What would you guys do?

vbimport

I have a 2+ year old hp laptop that has a dying hard drive. I’m debating whether I should buy a totally new laptop or just try to replace the drive and see if all the problems are fixed. I found what seems like a very good drive on newegg (a 320-gig samsung SATA) that I am willing to buy, but I’m not sure if I should do that or try to find a deal on a new laptop. Let’s see what a few of you computer geniuses think :slight_smile:
P.S. If you think I should buy a new laptop, i’m willing to pay ~$650 for it.

well i guess it depends if you think it’s worth it or not… cause if you happy with the general performance of your current laptop i would probably just replace the hard drive in your current one (much cheaper that way cause it might be 100 dollars tops depending on size of hard drive you want)… if the laptop is slow i would just say screw it and buy a new laptop if you dont mind spending the cash.

but for 650 dollars you should be able to find a decent laptop should you decide to buy a new one.

Alright thanks. I checked my HD performance/health and they were at 72%/0%, respectively.
Is it possible to transfer my OS and microsoft office to a new hard drive?

Also…what is everyone’s favorite place to shop for a new laptop online?

well if the hard drive is dead there aint much you can do besides replace hard drive and reinstall windows from scratch.

as far as places to buy from online… i always been a big fan of newegg.com in general… although it cant hurt to check around online like ebay etc etc… but typically speaking a buy a high percentage of my PC related stuff from newegg.com

but like it say in my opinion it’s this simple…

• if your happy with the general performance of your current laptop = buy a replacement hard drive.

• if you think your laptop has been slow etc etc = buy a new laptop :wink:

The drive isn’t dead…just dying. I’m actually using my laptop right now…and I have backed up my entire C: drive on my external hard drive.

I’ll check newegg and a few other reputable places and see what I can find.
Thanks NBR :slight_smile:

ok i see :wink:

well just copying files from C to another source wont be enough to reinstall windows… you pretty much need to ‘ghost’ the drive if you want it back to exactly like it is now.

but to do that i suppose you will need both hard drives (the dying one and a new replacement drive) connected to the laptop and use a free program called ‘ping’ (it’s linux related but it has a interface so it’s not to hard to use) to duplicated the dead drive to the new one.

p.s. im assuming there is a way to connect two hard drives to it (there might not be cause i never really messed with laptop’s to much)… if not, you can always burn all your important data to a dvd recordable disc (or copy to external hard drive) before reinstalling windows from scratch.

I created a backup [I]image[/I] of the drive, not just backed up the files. Does that make a difference? Sorry I wasn’t clear there. Perhaps I’ll keep my laptop off until I get back to college where I have all my media…that way I can make a recovery disc.

that ‘backup image’ what did you do to make that?

also… i assume your laptop has that D partition for a recovery drive? (cause my sisters does and has a option (program on the PC from manufacturer) to backup the windows install etc to a few dvd’s)

i made it with a program called ‘Macrium Reflect’.
I do have a D partition for recovery, but somehow it got totally fragged.

ok i see… i never heard of that application but if it does a bit for bit copy of the hard drive and can restore that… it should work.

so as long as you trust that program i would think your good… but like i say i would make a duplicate of all your important data (i.e. family photo’s etc) on a external hard drive in case you gotta wipe out and start from scratch.

but since the D partition got wiped out i guess there aint much we can do there. lol.

and let me guess… the laptop manufacturer does not give you actual restore discs with that laptop? lol (cause it seems like alot of people doing that ‘d partition’ crap nowadays instead of giving you physical disc for restoration which is a safer bet.

p.s. but typically speaking if you got a windows disc i would recommend reinstalling windows from scratch as your laptop will probably run better that way anyways since it wont be loaded down with applications.

Lol yeah my hard drive is completely fragged. I’m shocked it has lasted this long to be honest.

I don’t have any restore discs…I wish I did.

