What would you suggest as a good, reliable (1.5TB) hard drive?

Hi,

I’m looking for a 1.5 tb hard drive, to store my music, photos and videos. I’m not planning to make a backup of them (since they’re not that important like family pictures etc.). That doesn’t mean I don’t care much about the data- I find reliability the most important thing concerning hard drives.

My question is: what would you suggest as a good reliable hard drive. Besides reliability it should be fast (although I don’t find that really important), preferably with metal casing and most of all quiet.

I’m especially interested in the WD Elements 1.5TB and the Samsung Story Station 1.5TB. Of these two, which one can be most recommended? Or is there another one (on the same price level) that you would suggest? Thanks in advance!

Daan

Based on NewEgg user reviews, the WD Elements seems to be given the highest proportion of 5-star ratings with 83% for this and 67% for the Samsung Story station. Going by the user reviews, both drives seem to be pretty silent.

From my own experience, Western Digital drives seem to give the least failure rates for desktop drives and I have only had one failure after using them in several desktop PCs after about 7 years.

Another thing to consider is the spin rate of the platters. There are a few “green” drives out that run at a maximum of 5,400 rpm and control spin rate plus shut down the spinning when not in use. This lowers temperatures (a big killer of hard drives) and reduces wear on the drives. Samsung and WD make these drives among others. I think the Samsung “green” drives are the most reliable at the moment.

All HDDs will die eventually so technically no one is better, keep backups and you’ll be fine.
You’re most likely better off with WD than Samsung performance-wise.
//Danne

When using a drive for storage, having peak performance typically isn’t that important. The lower spin rate combined with the power down features of the “green” drives should enhance their durability/reliability.

Should doesn’t mean that it is so, as far as I’ve seen spin down is usually more fatal for a HDD than a constant spinning one. As for spin rate I don’t see manufacturers having longer warranty on those drives than on 7200 RPM ones.
//Danne

Ok, thanks for you responses guys!

I’m inclined to go for the WD model, because of the positive reviews and the experience I’ve had with them.
There’s one thing that confuses me though: on amazon.com is stated that the hard drive has a firm plastic casing while amazon.co.uk states that it has a metal casing… Do you think there a two different models here?

Going by Western Digital’s own brochure for the 1TB model, it has a metal case. Unfortunately, it’s hard to tell for certain with the 1.5TB drive as they don’t mention in their offiical specifications or brochure. The weight of both the 1.5TB and 1TB models are 1.02kg and the dimensions are identical, so I would imagine the 1.5TB to have a metal case to have this same weight and dimensions.

Elements may very well be plastic since the “New Edition” of it appaears to be in plastic.

//Danne

Verbatim external with eSATA and usb…

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2492355]Should doesn’t mean that it is so, as far as I’ve seen spin down is usually more fatal for a HDD than a constant spinning one. As for spin rate I don’t see manufacturers having longer warranty on those drives than on 7200 RPM ones.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Logic dictates that given two drives with the same basic level of technology, the one that operates under less stressful conditions is the one that should see fewer failures. Add to this a drive that will see hours of down time per day where the HD isn’t utilized and 5,400 rpm drive looks to be the better bet, IMO. Besides, how is a marginally faster drive going to make a video play better of an MP3 sound better? The difference in start time of the files would also be imperceptible. The drives are too new to know if one has a legitimate advantage over the other but I doubt the 5,400 rpm green drives are at a disadvantage to the 7,200 rpm ones regarding longevity and/or reliability.

Yes, the current WD model has a plastic casing. The confusion is caused because many shops still have the specs of the previous model, which had a metal casing. After seeing some video’s and images I know for sure that the current model has a plastic casing. It’s a shame, they’d better sticked to the previous design. I’m still planning to buy it though (mainly because of reliability and good reputation of the brand). Agree?