What works with Blu-Ray like Recode

vbimport

Hey smileychgo

It sounds like you want to make backups to optical disks, and not to a hard drive. For that process I recommend BD Rebuilder and ClownBD, depending on the size of the original movie and whether you are doing a complete backup or movie only.

BD Rebuilder can make a complete backup, or movie only backup and compress the video to fit a 25gb disk. The quality will be quite good, indistinguishable from the original when playing back the video. I suggest reading the guide linked in my signature for BD Rebuilder. It is a free program.

ClownBD isn’t strictly necessary, but I use it on occasion when I want to select just the main movie [B]and[/B] the main movie will fit onto a 25gb disk without compression. Sometimes the main movie is split into several different m2ts files, and ClownBD is a good way to put them together.

If you are willing to make full backups to 50gb disks, you don’t need either of those two programs. All you need is AnyDVD HD and ImgBurn. Decrypt with AnyDVD HD and use the built in ripper to put the entire movie on the hard drive as an ISO. Then burn with ImgBurn to a DL 50gb blu ray disk. The only problem is the cost of the blank 50gb disks…which can be as much as many commercially made blu ray movies! Not many people choose to do this.

By the way, I recommend decrypting and ripping the entire movie to the hard drive first, no matter which program you use to work with the movie. AnyDVD HD can rip as files, or as an ISO. If you are going to upgrade AnyDVD, I suggest doing so before the 1st of January. The lifetime updates will no longer be available after that date for new purchases or upgrades.

ImgBurn is the program of choice when burning blu ray video. Use UDF 2.5 setting…the program will prompt you to use this if you have it set wrong.

You’ll need PowerDVD to play back your movies on the computer. It won’t do anything else. If you decide to play movies from the hard drive, you should rip them as ISO files, then mount in the free program from Slysoft called VirtualClone Drive. You can also work with them when mounted in this virtual drive.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2561933]Hey smileychgo

It sounds like you want to make backups to optical disks, and not to a hard drive. For that process I recommend BD Rebuilder and ClownBD, depending on the size of the original movie and whether you are doing a complete backup or movie only.

BD Rebuilder can make a complete backup, or movie only backup and compress the video to fit a 25gb disk. The quality will be quite good, indistinguishable from the original when playing back the video. I suggest reading the guide linked in my signature for BD Rebuilder. It is a free program.

ClownBD isn’t strictly necessary, but I use it on occasion when I want to select just the main movie [B]and[/B] the main movie will fit onto a 25gb disk without compression. Sometimes the main movie is split into several different m2ts files, and ClownBD is a good way to put them together.

If you are willing to make full backups to 50gb disks, you don’t need either of those two programs. All you need is AnyDVD HD and ImgBurn. Decrypt with AnyDVD HD and use the built in ripper to put the entire movie on the hard drive as an ISO. Then burn with ImgBurn to a DL 50gb blu ray disk. The only problem is the cost of the blank 50gb disks…which can be as much as many commercially made blu ray movies! Not many people choose to do this.

By the way, I recommend decrypting and ripping the entire movie to the hard drive first, no matter which program you use to work with the movie. AnyDVD HD can rip as files, or as an ISO. If you are going to upgrade AnyDVD, I suggest doing so before the 1st of January. The lifetime updates will no longer be available after that date for new purchases or upgrades.

ImgBurn is the program of choice when burning blu ray video. Use UDF 2.5 setting…the program will prompt you to use this if you have it set wrong.

You’ll need PowerDVD to play back your movies on the computer. It won’t do anything else. If you decide to play movies from the hard drive, you should rip them as ISO files, then mount in the free program from Slysoft called VirtualClone Drive. You can also work with them when mounted in this virtual drive.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Kerry for the informative reply. I wish I had the time to install this drive tonight but I don’t. Maybe tomorrow. I’m very anxious to see how this works. One more question: do you think DVDFab HD & Passkey will do the job as well as the softwares you’ve mentioned?

Thanks,

Wyman

Most of the people who make copies of their blu ray disks use AnyDVD HD as the decryption program. It would be my first choice. Also, since you own the regular AnyDVD, an upgrade would be less expensive than buying both DVDFab Blu Ray Copy and Passkey for Blu ray. (not quite sure why you’d need both of them)

I don’t use DVDFab for conversion of blu ray, but from what I’ve read, it seems to be set by default on a very fast encode profile. They seem to have emphasized speed and convenience over better quality, and I’m not sure how much control you have in that program.

BD Rebuilder has quite a lot of options, and you cannot beat its price. It uses the X264 encoder, which is being updated quite often, and is as good as it gets for non-professional level high definition encoding with H264. I’ve recently read that Pegasys (makers of TMPGenc products) have switched from the MainConcept encoder over to the X264 encoder in their commercial products, which is a good indication of the quality of X264. So, to sum up, even if someone [B]gave[/B] me a copy of DVDFab Blu ray, I’d still use BD Rebuilder.