I think I’m leaning towards a clean install of everything. I have a ton of useless applications on here that I would be happy to get rid of.
If it turns out my laptop isn’t gonna cut it with a new hard drive, I’ll have a nice 320-gig beast for my next laptop.

Thanks for the advise

[QUOTE=wazzy;2184697]I have a 2+ year old hp laptop that has a dying hard drive. I’m debating whether I should buy a totally new laptop or just try to replace the drive and see if all the problems are fixed. I found what seems like a very good drive on newegg (a 320-gig samsung SATA) that I am willing to buy, but I’m not sure if I should do that or try to find a deal on a new laptop. Let’s see what a few of you computer geniuses think :slight_smile:
P.S. If you think I should buy a new laptop, i’m willing to pay ~$650 for it.[/QUOTE]

I have dealt with this issue on my wife’s and friends laptops and, IMO, if the laptop still serves its purpose for you then keep it and install a new hard drive. I recommend getting one of those IDE/SATA to USB connectors. Those things are invaluable for what I am going to suggest. If the hard drive is still working then get the previously mentioned connector, a new hard drive and a copy of Norton Ghost. Then connect the new hard drive through the USB connector and use Ghost to clone the old hard drive to it. Take out the dying HD and install the new one and you are off to the races like nothing ever happened. I have done this 5-6 times and it works like a charm. It shouldn’t take more than 1-2 hours total and even shorter if you aren’t transferring that much data between the drives.

I just read your last post. If the old hard drive won’t boot you still might be able to access it with the USB connector. Then use another computer to clone the old disk to the new one.

Thanks UTR. Where do you suggest I get a IDE/SATA to USB connector…and how much do they usually cost? Sounds like a pretty slick way to go

I just did this very thing for a friend whose laptop hard drive was dying. His hard drive had to be held in a certain position in order to get it to run right for cloning! It worked long enough to get the job done and his laptop runs great now and I didn’t have to worry about reinstalling windows, drivers and software. Here is some of the adapters available from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816014
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812150032

So I have all the stuff I think I need. I bought the adapter and just got my drive in the mail. I used Macrium reflect to make an image of the files and swapped the drives. My new drive won’t boot up. Do you have any ideas what I did wrong? I’m guessing I formatted something wrong because I had to format my new drive (never done that before) and then put all my old files on one of the partitions I made. Everything seemed to work like a charm until I swapped drives.
Perhaps I need to shell out 50-60 bucks more for norton ghost? I sure hope not…lol I’m broke.

1. Check that you’ve set the partition on the new HDD as the ACTIVE PARTITION

Check to see if it boots …

1. Rerun the windows installation CD, and have it repair the boot sectors only :wink:

Check to see if it boots …

1. Re-run the windows installation CD (it helps if you have a slipstreamed CD with the latest Service Pack matching your current install), and have it re-install windows as a REPAIR existing installation - you’ll have to download & reinstall all newer M$ patches/services - but all your apps + documents & settings will still be intact.

When I do it I use Ghost and opt for the “clone a drive” option. I typically long format the new drive before cloning to make sure all is good with it. I am not familiar with the program you referenced but it looks like it should get the job done.

There’s also a free disc cloning app - or collection of freeware apps - called clonezilla, which I used to successfully move a Vista installation to a smaller partition (so I could put linux on it too) - can also resize partitions on the destination drive & whatnot.

Thanks guys. I realized earlier today that I had to put it to active…i’m gonna work on it tomorrow and hopefully have no more problems. Otherwise…I’ll be back :confused:
If I want to try linux out, how large of a partition do you guys suggest making for it?

OK…so here’s the current deal: I made a recovery disc with something called “Bart PE” (similar to Windows PE). From what i’ve gathered (i’m really not experienced at all with hard drives) I should be able to boot up with that and then restore my files from my new hard drive. I can boot up, but when I try to restore files, my new drive doesn’t show up. I get the feeling this is a simple fix, but I haven’t found a solution yet. Any suggestions? I do have the command prompt and a few other basic programs when I boot with Bart PE…