What video card will fit?

vbimport

Hey, I’m looking into buying a new video card as my old one bit the dust a few months ago but I’m not sure what to get. My motherboard is a PEGATRON CORPORATION Benicia and I dunno what kind of connection it is, cant find any info on it. I want to buy an ATI card and was looking at the Radeon HD 5870 but I wanna make sure it’ll fit into my computer. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi and Welcome!

at first, you need to find out, what expansion slot is available on your motherboard (AGP or PCI Express).
Also you need to know some data about yout power supply, since VGA cards of this class (Radeon 5870) have high power demands.

Another thing to consider is the rest of your hardware. Such a powerful VGA card is a waste of money if the rest of the system is rather old and not that powerful.

Edit: Google whispers this motherboard was used in HP computers - they should have technical documentation on their website.

Michael

Here’s my system information:

Operating System
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Pentium E2200 @ 2.20GHz
Conroe 65nm Technology

RAM
3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (6-6-6-18)

Motherboard
PEGATRON CORPORATION Benicia (CPU 1)

Graphics
SyncMaster @ 1680x1050
Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

Hard Drives
488GB Hitachi Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 (SCSI)

Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Is that too out of date? I’m gonna upgrade the RAM as well. I’ll take a look at the HP website.

Hi,[QUOTE=Skeletor6669;2547616]Here’s my system information:
(…)
Intel Pentium E2200 @ 2.20GHz
3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (6-6-6-18)
Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Is that too out of date?[/quote]Should be new enough. Unless not crippled, there should be a PCI Express x16 slot - this is what you need to verify.
Apart from a missing PCI Express slot, the other show stopper could be the PSU. You need to open the case to see the information on the sticker.
Assuming that VGA card fits, then the CPU might be a bottleneck preventing you to get the VGA card’s full performance.

I’m gonna upgrade the RAM as well.
What for? Your 32bit Windows can’t handle more than the 3GB that are already installed. “Faster” modules won’t give you any benefit in real-world application.

I’ll take a look at the HP website.
They usually have very good documentation - also look for service manuals.

Michael

So I got my computer open now, I have confirmed that it is a PCI Express x16 slot. Here’s the info on the sticker:
Model: ATX-250-12Z REV.: D7R
INPUT:100-127V~6A , 200-240V~3A 50/60Hz
BST ATX-250-12Z D7R

OUTPUT +12V / 14A, -12V / 0.8A
250W MAX. +5 / 25A, +5VSB / 2A
+3.3V / 18A,
+5V & +3.3V 165W MAX. +5V & +12V 218W MAX.

I’m not sure exactly what that means, one part says 250 W max, another 165W max and another part 218W max. The optimist in me wants to go with the 250W max but I should find out before heading out and buying a Radeon HD 5770 (its more affordable and will do well enough for my needs)

Also just for clarification, the system is pretty much vanilla, I havent added or removed anything other than a wireless card but that doesnt take much power.

Hi,[QUOTE=Skeletor6669;2547764]So I got my computer open now, I have confirmed that it is a PCI Express x16 slot. Here’s the info on the sticker:
Model: ATX-250-12Z REV.: D7R[/quote]I nearly expected this. That PSU is good enough to feed the components from factory, but not more.

OUTPUT +12V / 14A,
A Radeon 5870 has a card design power of 188 W (source: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/ati_radeon_5870_fastest_videocard_ever_ps_its_380). That means you need a quality PSU that has at least 28-30 A @12V. The values for the other voltages should not be less than what you have.

Oh, and avoid those 1000W!!! 30USD PSUs. Get quality from Enermax, Fortron etc. The 500W class should be okay normally. But look at the detailled amperage before you buy.

Perhaps some less demanding VGA card is the better option for your system, but still then you need a more powerful PSU.

Michael

Ok, well that kinda sucks :(, but from taking a look at the PSU it should be a pretty easy operation, I’m sure I’ll be able to find something online that’ll give detailed instructions. Now to search for a PSU that’ll do… Oh and I’m going to be buying the Radeon HD 5770, couldn’t find a 5870 for a decent price and it isn’t that much of a difference in performance for my needs anyways. I couldn’t find the 5770 on that site you linked to, what is the power drain for that?

[QUOTE=Skeletor6669;2547924]Ok, well that kinda sucks :(, (…) I couldn’t find the 5770 on that site you linked to, what is the power drain for that?[/QUOTE]I can do only the same as you: http://www.google.com/search?q=radeon+5770+power+consumption
One result: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,697202/Ati-Radeon-HD-5770-reviewed-DirectX-11-Mid-Range/Reviews/ (102 W peak).

Michael

Be careful about replacing your proprietary PSU with a aftermarket PSU. Make sure it will fit and the pin connections will work.

:cool::cool:

Do they really use custom PSUs with non-standard form factor and connectors? :eek:

Michael