What to buy pioneer 109 or pioneer 108?

vbimport

I been looking for days at ALL the information between the two. Here’s my situation, From past experience, with my computer, the only burner that gave me excellent results was a Pioneer A05 (I tried numerous burners & tons of coasters). My A05 finally died and I once again tried, Benq1620, two different Liteons and tons of coasters. So I am going to the Pioneer again. Mainly I am looking to backup my kids movies, and they have a ton of them.
I am afraid to get the Pioneer 109 until the bugs are worked out along with fw issues, so I am leaning towards the Pioneer 108. If I go with the Pioneer 108 what fw should I use? What media is the BEST for backing up movies?
I am not concerned a whole lot with the speed, because I will probably only burn at 4x or max 8x. I really would appreciate any feedback, because you will help me in my decision. Thanks.

After reading some of the threads I would say you should go with the proven 108 right now, but I would get the retail version that can rip a DV9 at 12x instead of the OEM which will only rip at 5x. if you really have that many movies to do As far as firmware goes use the lastest.

The best programs for backing up DVD’s are DVD Shrink, DVD decryptor, and Clone DVD along with AnyDVD. Just do a google search for them and you should have no problems finding them. The best FREE!!! one is DVD shrink.

What is the retail version called. All I could find is 108(OEM)

According to the pioneer website the 108 with the latest firmware reads the same as the DVR-A09XL?

DVR-108 - Read Speed
DVD-ROM (single) Max 16x CAV
DVD-ROM (dual) Max 12x CAV
DVD-R MAX 12x CAV
DVD-RW Max 8x CAV
DVD+R Max 12x CAV
DVD+RW MAX 8x CAV
DVD+DL*2 MAX 8x CAV
DVD-RAM Max 2x CLV
CD-ROM Max 40x CAV
CD-R, Max 40x CAV
CD-RW Max 32x CAV
CD-DA (DAE) Max 40x CAV
CD-DA Max 9.3x CAV
VCD Max 9.3x CAV
Mounting Orientation Horizontal and Verticle
Interface ATAPI (PIO Mode4)/Multi Word DMA Mode2) Ultra DMA663(Ultra DMA Mode4)
Data Buffer (size) 2 MBytes
Dimensions (W x H x D) 148mm x 42.3mm x 198mm 5-13/16"x1-11/16"x7-13/16"

DVR-A09XL - Read Speed
DVD-ROM (single) Max 16x CAV
DVD-ROM (dual) Max 12x CAV
DVD-R, DVD+R MAX 12x CAV
DVD-RW,DVD+RW Max 8x CAV
DVD+DL MAX 8x CAV
DVD-RAM Max 2x CLV
CD-ROM, CD-R Max 40x CAV
CD-RW Max 32x CAV
Mounting Orientation Horizontal and Verticle
IDE Interface ATAPI PIO Mode 4, Multi word DMA Mode 2 16.6 Mbytes/sec. Ultra DMA mode 4

66.6 MBytes/sec.
Data Buffer (size) 2 MBytes (Write, Read)
Dimensions (W x H x D) 148mm x 42.3mm x 180mm

If you are going with the Pioneer DVR-108, use the Piodata 1.18 kernal and firmware. As for quality discs, use Taiyo Yuden DVD-R or DVD+R. The Piodata firmware will bitset the DVD+R discs to DVD-ROM so they shouldn’t be any potential compatibility issues.

are there any reviews out for the 109 or preferably A099 as well?

If you’re patient, you can probably get the 109. If you demand that everything work perfectly right this minute, you’d probably be better off with a 108.

Thanks I ordered the A08. After lots of researching I am going with Ritek and Taiyo Yuden media. Thanks for all the input I appreciate it.

get both !

Mark, if I may ask, where did you find a reputable dealer for the A08. I’m interested also. I’m not having any luck googling as the few dealers I find I’ve never heard of and the customer reviews are not that good concerning the dealer.
Thanks,
Jonn

Asus DRW-1604P retail at Newegg for $74 plus $3.50 shipping. As I understand it, this is a rebadged Pioneer 108 and can be flashed with the Pioneer firmware.