I have no idea what DVDFab is using for their encoder, they may pay to use X264 also. :slight_smile: So take my criticisms with a grain of salt. I just don’t particularly like their business strategies or history.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2561947]Most of the people who make copies of their blu ray disks use AnyDVD HD as the decryption program. It would be my first choice. Also, since you own the regular AnyDVD, an upgrade would be less expensive than buying both DVDFab Blu Ray Copy and Passkey for Blu ray. (not quite sure why you’d need both of them)

I don’t use DVDFab for conversion of blu ray, but from what I’ve read, it seems to be set by default on a very fast encode profile. They seem to have emphasized speed and convenience over better quality, and I’m not sure how much control you have in that program.

BD Rebuilder has quite a lot of options, and you cannot beat its price. It uses the X264 encoder, which is being updated quite often, and is as good as it gets for non-professional level high definition encoding with H264. I’ve recently read that Pegasys (makers of TMPGenc products) have switched from the MainConcept encoder over to the X264 encoder in their commercial products, which is a good indication of the quality of X264. So, to sum up, even if someone [B]gave[/B] me a copy of DVDFab Blu ray, I’d still use BD Rebuilder.

I have no idea what DVDFab is using for their encoder, they may pay to use X264 also. :slight_smile: So take my criticisms with a grain of salt. I just don’t particularly like their business strategies or history.[/QUOTE]
Thanks again Kerry. Looks like I’ll be able to install the drive tonight. I’ve printed your BD Rebuilder guide for reference to use. You mentioned ClownBD also - is there a guide for it? I went to the homepage and there was only links to download the author’s products. Which brings me to ask - is ClownBD Copier different from ClownBD? I’m a little confused about this one. I want to try both programs to see which one I’ll prefer. Please excuse all the questions but I have to ask them before I forget. LOL :slight_smile:

Wyman

ClownBD Copier is a different program than ClownBD. Copier will extract the main movie and give you the menu as well. I’ve never used it since I tend to get rid of menus whenever possible.

The only guide I know of for ClownBD is this one: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Remux_Blu-ray_HD_DVD_Main_Movie_for_Playback
In that one, the author is making .ts files as output, but you would want to select blu ray in the Movie Output Format line in ClownBD.

Not sure if you caught the distinction between ClownBD and BD Rebuilder, so I’ll say it clearly here. ClownBD will not compress the movie to give you a smaller size that will fit onto a 25gb disk. I use it on those occasions when I just want the main movie, and it is already small enough to fit. BD Rebuilder is what you should use when compression is necessary.

Both ClownBD and BDRebuilder have recently added the capability to output as dvd-video, but that is not high definition. Converting to dvd-video is ClownBD’s only compression capability at the moment.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2562142]ClownBD Copier is a different program than ClownBD. Copier will extract the main movie and give you the menu as well. I’ve never used it since I tend to get rid of menus whenever possible.

The only guide I know of for ClownBD is this one: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Remux_Blu-ray_HD_DVD_Main_Movie_for_Playback
In that one, the author is making .ts files as output, but you would want to select blu ray in the Movie Output Format line in ClownBD.

Not sure if you caught the distinction between ClownBD and BD Rebuilder, so I’ll say it clearly here. ClownBD will not compress the movie to give you a smaller size that will fit onto a 25gb disk. I use it on those occasions when I just want the main movie, and it is already small enough to fit. BD Rebuilder is what you should use when compression is necessary.

Both ClownBD and BDRebuilder have recently added the capability to output as dvd-video, but that is not high definition. Converting to dvd-video is ClownBD’s only compression capability at the moment.[/QUOTE]
I guess i was reading a bit too fast and missed the difference between the two. I’m sure I’ll be posting back with questions. Drive is installed (after a few issues) and next is downloading BD Rebuilder and ClownBD.

Thanks for your help.

Wyman

Hi Kerry - I finally got around to installing the blu-ray drive and BD-Rebuilder program. I also installed the DVDFab 30 day trial program since it rips blu-rays also. I used the movie Twister for my experimenting purposes. My first test was the DVDFab program and I ripped a Main Movie only to the hard drive. I noticed it created 2 folders: bdmv and certificates. I’m assuming the movie is in one of those folders since I got the ‘successful’ burning tone at the end. I’m not sure how I would burn this with ImgBurn.

Next, I pulled out the guide you created and followed it to the t. The only difference here was that your guide covered version 0.34.2 beta and I installed the latest version which is 0.36.06 beta. Once the backup started, I left it alone and went to doing something since it could take a while. I went back to check on it and noticed the current progress was at 100% so I figured it was complete but also had an error that said “tsmuxer has stopped working. Please click close to see if Windows find a solution to this…” When I closed that dialog window, nothing happened…so I’m unsure what happened to get that error. I shut the computer down and went to bed and figured I’d just post my problem to see if anyone else has experienced this. Maybe it’s a simple setting that I missed but I’m sure I only selected the things in your screen prints.

Also when I went to preview one of the title, I got an error. Here’s a screen shot:

I look forward to getting some additional feedback from you regarding my BD-Rebuilder issues.

Thanks,
Wyman

I would need to see the log file from BD-Rebuilder.

When you run Inspect.exe, you see no problems, correct? Which operating system are you using? If it is Win7, you may have to right click the BD Rebuilder executable and run as Administrator the first time you run the program.

Both folders have to be included when you burn the output from DVDFab. Import both into ImgBurn and it should recognize that you have blu ray video structrure.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2562387]I would need to see the log file from BD-Rebuilder.

When you run Inspect.exe, you see no problems, correct? Which operating system are you using? If it is Win7, you may have to right click the BD Rebuilder executable and run as Administrator the first time you run the program.

Both folders have to be included when you burn the output from DVDFab. Import both into ImgBurn and it should recognize that you have blu ray video structrure.[/QUOTE]
Where would I find the log? I’ll have to post it when I get home.

I’m running Win7 Ultimate. When I first ran Inspect, it showed that Win7 wasn’t configured correctly for 3 codecs but when I ran BD-Rebuilder for the first time, it knew that also and I said yes to fix the problem.

Are we on the same time zone? I’m in Chicago, USA and current time is now 11:05a.m.

The log file should be in the output folder.

You were working with a main movie only rip from DVDFab? I haven’t done that. I always rip as a complete movie in ISO format, then mount the ISO in VirtualClone Drive to work with it in BD Rebuilder. No pre-processing in other words. You could also rip as a complete movie in file format if you prefer…I just keep ISO’s on a large hard drive to playback on my HTPC.
Did you reboot between encoding with Fab and starting BD Rebuilder?

And yes, Central time zone. I may be scarce till tonight.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2562412]The log file should be in the output folder.

You were working with a main movie only rip from DVDFab? I haven’t done that. I always rip as a complete movie in ISO format, then mount the ISO in VirtualClone Drive to work with it in BD Rebuilder. No pre-processing in other words. You could also rip as a complete movie in file format if you prefer…I just keep ISO’s on a large hard drive to playback on my HTPC.
Did you reboot between encoding with Fab and starting BD Rebuilder?

And yes, Central time zone. I may be scarce till tonight.[/QUOTE]
No. I was working with the actual disc. I tried the disc first in DVDFab as my first test - then again in BD-Rebuilder as a 2nd test to see how it would work since it’s free and there’s only a trial of DVDFab. So this is 2 separate processings. Maybe I can try to create an ISO in DVDFab and work with the image in BD-Rebuilder. Seems like a longer process though.

Ok here’s the BD-Rebuilder log. Not sure what it means.

[22:52:47] BD Rebuilder v0.36.06 (beta)

• Source: LOGICAL_VOLUME_ID
  • Input BD size: 20.48 GB
  • Approximate total content: [01:46:48.819]
  • Target BD size: 22.95 GB
  • Windows Version: 6.1 [7600]
  • Quality: High Quality (Default), Two Pass
  • Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
    [22:52:47] PHASE ONE, Encoding
  • [22:52:47] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
  • [22:52:53] Reencoding: VID_00001 (1 of 4)
  • [22:52:53] Collecting video information
  • [22:52:53] Keeping original video (no reencode)
  • [22:52:53] Reencoding audio tracks (if req’d)
  • [22:52:53] Multiplexing M2TS
  • [22:52:54] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00003]
  • [22:53:02] Reencoding: VID_00003 (2 of 4)
  • [22:53:02] Collecting video information
  • [22:53:02] Keeping original video (no reencode)
  • [22:53:02] Reencoding audio tracks (if req’d)
  • [22:53:02] Multiplexing M2TS
  • [22:53:03] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00002]
  • [22:53:27] Reencoding: VID_00002 (3 of 4)
  • [22:53:27] Collecting video information
  • [22:53:27] Keeping original video (no reencode)
  • [22:53:27] Reencoding audio tracks (if req’d)
  • [22:53:27] Multiplexing M2TS
  • [22:53:28] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
  • [23:17:19] Reencoding: VID_00000 (4 of 4)
  • [23:17:19] Collecting video information
  • [23:17:19] Keeping original video (no reencode)
  • [23:17:19] Reencoding audio tracks (if req’d)
  • [23:17:19] Multiplexing M2TS
  • Error in attempt to multiplex: MUX_00000.meta
  • SmartLabs tsMuxeR. Version 1.10.6 http://www.smlabs.net
    [23:18:29] - Failed to build structure, aborted

Ok, now you have me really confused. You tried to work with BD Rebuilder straight from a commercially made blu ray disk? And you didn’t have AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Blu ray Passkey running in the background?

