What To Convert an Avi To? DVD or SVCD or what?

If i’ve got an avi file what should I try to convert it to if I want to burn a disk from it?

I mean, if it appears (before any further processing) to be about 700Meg then it could be a VCD or a SVCD or a DVD, couldn’t it?

Is there some way of knowing which it should be?

Is there some optimum way that gives the best results and some undesirable way that perhaps means too much processing or something and gives bad results?

regards,

ab :slight_smile:

I would convert it to DVD using DVD Flick…

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f59/dvd-flick-basic-guide-228005/

Has anyone had any problems with DVD Flick and the sound being out of whack? I have had this a couple times, but other than that think it is a pretty neat DVD tool.

If you want to play it back on a set top dvd player,
you need to convert to mpeg2…

Buy a DVD player that plays Divx or Xvid for $50 and don’t bother converting.

Why should he buy a new dvd player? May be he wants this for some one else. And may be a cord for $5 is even better so he/she can connect the computor to the teli direct!

Well well. Use convertX. Have used the programme my self and it works just fine. After the convention you may want to use dvdlab to create some neat menu’s.

You will of course not have dvd quality

[quote=bootstrap;1955717]Why should he buy a new dvd player? May be he wants this for some one else. And may be a cord for $5 is even better so he/she can connect the computor to the teli direct!

Well well. Use convertX. Have used the programme my self and it works just fine. After the convention you may want to use dvdlab to create some neat menu’s.

You will of course not have dvd quality[/quote]
Just a suggestion to avoid having to convert, saving time and further degradation of the file.

Give [B]FAVC[/B] a try.
It is a good AVI -> DVD video converter, with a basic menu creator.

[QUOTE=rago88;1955159]If you want to play it back on a set top dvd player,
you need to convert to mpeg2…[/QUOTE]

What do you mean mpeg2? They still play on my player, but sometimes the sound gets out of whack, and picture gets distorted.

I’d also go with FAVC…But olyteddy was right in suggesting not to convert if you can avoid it, and why not purchase a player especially if you have lots of avi’s…You can take the advise or not ,up to you…
we’re all just trying to help!..so convert away…:slight_smile:

roxio’s divx to dvd option in the easy media creator works great for me. load up the avi pick if you want ntsc or pal, widescreen or full frame, click convert and it presents you with a nice video_ts file to burn straight to dvd or run through dvdshrink.