What Subtype and Target Writting Power exactly mean?

Using “CDR ATIP Reader v0.92”, I checked the cd I just bought (Kodak Ultima 80 Silver+Gold)

Here is the result in the Translated Data:

Media : CD-R/RW media
Media : CD-R media
Subtype: Medium Type B, low Beta category (B-)
Disc(Matrix) Manufacturer : Kodak Japan Limited
Recording Characteristics : Short Strategy Type (ex. Phthalocyanine type media)
Indicative Target Writing Power : 4 mW
Use : Restricted
Capacity (nominal) : 702.83 Mb

Using the same proggy and checking one of those old clear blue HP done by Taiyo Yuden, I got:

Media : CD-R/RW media
Media : CD-R media
Subtype: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+)
Disc(Matrix) Manufacturer : Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
Recording Characteristics : Long Strategy Type (ex. Cyanine type media)
Dye Type : Cyanine
Indicative Target Writing Power : 4 mW
Use : Restricted
Capacity (nominal) : 656.40 Mb

So I ask you, what Subtype mean? Is B- mean less good than A+? that is the first impression I got… or is it only valid for a brand… ie. kodak do A+ type then some B+ then some C… or whetever?

Second question, what the Target Writting Power mean, I mean… if it is 6mW or 4 or 5… what is better and why?

the A+ and B- have nothing to do with the quality. i have ricoh cdrs that say C- but they are very good quality. i also have CMC cdrs which say A- but they are utter crap. the target writing power is lower with good cdr’s. 4-5 is good and even 6 is alright but anything higher requires too much power when writing a cdr and could shorten the lasers lifespan.

What those subtype exactly mean, it is a manufacture reference or what? I secondly thought it was probably a manufacturer id…

like CMC can do A, B and C type of media… meaning the A are better or whetever…

Like Kodak Gold can be A… and Kodak Silver+Gold = B, etc… or smthing like that… But I dunno… if someone know or have a good reference for that, I will like to read it.

And btw, thanks for the reply about writting power cd pirate… :wink:

Originally posted by cd pirate
4-5 is good and even 6 is alright but anything higher requires too much power when writing a cdr and could shorten the lasers lifespan.

ah i was just about to ask the same question… cool thx!!

so for eg princo’s needs target power writing of 7!! so that can’t be good…

Originally posted by webcrawler
[B]

ah i was just about to ask the same question… cool thx!!

so for eg princo’s needs target power writing of 7!! so that can’t be good… [/B]

7!! thats the highest ive ever seen. thats even higher than some pioneer 6x cdrs ive used (target power 6). most good brands like TY, Verbatim, Kodak etc, only have target writing power of 4. i think kodak GOLD ultima has a target writing power of 3.