What wireless do i buy?

Hi everyone ,i am back with a network problem …i am on virgin wireless and i bought a d-link 140 adapter , everything worked until my grandson broke the 140 , so i thought there has to be an internal wireless solution , the 140 downloads at max 300mps ,a D LINK PCI USB ADAPTER donloads at 480mbps and a ethernet pci card claims to download at 1000bps . i dont mind if i have to install a cable as long as i get better download speeds , just upgraded to 10meg broadband , thanks for any answers brianr5451

Hi,

you have one computer that is connected to the box you got from your ISP? Or are there several computers in a network?

Then keep in mind that
the maximum download rate is defined by your internet connection (and the server “on the other side of the wire”). So the maximum is 10 Mbps. [I]Any [/I]network card (wired or wireless) can handle this transfer rate.
Check the manual of your computer, perhaps there is already a network card (for wired network) built-in. Usually, these integrated network cards support 100 Mbps or even 1000 Mbps.

the 140 downloads at max 300mps ,a D LINK PCI USB ADAPTER donloads at 480mbps
The latter is a plain marketing figure for USB connections (and such a card is useless for your purpose anyway), the former is also a theoretical value that is reached in the manufacturer’s laboratory under certain conditions. The maximum available speed between this wireless device and your wireless box depend on the maximum speed of your box and the radio transmisson conditions in your house.

Michael

This thing?

My advice: Never use USB for wireless unless you really have to. It costs cpu power and isn’t fast. If possible get a PCI network card.

HI THANKS FOR YOUR REPLYS , I LOOKED ON EBAY AND FOUND THIS … D LINK PCI USB ADAPTER 480mbps NEW DU-520 , LOOKED AT REVIEWS BUT ITS ALL GREEK TO ME , ANY ONE GOT A BETTER CHOICE ? MANY THANKS BRIANR5451

[QUOTE=brianr5451;2407094]EBAY AND FOUND THIS … D LINK PCI USB ADAPTER 480mbps NEW DU-520[/QUOTE]This is not a network controller.

And please, have your keyboard fixed. Writing in capitals is considered impolite shouting.

Michael

thanks for all your help , i did not know about capital letters being shouting , so sorry everyone . i made a mistake about the upgrade , i have gone up to 20Mb on virgin cable, which is why i wanted to increase speed with new hardware , i am a single computer user ,any recomendations for hardware ? thanks again brianr5451

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2312639]

My advice: Never use USB for wireless unless you really have to. It costs cpu power and isn’t fast. If possible get a PCI network card.[/QUOTE]

I don’t agree with this.

USB and PCI interfaces are both processed through the SB before they communicate with the CPU. Neither are saturated by a broadband connection before being passed through.

I used a USB wireless adapter for over 3 years with nary a problem and never noticed CPU utilization issues during that time.

Thanks Mr. Belvedere for reply , but i am even more confused now than before , at my age i just want to install and go . so do i keep the usb adapter or buy a Intel Pro Dual Gigabit Network Controller as was suggested , and ditch the pci network card , and any recomendations for a new router would be welcome . many thanks to you all for helping me , it might seem basic to some but to me its a lifeline . many thanks brianr5451 :confused: