What useful life expectancy optical media?

I don’t know that Mdisc is lying about their media. It does seem to be different from ordinary DVD’s. But extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If there is independent confirmation of their claims, I don’t remember seeing it, but it may exist. You’ll have to do your own research.

Glue issues, or de-lamination, is only one of the problems that can beset optical media. Deterioration of the reflective layer is probably more common. Poor spread of the dye layer also occurs, and this one can lead to poor burns near the outer edge of the disc.

@codyff: why do we keep re-hashing the same unanswerable questions again and again?

1. MDisc has reflective layer and dye? Is glue the last problem? Is optical media glue resistant to moisture and heat?

2. I do not have humidity and temperature controlled storage. My conditions have been those mentioned before, what are the tips for fixing DVD and MDisc DVD in my conditions without precise humidity and temperature control? Where to save as save?

ImgBurn’s “Verify” test is a good test to know if the disk was burned correctly and that it will live long?

1. It only means it can be read completely at this time with this drive. It´s a good sign if the verify was made at highest read speed without slowdown.

But it doesn´t mean it will last long

ImgBurn’s Verify function compares the original or ISO file with the content recorded on the DVD and in my case the result was no error found, is this the first step to good burning? after pass in the test of ImgBurn burns the durability this by the quality of the media?

1. MDisc has reflective layer and dye? Is glue the last problem? Is optical media glue resistant to moisture and heat?

2. I do not have humidity and temperature controlled storage. My conditions have been those mentioned before, what are the tips for fixing DVD and MDisc DVD in my conditions without precise humidity and temperature control? Where to save as save?

Yep, if no error find it´s a good sign. But I had media which burn perfectly and after some years it was unreadable, like RITEKBR2 and RITEKBR3

Can´t say anything about MDisc because I never used it.

IIRC CD/DVD (and BD-R LTH?) don´t like sunbeams but isn´t so sensitive about temperature, BD-R HTL don´t like big temperature fluctuation but isn´t that sensitive for sunbeams.

A low humidity should be good for both

Does anyone here have accurate information about MDisc? glue, dye etc.

I have no control over the humidity and temperature in the place where I store the discs, what tips to minimize the effect of temperature and humidity that can shorten the useful life of the discs? Where and how to save?

While it’s hard to say for sure, I would expect to get at least 20+ years out of your typical Verbatim (or Taiyo Yuden) media as I have some that’s 10+ years old and I don’t expect it to fail anytime soon. I may have some around 2000-ish but I have not check those in years now even though I got a fair amount around the 10+ years range, and maybe around 15 years.

but those claims of 100+ years you see online here and there over the years, I would not take that stuff too seriously. hell, even if by some chance it does make 100+ years, no one is going to care and not only that, even if someone did care, will DVD drives that can read those discs will still be around? ; because I think finding DVD drives that can read DVD media won’t be hard to find for at least another 10+ years, who knows what it will be like in 20-30+ years from now.

still, I prefer using DVD (Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden) for backing up family photos/videos as I consider them a pretty reliable backup to my copies on hard drives. like short of a house fire (and the like), chances are losing my data is slim. but being hard drives are much cheaper than using DVD media for a while now, most of my general data I just use hard drives with at least two copies (one hard drive, and another) which gives me reasonable protection against data loss but any high priority stuff I also backup on DVD media.

DVD drives will no longer be manufactured?

I have mdisc dvd verbatim

The question cannot be answered seriously because just the media itself already differs very much in terms of Quality!!

Adding to that variable you must differ between CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, HD DVD-R/W/RAM, BD-R SL/DL/TL/QL,BD-RE SL/DL/TL and M-Disc discs… Also there are 8cm discformats.,

How to correctly store optical media DVD MDisc so as not to suffer much with temperature and high humidity?

As for Verbatim they claim:

Verbatim M DISC™ optical media is the new standard for digital archival storage. Unlike traditional optical media, which utilize dyes that can break down over time, data stored on an M DISC is engraved on a patented inorganic write layer – it will not fade or deteriorate. This unique engraving process renders these archival grade discs practically impervious to environmental exposure, including light, temperature and humidity.

ISO/IEC 16963 standard longevity tests have proven the durability of M DISC technology, and it withstood rigorous testing by the US Department of Defense. Based on ISO/IEC 16963 testing, M DISC media has a projected lifetime of several hundred years.

https://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en/cat/mdisc-archival-media/

From the link above “AZO dye layer, average lifetime 100 years” is good enough for me.

1. Does the expected durability of the data be intact in mdisc dvd is counted from the manufacture of the disk or is counted from the burning of the disk? if the disc was manufactured in 2010 and burned in 2011 the expectation of the disc begins from 2010 or 2011?
  2. What person or contact is most appropriate to clarify doubts about mdisc and useful life?
  3. MDisc does not use AZO, AZO is organic and mdisc uses inorganic dye
  4. Keeping cds and dvds in black dvd cases has any benefit to longevity?

to 4), its more important IMHO where they are kept, in case of humidity and temps.

1. Does the expected durability of the data be intact in mdisc dvd is counted from the manufacture of the disk or is counted from the burning of the disk? if the disc was manufactured in 2010 and burned in 2011 the expectation of the disc begins from 2010 or 2011?
  2. What person or contact is most appropriate to clarify doubts about mdisc and useful life?
  3. MDisc does not use AZO, AZO is organic and mdisc uses inorganic dye

friends I know that in my storage conditions I can not always keep stable temperature and humidity and currently I store the dvd / mdisc dvd inside black case of dvd and these cases I store inside enclosed cardboard box, you have any more storage tips for me to improve and lower the temperature and humidity in the disks, vacuum or other solution?

Decent quality optical media don’t need laboratory controlled conditions to be stored in. They will store well in most environments and last without problem at least 10 years - just avoid exposing them on direct sun/UV light.

You are focused on finding the ultimate media that you will record once and forget about it for the next 50-100 years, from a manufacturer that will guarantee you that you will be able to retrieve your data after xxx years when you need it. Unfortunately no such media exist. Focus on what optical media is brilliant at: you can predict when it will fail before it fails. In other words learn how to scan media and interpret the results and determine when it is time to migrate your data.

MDISC DVD Verbatim is decent quality media or not? I think it is made in Taiwan by Ritek

DVD box case black protects from any light?