What Will Replace Your Benq Drive?

Hi.

I have a chance to pick up a Benq DW1655 for $69 + $14 shipping.

I really hate to spend that much for a drive that many have gotten for much less.

I know that it is a hot item and everyone seems to absolutely LOVE this drive.

BUT… now that they are so hard to find… just WHAT… will everyone replace them with when it’s time to get a new drive?

I have heard that the NEC drives are a good choice.

But if price were not a factor ( within reason ) and you needed a new drive right now, what would you buy ?

These particular Benq drives (1650, 1655 ) have been out for a while and there must be something new and better out there.

But what ?

Tim

Hi,

there are not much manufacturers left:

• Liteon
  • Samsung
  • LG
  • Pioneer

That’s all. Latest NEC drive is a rebadged Liteon drive, Plextor recycles Pioneers, Philips and Sony are only marketing brands selling drives from other manufacturers under their own names.

No idea what could be considered the best replacement for a Nexperia Benq drive :frowning: since their features were really unique.

Gladly I have a spare Philips DVDR-1660P1 in case my Benq quits its service :wink:

Michael

Wait for price of Blu-ray writers to drop :wink:

Some of them seen to be quite nice DVD writers too :slight_smile:

So even NEC drops from the market now? they provide the chipsets for the Pioneer drives since 107 model AFAIK.

While the 1655 is a very very good drive, that indeed is a steep price to pay.

I got some BenQ DW1620’s for half that and they work TREMENDOUS. If you would like I could post some scans with my BenQ 1620 for you.

I have been getting around 13k PIE and UNDER 200 PIF with jitter’s in the 7.7 area. Very very good burns with my 1620.

Also got a 1625 that was workin about as well.

Well, I read that Liteon bought BenQ and/or merged with Philips.

I am confused as to who is doing what to who.

Is Liteon now making the same drives that Benq used to make in the same faciliuty and putting a Philips badge on them or what ?

I don’t care as long as it’s the same quality as the old Benq.

As far as Blu-ray… well, I don’t really know much about the format at all… other than the fact that it’s still a fight as to which format is the “future” of the DVD world.

Blu-ray or HD/DVD.

I have a Dell Computer which had an old Hitachi/LG drive and I was on the third replacement in 3 years.

So Dell sent me a Philips DVD8801 whihc is the same as the Benq DW1650.

So far, the Philips is working fine.

Tim

for me nothing can replace a Benq :disagree::disagree::disagree: Never :iagree:

If the Philips DVD8801 is a rebadged Benq DW1650…

Then what model of the Philips drive equals the Benq DW1655 ??? Is it the Philips DVDR1668 ?

Thanks, Tim

I Have 2 Benq 1650’s in case one of them dies. I also have a samsung 182M. It seems all the newer sammys are good writers. I know mine is. Just as good as my 1650 in tests I have done.

Hi,[QUOTE=pratzert;1927096]If the Philips DVD8801 is a rebadged Benq DW1650…

Then what model of the Philips drive equals the Benq DW1655 ??? Is it the Philips DVDR1668 ?[/quote]Yes. If that is a 1668[B]P[/B] (there is also a 1668[I]L[/I], sold as SPD6000, which is a Liteon rebadge).
The non-Lightscribe equivalents are DW1650 and DVDR1660P1.
(commercial names are different, see http://www.storageupdates.philips.com/en/dvdrw.html)

Michael

What about Sony/Nec Optiarc. Nice drive with 40 bucks. Free shipping.

[QUOTE=pratzert;1926882]Hi.

I have a chance to pick up a Benq DW1655 for $69 + $14 shipping.

I really hate to spend that much for a drive that many have gotten for much less.

I know that it is a hot item and everyone seems to absolutely LOVE this drive.

BUT… now that they are so hard to find… just WHAT… will everyone replace them with when it’s time to get a new drive?

I have heard that the NEC drives are a good choice.

But if price were not a factor ( within reason ) and you needed a new drive right now, what would you buy ?

These particular Benq drives (1650, 1655 ) have been out for a while and there must be something new and better out there.

But what ?

Tim[/QUOTE]

I bought a BenQ 1655 about 1 year ago and it has already given up the ghost, looks like the laser has died. However as I have a 24 month guarentee I contacted BenQ and they are going to replace the drive which surprised me as I thought they had stopped making DVD drives. If I were buying a new drive I would buy a Pioneer DVR-212 Sata drive.

Most probably a Nexperia BL (Blue Ray) burner manufactured by Lite-On.

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=achemen;1927081]for me nothing can replace a Benq :disagree::disagree::disagree: Never :iagree:[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly why I have 4 new 1650’s and 3 new 1640’s on the shelf ready to go :stuck_out_tongue:

I am pleased with the Samsung 203B that I have, however. Since I’ve always had good luck with everything Samsung (from monitors, to phones, to plasma TV’s, etc…) I’ll probably stick with them for awhile.

[QUOTE=Hurricane Andrew;1930533]That’s exactly why I have 4 new 1650’s and 3 new 1640’s on the shelf ready to go :stuck_out_tongue:

I am pleased with the Samsung 203B that I have, however. Since I’ve always had good luck with everything Samsung (from monitors, to phones, to plasma TV’s, etc…) I’ll probably stick with them for awhile.[/QUOTE]

wish i could find more 1640’s :kiss: i will Stack them up for sure :clap::clap:

I need to replace my dying 1655 with a new IDE drive in one of my PC’s. What is your guys input? I already have Pioneer 111 and Samsung 203b in that PC, but need one for scanning. They are so many Lite-On drives that I am confused which is which. And I did not have luck with my Lite-On 1693S drive before. Therefore reluctant to pick one up. What do you think?

[QUOTE=fairplay;1933122]…I already have Pioneer 111 and Samsung 203b in that PC, but need one for scanning…[/QUOTE]For average user Sammy S203 is a sufficient and reliable scanner.