What was the last album you listened to?

vbimport

[B]The Mothers of Invention[/B] - We’re Only in it for the Money :bow:

//youtu.be/6-9FX7bhESs

[QUOTE=vroom;2777968][B]The Mothers of Invention[/B] - We’re Only in it for the Money :bow:

//youtu.be/6-9FX7bhESs
[/QUOTE]

:wink: Once again FZ torments America with his wit!

I was listening to Freak Out last week. The first Zappa album I ever purchased, but by no means the last. When I saw the cover, I knew I had to own it.

Just gotta love any album where Frank Zappa is on the cover in a black velvet dress.

But back on topic the last album I listened to was Kansas - “Point of Know Return”

One of the first albums I bought, but over the years I’ve had several vinyl copies but I finally bought it on CD a couple of years ago.

I’ve been systematically converting my vinyl to “surplus” or “décor” for decades and I’m down to less than 100 albums.

My personal policy is to buy an old album (on CD) for every new album I buy,

^ Kansas, funny you should mention them. I was listening to Leftoverture from 1976 yesterday, but my first Kansas record was ‘Point of Know Return’ which my uncle bought me for Christmas back in 1977. The next year I spent much time in a Radio/TV repair shop helping out, originally to earn money for buying my first computer. Before long though, I had all Kansas albums in my collection along with most other classic 70’s hard rock records and so my first computer had to wait until 1979.

I pretty much stopped listening to Kansas around 1983 apart from picking up ‘In the Spirit of Things’ from a bargain bin in 1988/1989. I still think their catalog from 1974-1983 is great, but contrary to the way you have done it, I bought The Classic Albums Collection 1974-1983 back in 2011 to have the collection on the CD format as well (The only CD-box set of their classic recordings I am aware of, and it includes the 2xCD edition of ‘Two for the Show’ - I never really could stand crippled releases).

Speaking of that, currently playing:

[B]Kansas[/B] - [B]Two for the Show[/B] B[/B]

//youtu.be/n_1RozBNuQs

Great Live album by Kansas imo, even though Allmusic writes:

By the late '70s, Kansas had not only established themselves as one of America’s most adventurous progressive rock bands; they even had a number of Top 20 hits to their credit. And as they finally paused for a breath after a string of five increasingly successful studio albums, it made perfect sense to fill the gap with a live album.
Originally released as a double-vinyl set, Two for the Show is a sprawling, mind-boggling affair that juggles such overblown epics as “Journey from Mariabronn” and the self-explanatory “Magnum Opus” with mandatory hit singles “Carry on Wayward Son” and “Dust in the Wind.” The former will undoubtedly thrill fanatics with their extended improvisations, but the indistinct performances of the latter will prove largely useless to the casual fan. And with live albums in general going the way of the vinyl record these days, this particular fossil will only satisfy musical anthropologists.

Jeff Beck Group - [B]Rough and Ready[/B]

A 1971 release after the departure of Rod Stewart and Ron Wood. Still smokin’!

//youtu.be/031Quer1N2A

^ Jeff Beck Group, great pick :iagree:

A band I simply do not know much about apart from noting that the participants are Dave Mitchell, Felix Bria, Gary Pihl.
Who plays what? Gary Pihl plays guitar, that’s all I know - Great music from days gone by nevertheless :slight_smile:

Day Blindness - Day Blindness (1969)
Hard Rock Acid Rock Psychedelic, USA

//youtu.be/RPo1aCf999M

Tracklist:

1. Still Life Girl 6:23
  2. Jazz Song 2:20
  3. Middle Class Lament 3:39
  4. I Got No Money 4:31
  5. House and a Dog 2:01
  6. Live Deep 2:48
  7. Young Girl Blues 4:22
  8. Holy Land 12:22

Review by Stanton Swihart
A typical description of Day Blindness involves references to the theoretically similar but inherently antithetical West Coast bands the Doors and Iron Butterfly, and it does in fact play something like a cross between those two groups, though with none of the musical nuance and aesthetic vision – and none of the existential considerations – of the former and with all the unrelenting bombast and sonic pretension of the latter. What it does have in common with the Doors is its organ-heavy, acid-touched moodiness and its dense blues underpinning, though it is unable to do anything significantly innovative with either element. And like Iron Butterfly, Day Blindness draped their music in a sometimes smothering, cerebrum-numbing blanket of quasi-metal guitar. The band, indeed, took their hard rock very seriously, and that leads to a good number of earnestly overblown moments. It also causes the nearly 40 minutes of music to drag as a whole and to dull one’s appreciation for their more enticing aspects. And such aspects, though few, do indeed exist here. “I Got No Money” and “House and a Dog” aren’t songs so much as chances to jam on blues changes, but each has some commanding moments. And the 12-minute “Holy Land” is less atmospheric or disorienting than “The End” (seemingly its model), but it has some worth nonetheless, though in a vaguely ham-handed way. This band must have undoubtedly provoked some gut-thumping excitement for their live audience, blasting from ballrooms with an accompanying swirl of smoke and a kinetic surreality. The fact that it has been bootlegged attests to the fascination it still elicits. The album has not, unfortunately, worn particularly well (though considerably better than “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida”). Still, it provides an interesting glimpse into the heavier, more straight-ahead side of San Francisco acid rock.

