What to get?

vbimport

Building a new computer.

I will wait till the fall to get a dual layer burner (hopefully 12-16x). What set-up should I get to maximize my spped of ripping and writing using the freeware available. I want the fastest possible.

RAM and Type?
Processor?
Hard Drive?
DVD-Rom?
Etc???

Thanks for any input.

Fastest possible? drool

CPU: Athlon 64 FX-51
RAM: 1GB PC4200 Dual Channel
HD: 2x WD 250GB SATA
GFX Card: Radeon 9800XT
CASE: Koolance Water cooled PC2-650BU
DVD-ROM: LiteOn HD166

The Athlon 64 FX53 should be available any day now… and that one really rocks your socks :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Do I need an expensive video card if mostly I will be burning movies PS2 games and doing internet related stuff, I am not an avid gamer.

I am trying to be a little cost effective also.

Well then you don’t want the above, that is top of the line and would be very expensive.
I just head fastest possible and started drooling :stuck_out_tongue:

Have a read through this thread. Somethings like that would do you great :smiley:

BTW, dual layer and 12-16x are mutually exclusive. Dual layer will be 2.4x only for quite some time. As for 16x, there may be 16x burners around, but there won’t be any 16x media.
As for 16x burning, any current setup with a competant IDE controller can handle it.

Here is a nice LiteOn time line map for further clarification :smiley:

We all know that these maps are usually a little off, so I would say to add six months or so to the timeline.

It seems that your PC will be used for the more or less regular desktop applications. For those systems an Athlon XP or slower (standard) P4 would suffice. If you want to go the future proof way, I’d avice a Athlon 64 running at either 3000+ or 3200+. Most likely, the Athlon 64 mainboards will stick around for some time and CPU upgrades will be possible.

A videocard? Well if you are not a gamer, the cheapest videocard (maybe onboard) is sufficient. If you want to do some gaming, get a card like the Ati Radeon 9600 or so. Those cards perform reasonable right now and will be enough to game for some time. No top speeds, but still good performance for the money!

Onboard? Boooooo! I could never in my right mind recommend onboard, even for the non gamer. Makes me shudder when I think of it.

Even GF4 MX440 (128bit) version will slaughter most onboard video.
Don’t do it man!!!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]Onboard? Boooooo! I could never in my right mind recommend onboard, even for the non gamer. Makes me shudder when I think of it.

Even GF4 MX440 (128bit) version will slaughter most onboard video.
Don’t do it man!!!

:stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

Ah well… I have an onboard video card on one of my systems (NForce 2 video, so comparable to the 440MX, giving me about 4500 3D-2001-Marks). Great for non-gamers (I am a non-gamer, but still I equipped my system with a Radeon 9700) :wink:

Built the same system for my parents… I don’t get too many calls so it must work like a charm :slight_smile:

Perhaps, I just can’t bring myself to recommend it! shudder
:smiley:

Thanks for the replies.

So is it the RAM, Processor or Hard Drive that dictates the fastest possible ripping and writing of a DVD?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by colleycol
[B]Thanks for the replies.

So is it the RAM, Processor or Hard Drive that dictates the fastest possible ripping and writing of a DVD?

Thanks in advance. [/B]

None of the above, it’s the IDE controller and hard drive combined that will deliver adequate data rates.