What was your first rig?

vbimport

I know most of the people here are not as old as I am, but some might have some pretty good storys about their first computer. And don’t make fun of mine.The VTech Laser 200 was an early 8-bit home computer from 1983.

Commodore VIC-20. I added an 8" Floppy with a hand wired controller. Even wrote a rudimentary ‘page swapping’ OS for it. Had to write my own assembler in BASIC to do it… :cool:

Mine was a 486-DX33 with 4Mb of RAM from circa 1993. I thought it was a monster. I remember upgrading it to 32Mb of RAM for a whopping $1,200. I think the original cost of that computer was around $2,500. I still use the Northgate keyboard I bought with it on a daily basis.

I did use some late 1980s PCs (8086/8088) at work but the above is the first one I bought for personal use. After that one I have always built my own.

Both very cool, I remember when the Commodore 64 first came out in Tandy Crafts, it was a site to behold LOL.:bigsmile:

Commodore 64 for me . I still have a working one. I also have two single 5.25 floppy drives & one dual 5.25 floppy drive for it . For me it was & is mostly a game console.
My favorite game is “Death Sword” but this is a variation of “The Barbarian” . My favorite move is a jump & spin sword cut which when done correctly cuts the opponents head off. Then a little green ghoul kicks the opponents head off the screen & laughs.

I worked for a company that had the “green” lettered monitors around 1983 . I wasn’t in the computer department. I stocked & entered inventory on them. Also checked stock. The exec office was in another part of the city . That was where the main computer was. I remember it had the big reel magnetic tapes.

[QUOTE=cholla;2733294]Commodore 64 for me . I still have a working one. I also have two single 5.25 floppy drives & one dual 5.25 floppy drive for it . For me it was & is mostly a game console.
My favorite game is “Death Sword” but this is a variation of “The Barbarian” . My favorite move is a jump & spin sword cut which when done correctly cuts the opponents head off. Then a little green ghoul kicks the opponents head off the screen & laughs.

I worked for a company that had the “green” lettered monitors around 1983 . I wasn’t in the computer department. I stocked & entered inventory on them. Also checked stock. The exec office was in another part of the city . That was where the main computer was. I remember it had the big reel magnetic tapes.[/QUOTE]
and you programed them with RCA wires. LOL.

My first was an Atari STFM with 1 MB of RAM, and a Motorola 68000 CPU.
At the time it was the machine to have if you were into music production.

Mines was very posh, it had an 850MB HDD. :slight_smile:

You’ll still find them in use today in recording studios controlling MIDI time code (MTC), and other MIDI functions.

I had the Sinclair 1000, used a portable tape recorder to load programs, frogger was the latest and greatest computer game. it was hell getting the tape speed just right so that it would load
had an Atari game console for the TV. Battle ship was the game for that.

still have my 128, can not find a RGB monitor for it
Marty

[QUOTE=thor21344;2733304]I had the Sinclair 1000, used a portable tape recorder to load programs, frogger was the latest and greatest computer game. it was hell getting the tape speed just right so that it would load
had an Atari game console for the TV. Battle ship was the game for that.

still have my 128, can not find a RGB monitor for it
Marty[/QUOTE]
If you used the Sinclair then you must be almost as old as me LOL.

I use to watch RED Skelton, Uncle Milton B. George Gobel, Burns and Alan, and Buffalo Bob and Howdy Doody, Live on TV, and can still remember them, BTW 70 last Feb.

Marty

I’m a little younger than you really old guys :wink:

To add to that my parents didn’t buy a TV for our house till I was 6 years old.
That would have been in 1959 . It was a console model Crosley & I’m not sure if it was new. However I lived close enough to my grandparents that I could stay with them on weekends. The bought a TV by the time I turned 4.
I remember Red Skelton well ,Burns and Alan, and Buffalo Bob and Howdy Doody & watched them live.
I remember Uncle Milton B. &George Gobel but I’m sure the shows I saw of theirs were reruns.

A little TV hijack . The old Crosley was similar to this one. Blond wood & the speaker grill cloth the same. I remember it being wider but it didn’t have a phonograph like some did so maybe I was just smaller.

That looks about right, we got ours in 1952, My Mother bought it for Grandma & Grandpa. course I lived with them till I was 14. But you forgot to show the ant. remote turner that would rotate the Ant. to the proper direction. GOD I loved the old days

L8ER
Marty

[QUOTE=thor21344;2733311]I use to watch RED Skelton, Uncle Milton B. George Gobel, Burns and Alan, and Buffalo Bob and Howdy Doody, Live on TV, and can still remember them, BTW 70 last Feb.

Marty[/QUOTE]
Got ya by 2 years old man.LOL:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2733339]Got ya by 2 years old man.LOL:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

:bow::bow: And I bow to wisdom and experience:bow::bow:

Marty

[QUOTE=thor21344;2733352]:bow::bow: And I bow to wisdom and experience:bow::bow:

Marty[/QUOTE]
You are funny Marty, I can hardly remember what I did yesterday, so the experience is down the drain. As for wisdom, I don’t need much anymore, my son thinks he knows everything. LOL.:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Sinclair ZX-81, then a ZX Spectrum, and an Atari STFM before getting my first IBM PC.

Things have moved on a bit since then. :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Mine was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Level I with 4k RAM. Paid $499.00 US. Remember I was the first one in Portland, Oregon to get it. Scrimped and saved to pay for it. Then I remember paying another $100 for upgrade to Level II.

[QUOTE=bigmike123;2733411]Mine was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Level I with 4k RAM. Paid $499.00 US. Remember I was the first one in Portland, Oregon to get it. Scrimped and saved to pay for it. Then I remember paying another $100 for upgrade to Level II.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it’s crazy when you look at the prices.

I paid £50 which is about $85 for the add on 16KB memory pack (yep that’s KB not MB or GB) and £50 was a lot back in 1981. :eek:

Original Sinclair ZX-81 advert.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Our first rig was a ZX Spectrum. Later on dad bought a 286 with 256 color vga and a 40mb harddrive. It was an amazing improvement.

My own first rig was a 386 computer i assembled myself. I was very scared at assembling it, but it saved me about a 4th of the cost.

I quickly found out i could do more with computers and electronic parts than most people could. Still to this day i love to tinker with parts and computers that people have thrown away or gave to me.

I’ve made a multimedia gaming device out of a ten year old Navman navigational system. (Windows 5 CE can do a lot if you tweak it a little).

Last week i made an VMWare ESX 5i server out of an old HP desktop computer. It isn’t fast, but it was totally free. :slight_smile: