What was the last album you listened to?

vbimport

Future Blues, Canned Heat featuring Let’s Work Together.

Way before he, as I see it, went the ‘Lady in Red’ highway to oblivion whith ‘[B]Into the Light[/B]’ in '86, this guy actually made some good music. Nothing wrong with the song itself, but there is something wrong with an artist more or less getting stuck trying to recreate its success the rest of his career.
His second album ‘[B]Spanish Train and Other Stories[/B]’ from 1975 is remarkably strong with progressive elements, and I also think ‘[B]Crusader[/B]’ from 1979 is a fantastc release.
However when we have guests and I put on the follow up to Crusader, I always get (no exception) “What’s this” and when I give them the facts, they go like ‘huh?’ (in disbelief)

[B]Chris de Burgh[/B] - [B]Eastern Wind[/B] (1980)

//youtu.be/yc9-3KWXMa0

Apart from occasionally on songs like ‘Patricia the Stripper’ from ‘Spanish Train…’, ‘Tourist Attraction’ on this release and a few other songs (enough to probably fill one album) this guy never really rocks, but the albums mentioned really shines and showcases an artist on top.

[B]Metal Church[/B] - Hanging in the balance

//youtu.be/NZDhCiSAJwA

^Love it

Well, it had to happen - I got a challenge and so I thought I should lay it on this thread as it is music related… (funny that y’know, it usually is computer or music related) :slight_smile:
O.K. the challenge is to put together a Reggae album, all times with songs biased towards the more commercially interesting albums and so a ‘all times commercially best of’. She is a very goood friend and so the challenge was accepted in the blink of an eye :slight_smile:

So then, since I have yet to see any albums in this genre, why not present some of the classics in this thread (not that I have checked the entire thread… Actually never checked prior to 2015). I will not give you the tracklist, but only write some thoughts around the albums.

First of all, my sincere apology to fans of the genre (do come in and challenge my picks with real stuff as this is going to be more than a tad cross-over).

Now, to kick off the party, how about a sazzy album :wink:

[B]Peter Tosh[/B] - [B]Mama Africa[/B] (1983)

//youtu.be/mezhzXlQBqg

Shot dead in 1987 poor soul, a political “you just don’t fuck with me” on most records, was criticized by his own record company for being too political. Mama Africa was his reply, by far the most commercial in his catalog. It still is political though, but I have respect for an artist that makes such a statement, I can - I just can’t be arsed to go in that direction.
Personally, I think that the title cut should be replaced by the shorter single version and the cover version of ‘Johnny B. Good’ should be replaced by the extended version to benefit the album’s momentus, but that can be put together by purchasing one of the remasters.

O.K. the challenge is to put together a Reggae album, all times with songs biased towards the more commercially interesting albums and so a ‘all times commercially best of’.

//youtu.be/mezhzXlQBqg

:clap::clap:

I listen to this Peter Tosh release often.

A favorite of mine is Burning Spear…

//youtu.be/w27R8SpRJHM

Great album and a great DVD available. Love all the music on this!

^Love Burnin’ spear as well… :flower:

Well then, have been a tad slack reporting back all the albums I’ve gone through here, but how about at least a Bob Marley album.

[B]Bob Marley & The Wailers[/B] - [B]Uprising[/B] (1980)

//youtu.be/HQSE-RisMYw

One could pretty much be tempted to go for one of the numerous ‘best of’ when it comes to his output, but even when choosing a studio album with the commercial aspect in mind, it is really hard to choose. When I did choose this, it is mostly because of ‘Redemption Song’, one of the most beautiful messages, does not even need music, the lyrics can just as well be read as a poem.

excerpt…

Old pirates, yes, they rob I,
Sold I to the merchant ships,
Minutes after they took I
From the bottomless pit.

But my hand was made strong
By the hand of the Almighty.
We forward in this generation
Triumphantly.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,
None but ourselves can free our mind.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look?
Some say it's just a part of it,
We've got to fulfill the book.

Won't you help to sing,
These songs of freedom?
'Cause all I ever had,
Redemption songs.
All I ever had,
Redemption songs
These songs of freedom
Songs of freedom

Todays playlist all of then on vinyl, nothing from youtube :cool:

Bad Company - Bad Company do i need to say anything about this? NO.
Grip inc - Power of inner strength, the debut LP from Grip Inc, the name that most people know is Dave Lombardo, but the Guitarist is was also one more reason for mew to pick this back in 1994, his name is Waldemar Sorychta. Listen to hostage to heaven and bang you head over and over.
Marilion - Holidays in eden. thats is something that i dont know how i got it but over the years i liked it.
Cannibal Corpse - The bleeding, the second LP from 1994 the sticker in the cover says everything, either you like it or you get offended.
Finishing todays playlist it was time to listen to something more relaxing, so what better way to finish this Sunday evening with some compilations of classics, so here goes Hooked on classics.

^ Impressive playlist, covering a lot of ground - I love the early Bad Company releases, maybe the debut you have above most of all :iagree:

Like I said, more then a tad slack, the CD is finished with too many artists to mention, but among them
Desmond Dekker & The Aces - Israelites

//youtu.be/mxtfdH3-TQ4

And I’ve listened my raggae ass off to about 20 (educated guess selection) albums as well as reading hit-lists and umpteen whatever high number of single tracks.

One more artist at least has to be presented when it comes to the commercial aspect of it, maybe the most commercial of all.

[B]Jimmy Cliff[/B] - [B]The Harder They Come[/B] (1972)

Youtube playlist

You can ask why I chose a soundtrack, but I think it is a good soundtrack… Anyone not heard the 60’s output from this guy have lost out on a lot of good music, you could of course also include “Wonderful World Beautiful People” from 1970 in that list as well.

//youtu.be/ufPusB9_DD0

Probably the single most commercial of the ones presented and very hard to pass in a project like this. :flower:

Wohaaa! After overloading myself with commercial Reggae, I simply needed some debriefing before being able to restore normal operation :wink:

[B]Tom Waits[/B] - [B]Heartattack and Vine[/B] (1980)

No complete youtube playlist when you need it typically, but here it is :slight_smile:
(personally though, I do not listen to a youtube source unless I have to, not so with this album which is in my collection)
1 - [B]Heartattack and Wine[/B]
2 - [B]In Shades[/B]
3 - [B]Saving All My Love For You[/B]
4 - [B]Downtown[/B]
5 - [B]Jersey Girl[/B]
6 - [B]'Til The Money Runs Out[/B]
7 - [B]On The Nickel[/B]
8 - [B]Mr. Siegal[/B]
9 - [B]Ruby’s Arms[/B]

Love this album. ‘Heartattack & Vine’ generally plays a harder blues style compared to earlier albums like ‘Closing Time’ and ‘Blue Valentine’, but no matter what style of music Tom Waits’ experiments with, his strongest card is always his lyrics.
There are still two killer tracks that breaks the hard blues style of the rest of the album, ‘Jersey Girl’ an acoustic honest no frills love song saved from ending up in treacly alley by a magnificent delivery and of course, ‘On the Nickel’ with its devastating, but beautiful lyrics.
The raw, direct title cut opening the album is an absolute stunner imo - “Don’t you know there ain’t no devil? There’s just God when he’s drunk” … 'nuff said :bigsmile:

Rammstein - Live aus Berlin

Tonights tune will be [B]Iron Maiden’s[/B] - 7th son of a 7th son :cool:

Burning a lot of DVDs = a lot of extra time to listen to some music.
[B]Boston[/B] - Boston
[B]Boston[/B] - Dont look back
[B]Boston[/B] - Third stage

//youtu.be/UZG3jbFDCUY

//youtu.be/SZI7aFNpr5k

^ :iagree: Now that is three classics right there, especially the two first which both must be considered unique at the time of release. :iagree:

I’ll return to the thread in just a little while, but have been playing recent local bands for a while, mostly in the category ‘nothing to write home about’ :wink:

Rosie Vela’s one and only album. The critics of the day seemed more concerned by her being a cover model turned singer-songwriter and so largely wrote off the album, luckily later reviews have been more fair to the release.

[B]Rosie Vela[/B] - [B]Zazu[/B] ([B]1986[/B])

//youtu.be/L4Wk0qfzp38

Zazu reunited Steely Dan band members Walter Becker (on guitar) and Donald Fagen (on keys) to work together for the first time in six years and indeed, to further that link, the album was produced by Gary Katz.
This influence can be heard throughout the album and any fan of Steely Dan or Becker/Fagen will guaranteed nod in recognition. The lyrics are mystrious for the most which fits the music very well.

One information not too known is that Rosie Vela did complete a [B]second album[/B] In 1990.
The album titled “Sun Across the Altar” consists of 10 songs, but sadly, it was never released, due to A&M being bought by Polydor who did not believe in Rosie Vela’s potential commercially. They tried to convince her to rework the album with a Heavy Metal producer, but Vela refused and left Polydor.

I wonder if we ever get to hear it…

News travels fast… Prince died today, just heard half an hour ago… 2016 looks set to become a devastating year in music history :sad:

One of the better hard rock releases ever, what vroom presented earlier: Bad Company’s Bad Co debut. I just listened to it… It simply bites to the core of it, a classic.

[B]James Cotton[/B] - High Compression

//youtu.be/d9zwDlQHfBo

Have seen James several times and he knocks me out with every performance.
Even when his voice was shot and he was unable to sing but simply blow harp, he rocked big time.

[QUOTE=ka6;2773020][B]James Cotton[/B] - High Compression
Have seen James several times and he knocks me out with every performance.
Even when his voice was shot and he was unable to sing but simply blow harp, he rocked big time.[/QUOTE]

Cool! :iagree:

Now then, I finally found my long lost misheard lyrics from the '70s and so that has gotten 6 spins (3 listens) on my vinyl-player after ordering a used copy.

[B]The Dubliners[/B] ‎– [B]Plain And Simple[/B] ([B]1973[/B])

//youtu.be/I6Hx7jUzGR4

A very special thank you :flower: to Wombler for figuring out the answer without even knowing the song I was refering to.
The name was unknown even to me at the time, but it is the last song on this record, named ‘[B]Rebellion[/B]’.
I thought I heard ‘for eran’s sake’ and believed it to mean ‘for the sake of honor’ (Norwegian ære=honor and since we do find lots of old viking words in the English/Irish language (Knife, York…) it was not too far fetched).
As Wombler answers, the correct is ‘for Éireann’s sake’ (Éireann=Gaelic for Ireland, meaning ‘western isle’)

One of the few ‘The Dubliners’ records that never made it to the CD format :smiley:

[B]Stop the press![/B]

I never thought I would do this, but I have to. I have my own ‘bargain bin’ with music I buy from sellers just out of curiosity. Let me explain that, I find an item I want to buy, and then I check out the other items that is offered. If I find some cheap items I have no idea what is or to check out an artist 10 years up the road, whatever, I add them to the order and so I always have 50+ CDs there.
Yesterday I picked up a CD from a female artist from the bin. For me, she is a '80s pop star and I thought let’s go for some pop. Was I ever surprised… Contemporary Jazz, and a fine release, no less :iagree:

[B]Shena Easton[/B] - [B]No Strings[/B] ([B]1993[/B])

Never really enjoyed the artist, but at less than one Euro, I wanted to just hear where she was in the musical landscape and was shocked, mostly because it was so unexpected. For the first few songs I thought, the lady can sing, no doubt about that, but by the time the last song ‘Never Will I Marry’ was playing I was stunned. Consequently, I hit play one more time and played the album a second time. Today I am going to hear it once more after I have finished the two albums ahead of it.

Where’s that bleeping complete playlist or full album when you need it. :stuck_out_tongue:
01 [B]Someone To Watch Over Me[/B] 3:18
02 [B]I’m In The Mood For Love / Moody’s Mood “For Love”[/B] 4:14
03 [B]The Nearness Of You[/B] 3:17
04 [B]How Deep Is The Ocean[/B] 3:40
05 [B]If You Go Away (Ne Me Quitte Pas)[/B] 5:52
06 [B]Body And Soul[/B] 5:51
07 [B]Little Girl Blue / When Sunny Gets Blue[/B] 6:10
08 [B]The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else[/B] 3:25
09 [B]The Man That Got Away[/B] 4:23
10 [B]I Will Say Goodbye[/B] 2:37
11 [B]Never Will I Marry[/B] 3:25

[QUOTE=Xercus;2773448]A very special thank you :flower: to Wombler for figuring out the answer without even knowing the song I was refering to.
The name was unknown even to me at the time, but it is the last song on this record, named ‘[B]Rebellion[/B]’.
I thought I heard ‘for eran’s sake’ and believed it to mean ‘for the sake of honor’ (Norwegian ære=honor and since we do find lots of old viking words in the English/Irish language (Knife, York…) it was not too far fetched).
As Wombler answers, the correct is ‘for Éireann’s sake’ (Éireann=Gaelic for Ireland, meaning ‘western isle’)

One of the few ‘The Dubliners’ records that never made it to the CD format :D[/QUOTE]

No problem Xercus and glad to hear you got sorted! :cool:

I was away for a few days so this is a bit of a delayed response. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]