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Peepshow

//youtu.be/blGPnobxTiM

The Concert for Bangladesh - George Harrison and friends

//youtu.be/ex8MoEBgpfY

Some great material, some less than stellar material, but, the concert was put on with the best intentions.

[B]Joe Satriani[/B] - Surfing With The Alien

//youtu.be/SlqLUawIkOc

Pretty good intro to his music.

[QUOTE=ka6;2779963][B]Joe Satriani[/B] - Surfing With The Alien

//youtu.be/SlqLUawIkOc

Pretty good intro to his music.[/QUOTE]
I was a Satriani fiend back in the 90s.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

That Joe Satriani album is one of my favorites along with one more, The Extremist :iagree:

This time however I thought I wanted to depart totally from the Rock expression and rather present what is playing now…

[B]Tracey Ullman[/B] - [B]You Broke My Heart In 17 Places[/B] ([B]1983[/B])

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_8zEP64kS98X9HxGYFnnqPnssR_74k_o

At the time of release, this one came along as interesting as nothing of the day was quite like it, drawing on the past was simply not too ordinary back in 1983 in Pop music. Today this is more normal and you only need to listen to Megan Traynor to get a solid dose of the fifties in addition to some modern elements… This is one of the few recordings that my wife brought to my attention again after years of oblivion, today I listen to it more often than her.
I remember the wording still… Since you buy each and every shit that has ever come out, howcome we ain’t got Tracey Ullman’s first - We do now, even its follow up :wink:

[QUOTE=ka6;2778919]Jeff Beck Group - [B]Rough and Ready[/B]

//youtu.be/031Quer1N2A
[/QUOTE
Jeff Beck Truth is a classic

[QUOTE=pigpenz;2780253][QUOTE=ka6;2778919]Jeff Beck Group - [B]Rough and Ready[/B]

//youtu.be/031Quer1N2A
[/QUOTE
Jeff Beck Truth is a classic[/QUOTE]

You brought back some memories… So, Every Picture tells a story (Don’t it)
Rod Stewart and Woody.
Small Faces>Faces. I’m getting old. :eek:

Pigpen was a member of the Dead. No Z. :wink: Died from too much cheap wine. My Aunt was his neighbor in Burlingame, CA. See told me stories.

[B]Rodrigo y Gabriela[/B] - 11:11

Inspired by vroom’s (cool doggy avatar btw :bigsmile:) in another thread.

A true giant in the field of electronic music, Isao Tomita turned classic music to synth music in an instance, a master at the game and one of the true original innovators in the field of synthesizer music.

[B]Isao Tomita[/B] - [B]The Planets[/B] ([B]1976[/B])

//youtu.be/1eLOpBujXM0

It opens with Mars as track 1 :wink:

^
I like it, thank you.

/np [B]Skyclad[/B] - Prince of the poverty line

//youtu.be/sYppL391uww

[B]Leon Russell[/B]-Leon Live

//youtu.be/VprKqszeGDc

A buddy and I rode our motorcycles three hours south and saw this show in Springfield, IL, with the Rev. Patrick Henderson and the full choir. Kicked-butt from start to finish! Leon barely paused to breath between songs before blazing into the next one. Joe Walsh and Barnstorm opened prior to Leon. Ahhhh, the ‘good ol’ days.’

[B]Fabulous Poodles[/B] - Think Pink

//youtu.be/qs6Y8RQ2-N4

Never saw this band live, but I certainly dig several songs on this release. Purchased the album (new) just because the cover was ‘cool.’ Worth every cent.

[B]Guns & Roses[/B] - Appetite fro destruction & Use your illusion I & II

[QUOTE=vroom;2781541][B]Guns & Roses[/B] - Appetite fro destruction & Use your illusion I & II[/QUOTE]

Hey cool one :slight_smile: I got hold of the original demos for Appetite for destruction (the only album I listen to by the group). Cool album, even the demo albeit a little more uneven, but of course on the demo he sings “Take me down to paradise city where the grass is [B]free[/B] and the girls are pretty” for whatever it’s worth…