BD Rebuilder does [B]not [/B]work with encrypted disks. Period. It has no decryption abilities whatsoever. That is one of the first things mentioned in my guide and at the BD Rebuilder download page.

And you should never try to compress a video straight from the disk. It takes much longer and puts a lot of wear and tear on your optical drive. Always rip the movie to the hard drive, and in that process remove encryption, before trying to use an encoding program.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2562502]Ok, now you have me really confused. You tried to work with BD Rebuilder straight from a commercially made blu ray disk? And you didn’t have AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Blu ray Passkey running in the background?

BD Rebuilder does [B]not [/B]work with encrypted disks. Period. It has no decryption abilities whatsoever. That is one of the first things mentioned in my guide and at the BD Rebuilder download page.

And you should never try to compress a video straight from the disk. It takes much longer and puts a lot of wear and tear on your optical drive. Always rip the movie to the hard drive, and in that process remove encryption, before trying to use an encoding program.[/QUOTE]
Sorry to have confused you but yes I did use DVDFab Passkey to decrypt the movie. That’s how I was able to create the folders for the first test.

I still don’t recommend working with BD Rebuilder straight from the disk. Removing the advanced protections seen on blu ray on the fly is not the best choice.

It looks like the program failed when trying to multiplex (remux) the audio and video streams. (demux means to separate the streams, remux is blending them back together into one) I’ve never seen that failure in BD Rebuilder. Actually, I’ve never had the program fail at any point.

I’ll ask jdobbs for help with this, but I don’t expect much. He gets a bit cranky when people use something other than AnyDVD HD for decryption, then have problems.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2562521]I still don’t recommend working with BD Rebuilder straight from the disk. Removing the advanced protections seen on blu ray on the fly is not the best choice.

It looks like the program failed when trying to multiplex (remux) the audio and video streams. (demux means to separate the streams, remux is blending them back together into one) I’ve never seen that failure in BD Rebuilder. Actually, I’ve never had the program fail at any point.

I’ll ask jdobbs for help with this, but I don’t expect much. He gets a bit cranky when people use something other than AnyDVD HD for decryption, then have problems.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your patience Kerry. I’ll upgrade my AnyDVD tomorrow to HD and rip the Blu-ray to hard drive first and see if I still get this error. I have a feeling I won’t but I’ll definitely report my results. I’ll also be testing the ClownBD. BD-Rebuilder seems to very easy and straightforward.

jdobbs says that something was corrupted in the extraction, then failed in remuxing. This is probably due to working from the disk using Passkey.

Just one man’s experience, but maybe it will help someone and save some money: I have been using AnyDVDHD with BDRebuilder to process and backup my BD movies with very good results. But, when I saw that DVDFabHD had come out with a Bluray Copy version that appeared to be a one-click solution, I got lazy (and stupid) and bought it. I mistakenly assumed when you bought their top product, it came with other capabilities. But no, you have to pay for every feature separately. What a rip-off. Anyway, when I got Inception, I backed it up with DVDFab Bluray Copy to a BD9 (DL) disc. IT CAME OUT LIKE SH*T!!! The video was pixelated and the color was washed out and the PQ was like VHS, not even SD DVD. Maybe it works better if copied to a real BD disc, but to DL it was crap.:a I then processed Inception by ripping to my HD with AnyDVDHD and compressing movie only to DL using BDRebuilder and it looks like a real HD bluray movie. What an incredible difference. What a waste of money DVDFabHD was. I won’t be using it again. AnyDVDHD & BDRebuilder is the way to go, period.:bow:

Just an update. Ripping to the hard drive first and then using BD-Rebuilder didn’t give me an error.

[QUOTE=ricoman;2562576]AnyDVDHD & BDRebuilder is the way to go, period.:bow:[/QUOTE]

QFT. i did that only once mind you and it worked without any probs what so ever. compressing using BDRebuilder took about 6 hours and the initial rip took about an hour and a half using AnyDVD HD.

i have a question about AnyDVD HD. when decrypting it to the HDD using AnyDVD Ripper i chose to remove the protection by leaving the “Keep Protection (Blu-ray / HD DVD)” unchecked, and also for “Create additional .dvd file)”:

my question is how can i check that the protection is removed? i have been using PowerDVD 8 to playback the rip which i mount with Alcohol 120%.
in the configuration of PowerDVD 8 in the ‘Information’ tab it shows the following at the top:

Player information:
Player region code: Not Specified
Current drive: H:

now i know that the player region code isn’t specified because i am using AnyDVD HD to disable the region detection both for the original blu ray and the mounted images. i am scared to run it without using AnyDVD HD for fear of the ‘Changes remaining’ to be reduced.

is there any other blu ray player software app that could show me the disc’s region code for original and mounted blu rays?