What works with 10

vbimport

Hi Guys,
This is software and hardware, where to post it, I’m not sure.
I have a few good quality ageing laptops and desktops that run XP,or 7
I’ve trying to find out the minimum specs that will run Windows 10. I would hate to dump any of these machines really as they were expensive to build or buy.
Does any one have an idea about this, or is it something that no one knows yet?

I think the targeted specs will closely match Windows 7. Mind you, however, that getting drivers may be awkward; some manufactures artificially lock out newer OS versions to avoid a flood of support requests for older services.

The base specs for the current preview of 10: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq-system-requirements-pc

Looks like basic specs for a 7 or 8.1 device, or even Vista devices, and looks like it uses the same drivers as 7 and up.

Which XP machines do you have?

[I](Moved to the dedicated Windows 8 & 10 section)[/I]

Microsoft says that Windows 10 has the same requirements as Windows 8.1.

The basic requirements for 8.1 are here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq-system-requirements-pc

But be aware there are some cpus/motherboards that don’t support CMPXCHG16b in the 64bit version of Windows 8.1. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2058683/new-windows-8-1-requirements-strand-some-users-on-windows-8.html

Thanks Guys,
the requirements are met on these machines, but I think It will be suck it and see. I will try and install Windows 8.1 on the XP machines and if that works, I might be lucky. One old IBM Thinkpad will have to go, but the rest may just work, or hopefully some of them.

My experience is that Windows 10 is pretty good performance wise, I think you’ll notice no performance degradation, maybe even improvement!

What seems to be the biggest problem I gather from others is finding drivers. I have a few items that may be a problem. I will have to wait and see. I will let you know how I get on
I’ve just got the hang of 8.1 on a new laptop, yes, it does seem faster than 7, well now I’ve removed the bloat from it. What’s annoying is the sidebar and big clock appearing every time I quit an app and move the mouse pointer to the left.
Is this a bug, or is that how it’s supposed to be? It makes my wife say rude words when it does it on her 8.1 lappie. I hope 10 has this annoyance sorted. Both these lappies have touch screens, maybe it has something to do with that?

Hahaha, I know lots of people who say rude words when working with Windows 8(.1), the situation you describe is actually intentional and annoys the &@&^@ out of me too. Although I’ve gotten used to it now, it was a lot of annoyance and Windows 10 will certainly be better. The feature was actually meant for touchscreens, if you swipe to the left, it should become visible too. The menu you see is called the charms bar.

Here are more “gestures”, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/touch-swipe-tap-beyond

In Windows 8 and 8.1, I stay in the desktop and NEVER go into the Modern/Metro side of the operating system. I use StartisBack to avoid all that mess.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2754535]In Windows 8 and 8.1, I stay in the desktop and NEVER go into the Modern/Metro side of the operating system. I use StartisBack to avoid all that mess.[/QUOTE]

“Never” :bigsmile:

I haven’t tweaked my installation, so I’m constantly flinging between the traditional Desktop and the 8/8.1 Start Menu with relatively little pain. Going back to 7 on another computer occasionally makes me unlearn how to navigate my way around 8.1, like I’ll forget that I don’t get a list of recently used programs. But I’ve acclimated to just using the system-wide search to launch apps I want, since I had been doing that within OS X.

Well, its true. I don’t remember the last time I was in the other section. I’ve turned off all the hot corners, I don’t have the Charms bar intruding, and I log in straight to the desktop. When I hit the Windows key, I get the Startisback modified programs list. Its very rare that can I hit any combination of commands that will bring up the other part of the operating system. I’ve made other programs the default instead of any of the Modern apps, so even they don’t show up.

I know you can swipe the screen to get the enchanted charms bar, it has all the stuff on it, but it does sure take some getting used to. I could easily do without it and just use a start menu instead. It’s the “all programmes” bit I miss. Having to evoke the charm bar, then move the mouse pointer to get a little arrow in a circle to appear in the bottom left of the screen before you can find ALL of your apps/programmes is a bit weird. and long winded.
I was concerned that a programme such as StartisBack might upset the supposedly free upgrade to 10. I don’t know, will it, does it need removing before the update?
The other thing about the “free” update is if I decide I need to do a fresh install of 10 at a later date, do I have to buy a download of the complete thing, or reinstall 8.1, or 7 first to update again?
I could well do without all this S&%* really, I was more than happy with Windows 7! It’s nice to get back on this rig with the lovely soft edges of aero.

I will have to figure out how to turn off the modern GUI if it’s still as much of a pain in 10 as it is in 8.
Thanks for your input Guys, you’ve been most helpful. :smiley:

Well, I imagine that if they treat the upgrade to 10 as they’ve treated any past upgrade, where you can create a separate installation disc/drive by downloading an image of the full installer. And either during the Windows 10 installation process or thereafter, you might be able to get the activation key if it turns out that they don’t reuse your key from 8 or 8.1. (I’m not sure if they treated “upgrade” installation media differently from “retail/fresh install” installation media for Windows 8/8.1, but there have always been ways to work around that if you need to use an upgrade disc for a full fresh install).

With the move from 8 to 8.1 (and apparently going to 10), you had the (preferred) option of downloading the installer through the Windows Store (with any prerequisites being served by Windows Update) to do the upgrade more easily, but that’d mean you would have to roll back to 8 or 8.1 then upgrade, so every time you want to reinstall, you’ll have to roll back, then download the upgrade, then install.

This second option is the option you should expect to use (as they expect the average consumer to go this route), so if your Windows 7 systems came with recovery partitions & allow you to create recovery media, you should probably have that created BEFORE the final upgrade. Otherwise, if you manually installed 7, you’ll just have to install 7, maybe activate, then install and activate 10. That way, if creating a Windows 10 installation disc/drive fails, you’ll have a backup.

(Again, this assumes they stick to the ways they’ve been doing things).

Aww, what a pain! I think it would be better to buy a full disc, or licence for a full install. in the past, upgrades were never that successful generally anyway.

With the Windows 8 upgrade you could choose to do a clean install instead of going over the old system and try to keep anything. This is what I did.

Basically, this just checks to see if the earlier operating system is installed, then wipes it clean.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2754499]Thanks Guys,
the requirements are met on these machines, but I think It will be suck it and see. I will try and install Windows 8.1 on the XP machines and if that works, I might be lucky. One old IBM Thinkpad will have to go, but the rest may just work, or hopefully some of them.[/QUOTE]

That might end up with more headache then it helps…XP hardware won’t have WinX drivers for XP machines.

Any machine that has XP on it will be upgraded to 7 if possible, if not they’re scrap.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2754577]Any machine that has XP on it will be upgraded to 7 if possible, if not they’re scrap.[/QUOTE]

Not fully to the truth here…not all XP machine can go Windows 7 I seen it not work. Too old of XP hardware and it will not handle Windows 7 and lack of drivers will prevent such machine from going Windows 7 also time/money taken would been better to get a actual Windows 7 machine instead that works and is stable to use.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2754531]What seems to be the biggest problem I gather from others is finding drivers.[/QUOTE]

Actually this is the root of the problem as well drivers can make or break a O/S stability short term and long term usage.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2754531]I’ve just got the hang of 8.1 on a new laptop, yes, it does seem faster than 7, well now I’ve removed the bloat from it. What’s annoying is the sidebar and big clock appearing every time I quit an app and move the mouse pointer to the left.
Is this a bug, or is that how it’s supposed to be? It makes my wife say rude words when it does it on her 8.1 lappie. I hope 10 has this annoyance sorted. Both these lappies have touch screens, maybe it has something to do with that?[/QUOTE]

Another myth that needs to be dispelled on same clean machine setup(no extras) with matching O/S version aka Pro vs Pro of 7 or 8/8.1 in comparison you will never notice the difference from the human perspective. I love how people talk about being faster but in reality the difference is negligible you will never notice it.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2754535]In Windows 8 and 8.1, I stay in the desktop and NEVER go into the Modern/Metro side of the operating system. I use StartisBack to avoid all that mess.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good in practice buy why have to buy a 3rd party software when it should been there to start with and let the users decide how they want it to look. This is the practice M$ seems to have forgotten user customization.

[QUOTE=Albert;2754536]I haven’t tweaked my installation, so I’m constantly flinging between the traditional Desktop and the 8/8.1 Start Menu with relatively little pain. Going back to 7 on another computer occasionally makes me unlearn how to navigate my way around 8.1, like I’ll forget that I don’t get a list of recently used programs. But I’ve acclimated to just using the system-wide search to launch apps I want, since I had been doing that within OS X.[/QUOTE]

This is the problem the learning curve was lost when M$ tossed everyone out rather then do a evolution learning curve. This is why 8/8.1 is not liked or wanted by users. I see more users looking for Window 7 machine used/new then go for 8/8.1 that should tell M$ how bad their so called new Idea got flushed down the toilet. Not listening to the Testers and Preview user was their the start of the problem and will not be the END that I can see. Why should one have to use the search to do basic computing just tells me how disorganized M$ development teams are and they missed the boat on Windows 8.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2754541]When I hit the Windows key, I get the Startisback modified programs list. Its very rare that can I hit any combination of commands that will bring up the other part of the operating system. I’ve made other programs the default instead of any of the Modern apps, so even they don’t show up.[/QUOTE]

Another reason why Windows 8 is a failure to start…if you have to use a 3rd party software to get Windows 7 features that tells alot that the O/S isn’t highly regarded as a good O/S to use.