What type of case/wallet is suitable for archival storage?

vbimport

I’ve ordered an aluminium case that ‘holds 500 CDs/DVDs’. I got it today, expecting it to have enough space to hold the cases for the discs, but it comes equipped with plastic wallets with that kind of speckled white cloth material to store them in - I reckon it can only hold about 100 discs in cases, so I want to ask what you guys think about usng these wallets?

I know that for archival storage, a sealed case is recomended, but I’m wondering if the aluminium box itself is enogh of a seal or if you guys think I should use the jewel cases and get a bigger box?

The issue is not with the “seal” of jewel cases, its that there is nothing touching the surface of the disc. If the sleeves are of good quality thre should be no problems, also in the boxes, the discs are standing upright with nothing pressing down on them unlike the 100/200/250/300/whatever binder type wallets where all the discs are pressed down under their collective weight.
Sure having them in wallets blocks out light, which is a good thing as well, but the main issue is not damaging the disc itself.

Thanks for the reply. In the wallets, they touch the white speckled cloth - therefore surely I should avoid the wallets?

I suggest to avoid wallets. In my opinion the best storage is in jewel cases. To gain space you can choose slim jewel cases, but I think that the best are with black cover: transparent cases could allow to light to damage burned surface.

If you live in Europe I suggest you these slim cases

I store all my non-critical data DVDs in spindles, while the more important backups in jewel cases away from the light and other elements which may affect the quality of the disc.

@geno888 and @happyspader

Why are you guys choosing jewel cases over DVD-style cases? Just curious…

I personnaly use small and slim DVD-style black cases, saves room, doesn’t touch the disc, protects from light…

I’ve got plenty of them and they seem to use up less room compared with the standard DVD case :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah… double slim jewel cases, an extra space saver. Yes I use jewel cases with a clear front so I can see what’s inside, but I want an aluminium box to put the discs in anyway, so light isn’t an issue. Maybe I should get those double ones and a labelling kit though.

Francksoy, I think that the question is why not use CD-style cases? If there’s no DVD-style slip for the box, then why use unnecessary space up for empty box height?

Is the common consensus that these wallets are a no-no then?

Jewel cases save more space comparing to DVD cases. Moreover, I find a double jewel case here, gaining more space :bigsmile: . These are black, so avoid light damage on discs, and is possible insert a label for each case.

Sir,
The new patented archival sleeves from Kodak specifically made to combat the destructive elements of light and heat will be what you require. These are offered in 50’s.
Borgy

[QUOTE=Borgy;2472406]Sir,
The new patented archival sleeves from Kodak specifically made to combat the destructive elements of light and heat will be what you require. These are offered in 50’s.
Borgy[/QUOTE]
I got a bit confused when reading the forum index and saw that Borgy had posted in this thread since I couldn’t figure out what excuse he’d have for telling us how magnificent Kodak branded media is in it.
What didn’t occur to me until I read his post is that they have other products as well.

[QUOTE=Borgy;2472406]Sir,
Borgy[/QUOTE]

Sir,
please stop spamming this forum.
pepst.

I would suggest Tyvek sleeves. I’ve had the wallets stick to the top of a CD-R and peel off the coating. It’s not like I left them in the car…

Tyvek is acid neutral, non-static and smother then paper.