What to do with those empty blank dvd spindles

vbimport

I thought this looked kinda neat.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1249327/cables_box/

Ever hear of recycle :flower: have a nice day :smiley:

that looked like recycling to me :slight_smile:

It’s a nifty idea, but being an old radio guy I can tell you for sure it is never a good idea to coil current bearing wires like that. It creates an electromagnetic field that can give you really strange results especially on unshielded electronic stuff like computers and peripherals. Not to mention what it can do to the signals traveling along those wires. Note that I am not saying that it will do any of this, only that it can and it is difficult to troubleshoot if you are not aware of the potential.

cool

[QUOTE=90312;2082877]It’s a nifty idea, but being an old radio guy I can tell you for sure it is never a good idea to coil current bearing wires like that. It creates an electromagnetic field that can give you really strange results especially on unshielded electronic stuff like computers and peripherals. Not to mention what it can do to the signals traveling along those wires. Note that I am not saying that it will do any of this, only that it can and it is difficult to troubleshoot if you are not aware of the potential.[/QUOTE]

This person is talkin truth…:bow:Them faraday coil (am I right ) or would this end up an induction coil so to speak would or could mess up one’s electronics, like engine wiring, i try not to run wires parallel to one another, rather to cross them, if need be. my two cents…:bow:

[quote=90312;2082877]It’s a nifty idea, but being an old radio guy I can tell you for sure it is never a good idea to coil current bearing wires like that. It creates an electromagnetic field that can give you really strange results especially on unshielded electronic stuff like computers and peripherals. Not to mention what it can do to the signals traveling along those wires. Note that I am not saying that it will do any of this, only that it can and it is difficult to troubleshoot if you are not aware of the potential.[/quote] Exactly. :iagree:

It’s even worse to coil power cables AND signal cables up close to each other like this, since this will maximize the interference from the strong current in the power cables with the much weaker current in the signal cables.

The only way you could get worse signal interference would be to use a metallic core to coil the cables around instead of the plastic core in the empty cakebox. Think transformer technology. :wink:

Just what I need, cakeboxes with wires all over the floor. That will look nice and professional. [B]NOT.:bigsmile:;)[/B] And since this thread has nothing to do with DVD Fab I will move it to the Living Room, where it may get more exposure.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2082954]And since this thread has nothing to do with DVD Fab I will move it to the Living Room, where it may get more exposure.[/QUOTE]Good idea Alan i was trying to figure out why it was in DVDFab forum last night when i first read this thread.

with the low frequency produced by the power cables and the quality of the insulation it is not a problem. you wont run into trouble until you get high frequencies such as fluorescent lights, high frequency welders, generators, anything that is phase 3.

one might not want to see the boxes sitting around. but if its behind a desk or next to a desk it would look better than a tangled mess of loose hanging wires. even though it wouldnt necessarily look good either.

still cool idea.

[quote=troy512;2082969]with the low frequency produced by the power cables and the quality of the insulation it is not a problem. you wont run into trouble until you get high frequencies such as fluorescent lights, high frequency welders, generators, anything that is phase 3.[/quote] If you coil together AC power cables and e.g. phono cables going to the audio input of an amplifier, you will add to any 50/60 Hz hum going out of the amplifier to the speakers; this could very well be audible/annoying.

I also imagine that coiling AC power cables and an analog video cable together might result in visible disturbance in the video signal on screen, especially for poorly shielded and unshielded video cables.

Can’t say I have tried either, since I already know the theoretical possibility of such signal interference and thus always avoid it.

Thanks i was Wondreing what these FAB CHAPS were doing in the Living Room all of a Sudden :stuck_out_tongue: till I read your post :bigsmile:

I dont like the idea, BUT has anyone else got another :flower:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2082987]If you coil together AC power cables and e.g. phono cables going to the audio input of an amplifier, you will add to any 50/60 Hz hum going out of the amplifier to the speakers; this could very well be audible/annoying.

I also imagine that coiling AC power cables and an analog video cable together might result in visible disturbance in the video signal on screen, especially for poorly shielded and unshielded video cables.

Can’t say I have tried either, since I already know the theoretical possibility of such signal interference and thus always avoid it.[/QUOTE]

I agree and we aren’t talking RF here we are talking EM. Frequency oscillation is not really a part of the equation. We are talking about signal distortion due to the influence of an EM field. And like I said in my initial post, it doesn’t have to happen but I assure you it can happen.

[QUOTE=diane7;2082989]Thanks i was Wondreing what these FAB CHAPS were doing in the Living Room all of a Sudden :stuck_out_tongue: till I read your post :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

i dont have my own recliner in the living room but i stop by every now and then. ive even posted pics.

I’d be more worried about the fire risk from the heat generated in the bulk of:

[ul]
[li]a coiled cable bearing an alternating current :eek:[/li][li]further insulated by more wires :eek: :eek:[/li][li]the whole lot in a closed container :eek: :eek: :eek:[/li][/ul]

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2082997]I’d be more worried about the fire risk from the heat generated in the bulk of:

[ul]
[li]a coiled cable bearing an alternating current :eek:
[/li][li]further insulated by more wires :eek: :eek:
[/li][li]the whole lot in a closed container :eek: :eek: :eek:
[/li][/ul][/QUOTE]

You saying that, reminds me of one of those coiled extension leads we had.

Whoever was using it at the time (not me!) didn’t pull all the cable out, and the whole lot melted inside the circular container :eek:

I like my spaghetti wiring mess :bigsmile: it has character :smiley:

[QUOTE=Bob;2083026]I like my spaghetti wiring mess :bigsmile: it has character :D[/QUOTE]

Me too :bigsmile:…keeps the cat out of the corner as well :bigsmile:

Well…rather mundane, but, what I am using my old disc spindles for is: to store dvd’s that I would like to keep, but not worthy of putting in jewel cases or wallets. For example I have been dubbing discs from VHS, then copying those files to my hard drive. I probably won’t need the intermediate dvd again, but will keep for backup for a while. Also, making spare discs for various purposes. So, the old spindles are a convenient short term storage.

When I’m lazy and don’t wanna do the dishes, I’ll throw some cereal and milk in them and use them as bowls, JUS KIDDIN’! LMFAO