What to use for most reliable BenQ scanning: DW1620, DW 1640 or DW1650?

vbimport

Hi

I finally have 1 new BenQ DW1620, 5 used BenQ DW1640 (2 are BenQ, 3 are Philips versions crossflashed), 1 used BenQ DW1650 (Philips crossflashed).

I’ve been searching the net. I like that I have a lot of BenQ DW1640 but for testing I’ve seen that the most people use BSLB firmware. I would like to use last one, the BSRB one, for better DL writing score.

I know that DW1650 is not known as good as DW1640 (at least for scanning), as I have found on the forum.

My question is what to use for BenQ most reliable scans: BenQ DW1620 B7W9 or BenQ DW1640 BSLB (or maybe BenQ DW1650 ? )?

Having 5 x BenQ DW1640 I Intend to put one in some PL-3507 external case (Vantec brand) on firewire. and I could use BEFB for that external DW1640.

Thanks for your opinion.

So …
Let’s say it much more simple.
For DVD scanning what is the best choice ? BenQ DW1620 B7W9 or BenQ DW1640 BSLB ?

[QUOTE=Vasy;2595469]So …
Let’s say it much more simple.
For DVD scanning what is the best choice ? BenQ DW1620 B7W9 or BenQ DW1640 BSLB ?[/QUOTE]
I always preferred BSLB and @4x it would burn well with MKM001 DL(Verbatim 4x). I did not like the last 2FW releases for the 1640 :Z. BEFB is good if you need 16x reading and writing on your external box but they do well without the external Firm Ware @12x or less and BSLB will burn CDs well also.
Jim

Thanks Jim

I thought of testing the scanning consistency of BenQ DW1620 B7W9. But I think that for reason of time I won’t do it, or at least not too soon. Anyway I think I found one solution like this: I can use as internal BenQ DW1620 (mainly for scanning. I like very much this drive also because is in one very good condition, being actually “very” new and unused) and one BenQ DW1640 BSRB (for better DL burning). But for testing with DW1640 I will use one other external DW1640 flashed with BEFB.

It is funny that 5 years ago I had one optical unit :slight_smile: and now I have 32 units and I cannot use all of them in the same time. :slight_smile: Anyway for internal testing I will use also my new Asus DRW-24B3LT cross-flashed as LiteON iHAS624 B, so I can have also ability for scanning with one internal LiteON :slight_smile:

Have a nice day !

[QUOTE=Vasy;2595492]Thanks Jim

I thought of testing the scanning consistency of BenQ DW1620 B7W9. But I think that for reason of time I won’t do it, or at least not too soon. Anyway I think I found one solution like this: I can use as internal BenQ DW1620 (mainly for scanning. I like very much this drive also because is in one very good condition, being actually “very” new and unused) and one BenQ DW1640 BSRB (for better DL burning). But for testing with DW1640 I will use one other external DW1640 flashed with BEFB.

It is funny that 5 years ago I had one optical unit :slight_smile: and now I have 32 units and I cannot use all of them in the same time. :slight_smile: Anyway for internal testing I will use also my new Asus DRW-24B3LT cross-flashed as LiteON iHAS624 B, so I can have also ability for scanning with one internal LiteON :slight_smile:

Have a nice day ![/QUOTE]
:bigsmile:,I know what you mean I have about 50 DVDRWs.

:bigsmile:
Oho … 50 units. Nice !
I said to myself that the counting is stopped at 32 (round number :slight_smile: ) but yesterday I found on Romanian eBay equivalent (okazii.ro) one Philips DVDR1648 for only 15 dollars. So …:bigsmile: not very sure about when to stop counting optical units :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2595643]:bigsmile:,I know what you mean I have about 50 DVDRWs.[/QUOTE]

Hey Jim,

we should swap ODDs sometimes. :wink:
Mo’ coming soon. :flower:

The DW1640 with BSLB or BEFB firmware is the best choice for reading/scanning.

Yesterday i read somewhere on this blog that the BSLB firmware was preferable to the Bsrm, whic h I had , did the firmware change and now the disk is dead?

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2643269]Yesterday i read somewhere on this blog that the BSLB firmware was preferable to the Bsrm, whic h I had , did the firmware change and now the disk is dead?[/QUOTE]
There is no best, different firmware for different media

I know, have any idea why the burner met its surmise?

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2643369]I know, have any idea why the burner met its surmise?[/QUOTE]
Yes, its common knowledge, chipset that BenQ used ( Philips’ Nexperia PNX7860E ) was bought in whole by Liteons group and changed to Mediatek. To me and in my opinion only, the Nexperia was the best chipset I ever used in a DVD Burner. To bad they never lasted for SATA drives.

I think durkinjt’s drive died after the attempt to change firmware…which confuses me, because I didn’t think that happened very often.

Did the drive just outright die? Were there no error messages?

[QUOTE=Albert;2643372]I think durkinjt’s drive died after the attempt to change firmware…which confuses me, because I didn’t think that happened very often.

Did the drive just outright die? Were there no error messages?[/QUOTE]
I misunderstood Albert , thankyou. Just look on Ebay for a Plextor 740A or a Sony 810A both drives are BenQ DW1640s. It died because its old and you used it. :flower:

Actually, it was hardly ever used , I istalled it about 3 months aga and was working great until I changed the firmware

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2643509]Actually, it was hardly ever used , I istalled it about 3 months aga and was working great until I changed the firmware[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
This is indeed unfortunate.
However rare, does happen.

There is a very remote chance that if you flash in safe mode.
The drive may recover.
Admittedly unlikely, but what have you got to lose?

I always suggest to folk to flash in safe mode.
Simply because some PC back ground activity can interrupt the process.
Add to that corrupt downloads.

Not for the faint hearted… :doh:

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2643509]Actually, it was hardly ever used , I istalled it about 3 months aga and was working great until I changed the firmware[/QUOTE]

What did you use to flash it? I’ve had the best results with Windwflash. I do find BSLB to be the best for scanning.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2643521]What did you use to flash it? I’ve had the best results with Windwflash. I do find BSLB to be the best for scanning.[/QUOTE]

@durknit ,does the lights on the front of burner light up? Go into safe mode, and flash it again with a different firmware. Any firmware for the DW 1640, if you need the firmwares I can supply them. If this doesnt work contact me.

I had six of those, but have no idea what happened to mine. The names of those ancient models remind me of the vast 1.8m x 2.7m x 1.5m computer case I once built.

We are way off topic… But that’s moderators work. :flower:

[I]@ durkinjt[/I], you can never kill a DW1640 as long as you flash it with firmware designed for it and its rebrands (alan mentioned a few).

My 2 cent. :slight_smile:
Find an old compu that can run in pure DOZE and reflash.
i. Use flasher; BenQCVT from our old friends http://tdb.rpc1.org/. Read instructions carefully! [disconnect all other CD/DVD/BR units on that box.]
ii. Try goxgle and find a binary .CVT file suitable for flashing DW1640 in DOZE. (pm alan if you have problem finding a .cvt file.)

Good luck. :wink: