What to do with all these discs?

vbimport

I have recently purchased several dts disc. I was told that they were for blu ray players. I have no use for them. Does anybody know what to do with them? Many movie titles. Kung Fu Panda, Avatar, Marmaduke, Aliens in the attic, She is out of my league, and several more.

thanks,
AudioStu

I’m not quite sure what you are talking about here. DTS is a form of audio that is used in some dvd videos, and is quite common in blu ray video. DTS audio could also be found in the now obsolete format called HD DVD.

DTS audio found in dvd video is quite limited in specifications, 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 6.1 channels, Half Rate (768 kbit/s) or Full Rate (1,536 kbit/s)

DTS audio in blu ray can be Full Rate, or can be DTS HD Master Audio, which is a lossless format. DTS HD MA is becoming the most commonly found audio format in blu ray.

If these are blu ray disks, you’ll need a blu ray player or a blu ray drive in your computer. It is possible to convert blu ray to dvd-video, to play them in any regular dvd player, but you will still need a blu ray drive and a decryption program to get the videos onto the hard drive of your computer first.

Kerry56,

Thank You for your quick response. I have a jpeg file of one of the disc that I attached to this message. I do have a blu ray player but the disc is in a unreadable format.

Thanks again,
AudioStu

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2597378]I’m not quite sure what you are talking about here. DTS is a form of audio that is used in some dvd videos, and is quite common in blu ray video. DTS audio could also be found in the now obsolete format called HD DVD.

DTS audio found in dvd video is quite limited in specifications, 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 6.1 channels, Half Rate (768 kbit/s) or Full Rate (1,536 kbit/s)

DTS audio in blu ray can be Full Rate, or can be DTS HD Master Audio, which is a lossless format. DTS HD MA is becoming the most commonly found audio format in blu ray.

If these are blu ray disks, you’ll need a blu ray player or a blu ray drive in your computer. It is possible to convert blu ray to dvd-video, to play them in any regular dvd player, but you will still need a blu ray drive and a decryption program to get the videos onto the hard drive of your computer first.[/QUOTE]

This may be a demo/trailer disk. I don’t see the blu ray logo anywhere on the disk.

Have you tried playing it in a dvd player?

I did try in both dvd and blu ray players. Are the worth anything to anybody?

Seems like test discs made by the DTS consortium.

If they are all broken like the one you posted none of them will ever play.

The one in the pic is the only one broken. I snapped it on accident trying to get it out of the case. I have a total of 39 now(all in cases). Do you know of anyone who would be intrested in them?

The American Tea Club may use them as coasters. :slight_smile:

This is interesting - I have never seen a disc like this before. Might this DTS Audio disc be the high definition of a CD? It looks like the soundtrack of a tester disc of Kung Fu Panda. It looks like that to me - Is this disc playable in high definition players, such as a Blu-Ray player or the defunct HD-DVD player?

Keep hold of them Stu - I’m no expert, but I have a feeling they might be worth a bomb in a few years.

Chad,
I have not been able to play these discs on blu ray or hd dvd. I really don’t know a whole lot about DTS audio. I would not even know where to go to sell them.
Mr Belvedere,
The unemployeed comedians club called…they want their jokes back. Just kidding… thanks for any and all information you all can give me.

Interesting, how about maybe a player designed FOR that purpose? DTS, if I remember right, is the same format they use on DVD Video / HD Video. A compression system for audio? Who knows.

Maybe have a look for a DTS player. If I remember right, you need some special software to be able to play DTS discs correctly - I don’t think they will work on ordinary CD players.

Try here: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/192606-DTS-Player-Software

Also, if you can play them, might it be worthwhile ripping the disc and then downconverting them to 16-Bit WAV files? (CD Standard)?

If they are truly DTS disks and your player doesn’t support the format but does play them it should just play as hiss or white noise as it’s all digital bits on the disks. Most any DVD player or BluRay player should be able to play them but maybe they are something different or special. Also I think you’ll need a DTS capable receiver or pc player to play them or again you’ll just get noise.
My Western Digital live media player plays DTS files just fine and they sound great so I use them quite a bit for audio stuff, some in 5.1:bigsmile:
Pretty sure VLC will play DTS files so you might have a look at ripping them or trying them through it and see what happens.

DTS is just another sound format, next to Dobly. It’s better than Dolby, but mainly for musical pieces.