What type of DVD media to use?

Hi, ok first of me a total noob so any suggestions are welcome :bow:

I bought a dvd rewriter. What kind of media should I use? I went to the store and they had several brands in
dvd+r
dvd-r
dvd-rw
dvdram

what does all the - + mean? I know the rw mean rewriter. :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried asking around the store but those guys didnt help me much.

I was so confused that I didnt buy anything :confused:

I really want to start burning dvd’s.
What kind of media should I use? :bow:

Hello and welcome to the forums,

I bought a dvd rewriter. What kind of media should I use?

usually we suggest to use high quality media, such as (real) Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. They are a bit more expensive but most of the burner can handle without any problems and give you good quality burns. For other media types I would suggest to check out the cdfreaks review for your DVD rewriter. Our reviewers tested many different types of media with various burner.

what does all the - + mean? I know the rw mean rewriter.

This thread should provide you with the necessary information.

H3rB3i thank you for the reply.
My dvd rewriter is benq DVD DD DW1640. So the review says is pretty good :wink:

There is so much to read! I read a bit but unable to determine what to buy+R or -R. What would you recomend? I only backup my data, PC games and maybe some movies too. I want it to play on everything including my notebook.

for the time being bought 5 unbrabded dvd+r discs. Now the label says 4.7gb but when I start burning it allows only 4.4-4.5gb? Is this because of low quality?

I saw a spindle pack of Verbatim, I will pick that up latter today :slight_smile:
thanks

with this drive, you can use a wide range of media without problems and you are also able to scan the final burns for their quality.

Have you checked the realted threads in our Philips/Benq Forum ?, here an example http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=138205

or the time being bought 5 unbrabded dvd+r discs. Now the label says 4.7gb but when I start burning it allows only 4.4-4.5gb? Is this because of low quality?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=950293&postcount=6

thanks again H3rB3i :):):):slight_smile:
if you could just let me know about this that would be great.
thanks again

I read a bit but unable to determine what to buy+R or -R. What would you recomend? I only backup my data, PC games and maybe some movies too. I want it to play on everything including my notebook.

If your notebook drive is able to read both, then makes no difference, personally I prefer +R. I would suggest to use high quality media (like I said in the first post), not because it’s 100% necessary but to be on the save side.

edit
at the moment I use Verbatim DVD+R 8x (MCC003; € 26.50 50 pcs spindle) with my NEC 3540A and they are written @12 with great quality
/edit

Yo-

Look at Taiyo Yuden 8x +R (T02’s) or Verbatim 8x +R’s (MCC003’s)-

Both are very good medias and your 1640 likes them alot (there are current issues with the 1640 and -R medias)-

If in USA - two good places to buy online are www.rima.com and www.supermediastore.com

Happy Burnin’

Mike

Holy Flipping Hanna!! Did I just read this right? Satch recomends +R media?? Oh Edith, here I come. It’s the big one. :bigsmile:

Yo Sportbreath-

As you well know - the Big Guy does not mislead the new folks around here - and tries to tell them the right stuff-

However - about an hour after I posted this - I found where BenQ has released new firmware (BSLB) that is supposed to correct this problem - and I have since found that my TY 8x -R TYG02’s give me a better Quality Score than my TY 8x +R T02’s - with the new firmware-

So go back to your minnow fishing in those potholes yall call lakes - there in MiniSoda

Mike

btw - CNN reported that your mosquitos were much larger than your fish…

Hey Satch… Better watch out. The next hurricaine could blow up your alley!!! Either that or the legend will come true of your yuppie Hollyweird state falling into the ocean. After all, we all know your cracked… :cool:

Yo-

Another Mark & Mike Show Shootout-

sigh

Right on Brother. Been a while. :bigsmile:

I suggest you to use Taiyo Yuden dvd media. Its quality is high.

Already been mentioned in Post #7 but thanks anyway and Welcome to the Forum. :bigsmile:

Oh, Sorry. I only want to emphasize it.

Just an FYI. Besides Meritline, checkout www.rima.com www.supermediastore.com and www.newegg.com