering perspective is that it taps into the power of the crowds on the Internet while also providing clear, transparent leadership for its entries. The formula provides strong search results pages that aren’t manipulated by a small group of users or by gaming the algorithm. Of course, Mahalo will rise or fall on the strength of its editors and the active participation of its community…

- Jason Hiner, Tech Republic

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=577&tag=nl.e138
You may have to log-in to read the full article

I wonder where are the “old” paper books :wink:

No, because

Mahalo will rise or fall on the strength of its editors and the active participation of its community…