What was the last album you listened to?

vbimport

Candlemass - Tales of creation

//youtu.be/oGHcrR7X1bE

[B]Steppenwolf[/B] - Monster

//youtu.be/bo1Bcnu-Zlo

A very ‘political’ release from 1969. This album generated a lot of turntable time for several years following.

OK I like Gary Moore, but mainly I prefer his early work which is more closer to the music that i daily listen, but now its time to listen to something a little more relaxing, so…
[B]Gary Moore[/B] - Ballads & Blues 1982–1994

//youtu.be/JsDUNusFS0o

[B]Johnny Winter[/B] - The Progressive Blues Experiment

//youtu.be/znMaAzTwmd8

Great, great first release from a master.

[B]Deep Purple[/B] - In rock

//youtu.be/h54-WWqlSt4

Some really cool music here :slight_smile:

Iron Maiden, as I said earlier won me over with their song Running Free as I was ‘just sixteen in a pickup truck, out of money out of luck’ (did not even have a drivers license as you have to be 18 in Norway before being allowed, got caught three months before I was 18 and so was not allowed to do the drivers test until I was 19)… So then the two first records naturally have a special place in my heart even though the vocal would become more mainstream and melodic when Bruce Dickinson took over the microphone from Paul Dianno.

Now, in Japan, there was a record released specially for the Japanese fanclub named ‘Maiden Japan’. Now there is an EP with the same name which saw commercial release leading to confusion about the existence of the full album, but sure enough, I tracked it down even in the pre-Internet days and am mighty proud to have the original in my vinyl collection (I’ve later bought both this and ‘The Soundhouse Tapes’ on CD as well of course).

Now this youtube video seem to be legit, not that I would know, but here it is:

//youtu.be/Ra-3GV3d4r4

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Back in 1978, I discovered Bruce Springsteen who had just released ‘Darkness on the Edge of Town’ and within a month, I had also purchased the three albums that came before it. I followed the artist closely the next decade before slowly loosing interest.
He was mighty cool to collect as well because he wrote many songs for each album, like for example ‘The River’ where he made around 60 songs and used only 20. Then I found underground shops like Smokin’ Soundz selling bootlegs.
So while I think Queen was the first to trigger my interest in music history, Springsteen triggered my interest in collecting music :stuck_out_tongue:

In my opinion, this is his best album:

[B]Bruce Springsteen[/B] - [B]Born to Run[/B] ([B]1975[/B])

//youtu.be/bgmA22xQuHw

The cover is considered a true classic, but it is the songs that really stands out. What is not said about the rock and roll life on Born to Run really is not worth mentioning, I have probably heard this record more than 1000 times since I first bought it in 1978 and I still listen to it several times a year, just like I did today.

Number two on my list of best albums will have to be ‘Nebraska’ which is stripped down and acoustic, without hope, depressive at times, it is also a unique bird in his catalog.

No introduction is needed for this one :bigsmile:

//youtu.be/HfUKgqEJMq0

I’ll listen to that later tonight, never was a fan of Bruce Springsteen, so lets see if this is going to change.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2775659]Back in 1978, I discovered Bruce Springsteen who had just released ‘Darkness on the Edge of Town’ and within a month, I had also purchased the three albums that came before it. I followed the artist closely the next decade before slowly loosing interest.
He was mighty cool to collect as well because he wrote many songs for each album, like for example ‘The River’ where he made around 60 songs and used only 20. Then I found underground shops like Smokin’ Soundz selling bootlegs.
So while I think Queen was the first to trigger my interest in music history, Springsteen triggered my interest in collecting music :stuck_out_tongue:

In my opinion, this is his best album:

[B]Bruce Springsteen[/B] - [B]Born to Run[/B] ([B]1975[/B])

//youtu.be/bgmA22xQuHw

The cover is considered a true classic, but it is the songs that really stands out. What is not said about the rock and roll life on Born to Run really is not worth mentioning, I have probably heard this record more than 1000 times since I first bought it in 1978 and I still listen to it several times a year, just like I did today.

Number two on my list of best albums will have to be ‘Nebraska’ which is stripped down and acoustic, without hope, depressive at times, it is also a unique bird in his catalog.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=vroom;2775664]I’ll listen to that later tonight, never was a fan of Bruce Springsteen, so lets see if this is going to change.[/QUOTE]

Queensryche is cool, First heard their ‘The Warning’ :iagree:

Born to Run is definitively Springsteen in its expression albeit early (‘Greetings from Asbury Park’ and 'The Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, his two first are different as John Hammond who also discovered Bob Dylan saw Springsteen as a possible alternate Dylan, go figure. The song ‘Blinded by the Light’ from his first later became a hit for Manfred Man’s Earth Band).

Nebraska, since it is very different from his other output have fans not necessarily interested in the artists other releases.

//youtu.be/5C7AdZ2AeFE

[QUOTE=Xercus;2775668]Queensryche is cool, First heard their ‘The Warning’ :iagree:

Nebraska, since it is very different from his other output have fans not necessarily interested in the artists other releases.

//youtu.be/5C7AdZ2AeFE
[/QUOTE]

:iagree: :bigsmile:

I quite enjoy Nebraska. A great album to listen to while drinking an adult beverage by yourself. One of my favorites by The Boss. I also agree that his later material began to slide in comparison to the releases you mention.

Nebraska is also my favorite Boss album, although his 2005 album has a nice tone and feel too:

//youtu.be/9xuv3ih6m1k

PS: If you watch it on YouTube you can click to individual songs.

[QUOTE=ka6;2776183]:iagree: :bigsmile:

I quite enjoy Nebraska. A great album to listen to while drinking an adult beverage by yourself. One of my favorites by The Boss. I also agree that his later material began to slide in comparison to the releases you mention.[/QUOTE]

It is somewhat natural you know. I see this in a lot of artists when I go through their catalog, as the years pass the hunger of the young artist slowly dies and is replaced by what many consider a better tune-smith.
IMO, sadly something else dies with it… While the artist may have become more interesting from a commercial viewpoint, I seek what is unique and in that respect the artist has died…for the most.

With that said, I do find ‘Devils & Dust’ having a nice tone and feel to it as olyteddy mentions, but there’s nothing new there we have not heard from even The Boss himself earlier :flower:

On the subject of the unique, let me take you to another ‘all time classic’.
Released in 1968, Astral Weeks sounded like nothing else in pop-music of the time. Both reflective and hypnotic in its expression, sounds like the work of a group of musicians who had collaborated for years, but fact is that Van Morrison hardly communicated with the musicians during the session and they barely knew who he was.

[B]Van Morrison[/B] - [B]Astral Weeks[/B] ([B]1968[/B])

//youtu.be/THucFPnYXhU

Astral Weeks was his second album and the first on a major label. While Morrison had made his name with rock songs like ‘Here Comes the Night,’ and ‘Gloria’ with the group ‘Them’ and singing ‘Brown Eyed Girl’ the year before, the world of music fans had no indication whatsoever of this revelation of a recording following.
All the more surprising and in my opinion one of the greatest records ever released, both in terms of innovation and originality.

Pure sonic beauty :bow:

The fact that on the cover of the tape says, produced by Dave Mustane of Megadeth is enough for me to like this, and when I pushed play it was something more than Just love :slight_smile:
[B]Sanctuary[/B] - Refuge denied

//youtu.be/D5pgbXwasDI

The next one was not produced but Dave Musatne but its was also an excellent release.
[B]Sanctuary[/B] - Into the mirror black

//youtu.be/Pj5z75lJW8I

[B]Uriah Heep[/B] - Salisbury
(link is for title track only…whole album is terrific, IMHO)

[QUOTE=ka6;2777435][B]Uriah Heep[/B] - Salisbury
(link is for title track only…whole album is terrific, IMHO)

Oooh yes, add to it the next three - Look at Yourself, Demons and Wizards and The Magicians Birthday and we only need a couple of beers for it to be an evening to remember :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course, it has to be emphasized I am a sucker for early seventies hard rock :wink:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2777465]Oooh yes, add to it the next three - Look at Yourself, Demons and Wizards and The Magicians Birthday and we only need a couple of beers for it to be an evening to remember :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course, it has to be emphasized I am a sucker for early seventies hard rock ;)[/QUOTE]

:smiley: :bigsmile:

[B]Xercus[/B] - To be honest, I would open up the program with their first release (Very 'Eavy …Very 'Umble) and continue with each subsequent release, concluding with Magicians Birthday. Have always loved these guys but sadly, I never caught them in concert. I still have the music!

I will admit that after Imaginations from the other side I kind lost track of what this Germans were doing, but for 0.50 euro it was worth the money, and I have to admit that I kind of like it, its more mature and much better orchestrated. It need a couple of some extra listens, and probably I want like it as much as their earlier releases but its still good.

[B]Blind Guardian[/B] - A night at the opera

//youtu.be/B84WS-WcQcM

[QUOTE=ka6;2777490]:smiley: :bigsmile:

[B]Xercus[/B] - To be honest, I would open up the program with their first release (Very 'Eavy …Very 'Umble) and continue with each subsequent release, concluding with Magicians Birthday. Have always loved these guys but sadly, I never caught them in concert. I still have the music![/QUOTE]

I saw them live in 1974 (Jordal Amfi, Oslo) and then again in 86-87 (Circus, Chateau Neuf, Oslo). Both were great concerts, but I enjoyed the latter more for two reasons, I was 9 in 1974 and the latter was more of a ‘best of’ concert and we were only about 200 people attending the concert.
I remember a funny incident from the latter: I was standing at the stage and after a while I got a plectrum from Mick Box, was subsequently enthusiastically attacked by a fan telling me how lucky I was. I looked at Mick Box who watched the incident, smiled and handed over the plectrum to the ‘fanatic’ who almost fainted, ran to the bar and bought me 4 beers.
Great concert as their new vocalist performed almost like David Byron after the first two songs :iagree:

[QUOTE=vroom;2777509]I will admit that after Imaginations from the other side I kind lost track of what this Germans were doing, but for 0.50 euro it was worth the money, and I have to admit that I kind of like it, its more mature and much better orchestrated. It need a couple of some extra listens, and probably I want like it as much as their earlier releases but its still good.

[B]Blind Guardian[/B] - A night at the opera[/QUOTE]

Not that I have followed the band closely, but this record is found in my collection and is my personal favorite from what I’ve heard from the band. A record rewarding those who invests a little time in it as it needs time to grow. The reason is of course progressive elements and as you say very good orchestration work throughout the recording :flower: