What Type Of Media Is This?

I received a 100-pack spindle of 16x 4.7gb DVD-R Office Depot brand for a Christmas gift.

The # written on the inside of the top disc is: DR5F6O-00515

Does anyone know what brand these really are? I’d like to find out before opening the spindle up.

Acording to VideoHelp.com it could be RITEKF1 media.

Search VideoHelp for 16x DVD-R Office Depot.

EDIT: The hub code is also close to my RITEKF1 media (DR5F6O-00476) whch is Fujifilm Labelflash media.

Is RITEKF1 media any good? i.e. worth keeping? For the last year I only bought Taiyo Yuden DVD-R off Shop4Tech so I’m unaware of these Ritek discs.

My RitekF1 discs are actually very good - their stability is quite good too. Personally, I would keep the discs if they were RitekF1 because of my good experience with them. Their burner compatibility isn’t that good, though.

What burner are you using, and what firmware does it have?

[B]TDK DVDRW0404N 1.0C[/B] (ATA)

RitekF1 is nowhere near as good as TY unfortunately.

I had a feeling that would be true. Once I burn things to the new DVD-R, I carefully archive them in big dvd binders and I just want to make sure in a few years the discs will still be readable. I know TY guarantees a minimum of 60 years if stored properly.

Ritek F1 media is based on the Fujifilm developed Oxonol dye which seems to be quite stable in testing (the F is the indicator of discs using this type of dye from what I can see). Of course, the rest of the manufacturing process would have to be within quality specifications to ensure the disc did not prematurely degrade (which is something Ritek is not very famous for :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Seems like a bit of a gamble then… almost as if only time will tell?

Hopefully [B]Kevatcrewe[/B] can let me know if my burner is compatible w/ this type of media.

That’s a very old burner and surely it won’t support RITEKF1 properly. You already have the latest firmware, but it dates back to June 2004.

Yes it is a very old burner. It’s actually REALLY good though. I’ve never had any problems with it. I bought it right after 4x DVD-R burners became available.

You think new DVD-R media won’t burn properly with it? What could be so different with the RITEKF1 discs?

Possible lack of firmware support. Hehe, in fact more than likely lack of firmware support :wink:

Oh, that’s right huh? Usually the new firmware updates contain info to allow new media types to be used… darn.

I hope someone can confirm they’ll work.

If I were you, I would get a new burner. They’re pretty cheap nowadays. A new Lite-On, Pioneer, LG, Plextor or even a Benq 1650 or 1655 (if you can find one) are fairly safe bets.

What I meant was, 16x media won’t necessarily be supported in the firmware (I personally have never known a 4x burner to have any support for 16x media…).

Out of curiosity, have you tried any other 16x media with that drive?

They may work, but at a default strategy (typically 2.4 or 4x) - if you’re lucky.

I’d follow Kev’s advice…

Ooooh. My burner can only burn at 4x max (but you knew that). I’ve purchased 12x & 16x TY before that have burnt just fine at 4x.

I have also bought 16X-r for my 16X sony burner and didnt know it at the time but the firmware only supported +R. Got message of no disk inserted or media not recordable. Took me a while to figure that out. Thats why im here.
Lotsa smart people. :slight_smile:

that doesn’t mean that other kinds of media rated at high speeds will also burn just fine at 4x.

I decided to open them and give 'em a go. Worst comes to worst I can take them back to Office Depot I hope!

Here’s [B]another serial #[/B] I found in black inside the center of the top disc: [B]J4-01F60601259190H03[/B]

[B][U]What ImgBurn says about the blank DVD-R:[/U][/B]

TDK DVDRW0404N 1.0C (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,298,496
Free Space: 4,707,319,808 bytes
Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: RITEKF1

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: 0@P-!-00
Book Type: DVD-R
Part Version: 5
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,495,103
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Well, you guys were right about the [B]burner[/B] being [B]too old[/B]:

Now, shows my [B]firmware 1.0C[/B] and others such as [B]1.08[/B] & [B]1.09[/B]. Would my [B]1.0C[/B] be [B]newer[/B] than [B]1.09 firmware[/B]? You would think [B]1.09[/B] is newer than [B]1.0C[/B] yes?

The site also says my burner is really an [B]OEM NEC ND-1300A[/B]. Has anyone [B]re-flashed[/B] the firmware using an updated firmware for the [B]NEC ND-1300A[/B]?