What would cause this Account screen to pop up?

I’m running Windows XP Home Edition on my first home build but I have an issue I’d like to get resolved.

When I turn the computer on or reboot this screen (see photo below) pops up and I hit the “OK” button and my computer proceeds to load Windows and my settings as it should.

But I’d like to remove this step. Can I get some advice on how to get rid of this issue so I won’t have to hit OK every time I turn the computer on?

I sure would appreciate some help on this. Thanks to all.

Here is what MS has to say about it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303846

Whappo, according to the site you gave me, this only pertains to Windows Professional…plus it says “Unable to log you on because of an account [U]restriction[/U]”…my error screen doesn’t say anything about an account restriction…plus I’m able to log on by hitting the simply hitting the OK button in the dialog…and I’m not trying to connect to windows using a [U]Remote Desktop tool[/U].

Here’s what the site you referred me to says…“When you try to connect to a Windows XP-based computer by using the [U]Remote Desktop tool[/U], you may receive the following error message:
Unable to log you on because of an [U]account restriction[/U]”.

I don’t think this is the same issue as I have Whappo. I could be wrong…and I do appreciate your trying to help me. That is what really counts.

Hi,

logging on as user “Administrator” on Windows XP Home should normally only be possible in Safe Mode. This is per design.

You should have an account with administrative permissions (and a different name) for system maintenance, and for normal work, especially for any online activities, there should be a second account with restricted permissions.
Both types of accounts should be protected by a password. See Windows Help for details, please.

If you install TweakUI from MS, you can configure an “Auto Logon” for one account.

Michael

Sorry about that. Here’s the one for XP Home Edition:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290109

I think that the word ‘restriction’ is just not being displayed but it is there.

Thanks Whappo and Michael. I’ll check both recommendations out and let you know if I was able to get rid of that pesty account error.

Thanks to you both for helping me on this.