What was the last album you listened to?

vbimport

As expected with all this bureaucracy i wasn’t able to to anything today, so live to fight another day.
At least I had some relaxing music on my phone to listen to on the way home.

[B]Pro-Pain[/B] - Full taste of freedom

//youtu.be/7Mejq9-v-sc

^Didn’t you know the world has closed for Easter already :confused: :bigsmile:

I have just a few maintenance tasks left and I am finished this side of Easter unless something unexpected shows up, I think I am in for an early beer today… How about now :iagree:

Easter for Christians Orthodox is 1 of May (no idea about the rest of the world), so everything should work but since i live in .gr i know that i have to do everything the hard way.

Enjoy your beer Xercus.

Continuing with relaxing music, time to sing refuse resist :slight_smile:
[B]Sepultura[/B] - Chaos A.D.

//youtu.be/0sML3fbgiA0

[QUOTE=vroom;2770562]Easter for Christians Orthodox is 1 of May (no idea about the rest of the world), so everything should work but since i live in .gr i know that i have to do everything the hard way.

Enjoy your beer Xercus.

Continuing with relaxing music, time to sing refuse resist :slight_smile:
[B]Sepultura[/B] - Chaos A.D.[/QUOTE]

Simply can’t beat you when it comes to selecting really relaxing music for us to listen to :bigsmile:

Some more relaxing music especially for you :iagree:

Suicidal - [B]Friends & Family {Epic Escape}[/B] (1997)

//youtu.be/focs4pjFElA

Then again, I can’t leave the rest of you without a relaxing alternative to Suicidal Tendencies of course :wink:

[B]Heather Nova[/B] – [B]Oyster[/B] (1994)

These are the two most common front covers, and here is the [B]YouTube playlist[/B]

In many ways, Heather Nova comes forth as more talented than many of her female singer/songwriter contemporaries. Having both an appealing voice, strong lyrics, and memorable melodies one could be misled to believe it would last. Unfortunately, most of her output in terms of albums are uneven, with Nova delivering the goods as often as she misses the mark.
The best moments on this, her third album are among her very best work, demonstrating that she can pull off anything from ballads, guitar pop, to rock with equal certainity. Oyster is still worth exploring, it’s just a little frustrating that the entire album doesn’t deliver to the full potential of its best moments.

Never heard about this band before but I like the song that you posted and I will probably order the “Explorer Suite” album very soon.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2770488]…
Produced by Mike Stone (Journey, Queen, Asia) and originally issued in 1980, ‘Explorer Suite’ undoubtedly takes its starting point from the Beatles, but thoughtfully fuel-injects a heavy, melodic rock element comparable to the greatest pomp rock acts of the era.
Reference points include Styx, Electric Light Orchestra, The Cars, Cheap Trick and, as previously mentioned, the Beatles. Crammed full of incredibly energetic songs such as ‘Livin In The Eighties’, ‘Honey Money’, ‘Searchin’ and ‘Hey You’re On The Run’, New England’s penchant for melody was obviously second to none.
Truly one of the most talented groups of their time."

[B]New England[/B] - [B]Explorer Suite[/B] (1980)

//youtu.be/x1bDq3ucoP8
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=pepst;2770597]Never heard about this band before but I like the song that you posted and I will probably order the “Explorer Suite” album very soon.[/QUOTE]

I think you should do a search on YouTube to avoid buying an album based on just one song :flower:

^ It should be emphasized of course that I so far have all the albums presented here in my collection and do find New England’s second album a killer of its time when compared to similar artists. What I can not guarantee of course is how it compares to todays music and how well it has aged.
That is more or less how I find the best within a decade, by comparing to the similar bands of the era and in that comparison, New England came out very good. :flower:

The two first records were more of a rock effort, but ‘Head Games’ from 1979 began to change that for a more harder sound, a path continued on this album.
Ian McDonald and Al Greenwood played saxophone and keyboards respectively, but quit the band before the recording of ‘4’ started. They were replaced by among others, Junior Walker who played the saxophone on “Urgent”, and Thomas Dolby, who would later launch a successful solo career.

[B]Foreigner[/B] - [B]4[/B] (1981)

YouTube playlist

A very popular record back in '81/'82 and in retro perspective, one of the better releases.

^I like it, i like it very very much.

Now time for one of my all time favorite classic thrash metal albums

[B]Death Angel[/B] - Act III

//youtu.be/355zC1J_NQI

Well, I got my quadruple LP and my double CD today, and I have in reality one question, how can a CD playback sound better than a 44.100 download???
The vinyl sounds great, the CD almost to it, still!!!

What I am talking about??? Dream Theater - The Astonoshing…

[QUOTE=Xercus;2770655]how can a CD playback sound better than a 44.100 download???
[/QUOTE]

Probably got a bad encode downloaded… However the 24-Bit download was crystal clear and so hardly any loss.

Now however…

Jimi Hendrix was a major influence on the hard rock power trio ‘Mahogany Rush’, You only need to listen to Frank Marino’s guitar playing to recognize that, still they do not sound like Hendrix - far from it.
The best studio album that Mahogany Rush recorded in the '70s is imo the following, a hard rock classic that is equally forceful/melodic:

[B]Mahogany Rush[/B] - [B]Strange Universe[/B] (1975)

And here is the YouTube playlist

What I find interesting is that no matter how aggressive the group rocks on gems like “Dancing Anyway”, “Tryin’ Anyway” and “Dear Music”, the recording never fails to be musical.
Throughout the recording there are overtones of progressive rock, jazz-rock as well as psychedelic rock and the lyrics aren’t the typical love or boy-girl fare overly tried throughout music history, but rather explores psychedelia with gothic fantasy themes like on “Land of 1000 Nights”.

All killer, no filler compared to other bands of their time - Mahogany Rush were among the finest hard rock bands of the '70s.

Currently listening to this.
Not a fan o Malmsteen but his early work is very good. Also no youtube links for this, find what you like, if you like anything and listen to it.

^Me neither, but like you, I do enjoy the early Malmsteen records.

It gets to be a tad more work presenting groups that not quite reached superstardom as no readymade playlist is available on YouTube. However, I managed to piece together the entire album this time as well :slight_smile:

I don’t enjoy the group overall as they went down the ‘hairmetal’ path, but their second album needs special mention.

[B]Pretty Maids[/B] – [B]Red, Hot And Heavy[/B] (1984)

Playlist:
01 - [B]Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi (Carmina Burana)[/B] - 0:22
02 - [B]Back To Back[/B] - 3:34
03 - [B]Red, Hot And Heavy[/B] - 3:57
04 - [B]Waitin’ For The Time[/B] - 4:44
05 - [B]Cold Killer[/B] - 4:41
06 - [B]Battle Of Pride[/B] - 3:14
07 - [B]Night Danger[/B] - 3:51
08 - [B]A Place In The Night[/B] - 3:56
09 - [B]Queen Of Dreams[/B] - 4:44
10 - [B]Little Darling[/B] - 3:01

Hard not to notice the fundamental Iron Maiden influence, still I think Pretty Maids pulled off a well balanced album with strong songs throughout and as I see it, the best in their catalog.

Now back to the early to mid '80s and Jon Anderson, lead singer and one of the founding members of progressive rock group Yes teaming up with Vangelis, regarded as one of the world’s most talented composers as a duo.
This all happened in 1979, but Jon had guested as vocalist/performer on some Vangelis albums prior to this. In the next few years they released three albums, with “Short Stories” peaking at number 4 in the UK and “The Friends of Mr. Cairo” peaking at number 6.

Now however, I choose to present a ‘best of’ as I feel it captures the era in a good way:

[B]Jon And Vangelis[/B] – [B]The Best Of Jon And Vangelis[/B] (1984)

There are no complete YouTube links to this album, so I leave you with the three albums leading up to it :slight_smile:
[B]Short Stories[/B] (1979)
[B]Friends of mr. Cairo[/B] (1981)
[B]Private Collection[/B] (1983)

What a nice record to end today’s jurney.
Personally, this is my favorite in their catalog, but I guess more people have ‘Breakfast in America’ as their favorite.

I Forgot to cancel ‘this months chosen LP’ from “Scandinavian Music Club” back in 1977 and glad I did. It still seem kind of timeless even today.
It is also a record hard to destroy in the loudness war, acoustic in its expression, it holds its own dynamic (I still prefer the old though).

[B]Supertramp[/B] - [B]Even in the Quietest Moments[/B] (1977)

YouTube playlist

The titletrack stands out along with Fool’s Overture, but the album as a whole delivers even now, 39 years later.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2770830] The titletrack stands out along with Fool’s Overture, but the album as a whole delivers even now, 39 years later.[/QUOTE] Yes, you are correct, sir!

I also have 2 of the 3 Jon & Vangelis albums you just mentioned…

You’re in my mind hearing my music! :eek: :bow: :stuck_out_tongue:

^I do tend to be in many peoples mind when it comes to music, listening to music from 1910-present, jumping genres like none other from Country/Folk to EBM to Blues to Jazz as well as (Hard) Rock/Metal before moving on to some 1920s Charleston or other music of its time.

The period 1972-1985 is of course where I find most of my ‘memory lane’ rooted, I just failed to stop sometime in my early 30s like most of my friends, that’s all :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:

Meatloaf, born Marvin Lee Aday will for many be synonymous to ‘Bat Out of Hell’, either just the 1977 original, maybe including the 1993 ‘Bat Out of Hell II’ or the entire trilogy. For me though, I like to include ‘Welcome to the Neighborhood’ from 1995 which is far better than its reputation and of course this:

[B]Meat Loaf[/B] – [B]Dead Ringer[/B] (1981)

YouTube playlist

Jim Steinman was the architect behind both ‘Bat Out of Hell’ and ‘Dead Ringer’. While the latter may lack some of its predecessor’s rock opera feel as Meatloaf had just recovered from loosing his voice at the time, this is the album I usually put on when I want to have a trip down memory lane and do think it is the second best in his catalog.

They were left with an impossible task creating a follow up to ‘Bat Out of Hell’ which already had become a classic by 1981 and of course, as was only too expected, the critics of the day did not leave the release even half a chance of succeeding.
That does not mean that the release is bad, only that most anything will fail if you compare it to especially the innovation and leap forward for rock music as a whole ‘Bat Out of Hell’ was and indeed, even today you will find recordings where the influence from that recording is notable.

Personally though, I think it is time to view ‘Dead Ringer’ on its own and compared to the time it was released, this is up there among the best releases of the day.

Currently listening to this, on CD but thats life you cant have everything on taoe or vinyl.

The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society. One of the best albums of the 1960s and yet criminally underappreciated. Consistently good from start to finish and without any fillers.