What type 2.5 inch enclosure compatible for ATA/IDE hard drive, laptop

vbimport

hi,
i am trying to save data from dead laptop’s hard drive by using enclosure. i tried a 2.5" IDE hard drive enclosure (for USB 2.0 to IDE; not SATA), but the interface connector (round pin holes) doesn’t match the hitachi travelstar 2.5" HDD 4500 rpm ATA/IDE (which has the slots/ or pins moreso like flat square plates/or slots); appears there are variations of IDE connectors/interface.

i searched the library for the HDD model# (IC25N060ATMR04-0) on www.hitachigst.com and came up w/ 2 results: hitachi travaelstar 80GN, and hitachi travelstar 5K80; the model # matched the 80GN and was 60GB based from the model#.

i found one enclosure though described for 2.5" ATA6 :
http://www.topmic.com/163-0158.html (and i dont know if mine is ATA 5 or not, though lable on HDD has 5V 1.0A; or if ATA5 is different than ATA6). any explanation and/or guidance would be much appreciated.

note, the HDD came from hp/compaq presario M2000 notebook.
tyvm,
lisa

Hi,[QUOTE=yelodog;2474492]
i am trying to save data from dead laptop’s hard drive by using enclosure. i tried a 2.5" IDE hard drive enclosure (for USB 2.0 to IDE; not SATA), but the interface connector (round pin holes) doesn’t match the hitachi travelstar 2.5" HDD (…) appears there are variations of IDE connectors/interface. [/quote]there are two standards for P-ATA HDD connectors: for 3.5" HDDs and for 2.5" HDDs. Some laptop HDDs might be equipped with some custom connector (from 2.5" standard to manufacturer specific), but these adapters can be removed.

So you need an USB/IDE adapter that supports the 2.5" IDE HDD standard.

i found one enclosure though described for 2.5" ATA6 :
http://www.topmic.com/163-0158.html (and i dont know if mine is ATA 5 or not, though lable on HDD has 5V 1.0A; or if ATA5 is different than ATA6). any explanation and/or guidance would be much appreciated.

note, the HDD came from hp/compaq presario M2000 notebook.

It does not matter if the drive supports UDMA6 or UDMA5 only. More important: You need an enclosure that comes with a power supply unit. Using only an USB cable (for data and power) will overload the USB port, so such a device might not always work.

Michael

ok, based from the maintenance and service guide for the hp/compaq presario notebook i have, removal and replacement procedures, had to remove the hard drive frame(4 screws) and was able to remove the (custom) connector; and now have access to the 44pin IDE connecter. here’s the situation:

based on suggestion for using adapter w/ external power adapter, i went ahead and bought vantec SATA/IDE to usb adapter (incorporates 3 interfaces 3.5", 5.25" and 2.5" drives; and comes w/ external power adapter); the pins match now w/ the (custom) connecter removed though the hard drive frame edge interferes and cant connect adapter unles remove the hard drive frame; and w/ the hard drive frame removed, have exposed board on 1 side of the hard drive and didnt like the exposure. o/w the vantec SATA/IDE to USB adapter was great and want to use. http://www.frys.com/product/5010555?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

other option is using the previous enclosure i had, sabrent 2.5" IDE hard drive enclosure (to usb 2.0, no external power adapter); the sabrent connector connects to the hard drive w/ the frame on and no problems.

searched for enclosures not limited to powered by usb only, and found untra ULT31738 hard drive enclosure for 2.5" IDE to usb 2.0, which has connection for 5V adapter(not suplied), though unknown if my hard drive frame would interfere w/ the connecter: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1072704&csid=ITD&body=MAIN

had idea of using hard disk protector sleeve to protect the hard drive w/ the frame off, so can connect to the vantec adapter, but i dont think so.

addendum

[QUOTE=yelodog;2474840]
other option is using the previous enclosure i had, sabrent 2.5" IDE hard drive enclosure (to usb 2.0, no external power adapter); the sabrent connector connects to the hard drive w/ the frame on and no problems.

[/QUOTE]

my hard drive w/ the frame on would not fit in the sabrent enclosure case part; guess i have to take the frame off though that leaves the 1 side of the hard drive w/ board exposed touching against inside of aluminum enclosure case, again i dont think so.

starting to reconsider the idea of using hard disk protector sleeve for 2.5" drive w/ frame off, and hey, can then use the vantec adapter. :eek:

You do not need a separate power source for your drive using the 44pin ide to usb2 connector, also if you do not touch the open power board on the bare drive and place it with the board facing up you will have no problems. If you want to use it as an external drive just tape a piece of cardboard over the power board.

i had searched other sites of how to’s to try get picture of the hard drive, though the pics showed only the top side of drive w/ lable. was unknown to me that hard drives have exposed PCB(green printed circuit board) on the other side, didnt know b/c ths one had a frame; and after asking around found out all hard disc drives have exposed PCB (i so embarassed, but hey i’m careful being me a rookie). the hard drive frame had a small sheet of mylar to prevent/protect contact to the PCB board, hence my cautions.

the hard drive had a small hole on lable side that said not to cover the hole, so didnt want to lie the drive w/ the board facing up, which would’v covered the hole, bottom side.

i decided not to use the sabrent enclosure b/c was sooo thin and tight, and was concerned of damage to the PCB from contact touching the aluminum enclosure.

i used the hard drive w/ the hard drive frame off, and careful placed/slided into 2.5" drive protecter sleeve (care of not touching the copper on the PCB). connected the 44pins connecter to the vantec SATA/IDE to usb adapter connecter/interface. used external power source, and connected usb to good lappy. the hard drive whirred and made the same noises and clicks i recognized so well when was in the dead laptop. the drive showed up on my lappy and was able to save the data (i scanned first w/ antimalware program). results good, and happy.

tyvm all for help and assistance.

note, i dont know b/c no one seems to mention ths, but from my reads from how to’s for opening up laptops/ or electronics for that matter, to be grounded so not to spark/shock the touched equip and parts which could damage and mess up the delicate electronics and boards. i found and used ths anti-static wrist strap, cordless (what’s nice is ths one didnt require a connector cable to a ground, and it worked great)
http://www.frys.com/product/4433376?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
fyi,
thx again guys
lisa