What write speed should I use?

vbimport

I am going to do some tests with Nero CD-DVD Speed and my 7200A burner. I noticed that the CD-DVD Speed user guide does not have guidelines for what speed you should use when doing the Create Disc test. Can I use the highest speed possible, or is it better to use a lower speed?

And a strange thing I noticed is that I have Verbatim DVD+R discs (MCC 004) and Verbatim DVD-R discs (MCC 03RG20) that are 16X, but when I put them in the drive, the Create Disc test allows me to choose 18X for the DVD+R disc and 20X for the DVD-R disc. Is that right? Does that mean NEC tested those media at higher than their rated speeds and determined it was OK to burn them faster?

Oh I forgot to ask - is it OK to use 48X writing speed for a CDR in the Create Disc test, or should I use a lower speed?

use all burn speeds and do a quality test with a benq 1620, 1640, 1650 or a lite-on dvd writer.

you can perform the dvd quality test with your 7200 but only compare the results with your own 7200 results and not those of cdfreaks members using benq or liteOn drives.

[QUOTE=sl_dvd;2189754]And a strange thing I noticed is that I have Verbatim DVD+R discs (MCC 004) and Verbatim DVD-R discs (MCC 03RG20) that are 16X, but when I put them in the drive, the Create Disc test allows me to choose 18X for the DVD+R disc and 20X for the DVD-R disc. Is that right? Does that mean NEC tested those media at higher than their rated speeds and determined it was OK to burn them faster?[/QUOTE]

Yes, some media can be burned at faster than the speed it is rated at or that is on the packaging. However, the results are not guaranteed to be good. All you can do is try it and see how it works. If you want to be safe though, never burn faster than a media’s rated speed.