What Speed Should I Burn These Discs At?

vbimport

Hello everyone. I just have to ask something that I am a little unsure about.

I have got a load of old Dreamcast images that I am going to burn the CD.

The CDs that I am using are these TDK ones and my burning software will be Alcohol 120%.

The drive in my computer is labeled as a _NEC DVD±RW ND-3530A.

My question is, what is the best burn speed to burn these discs with?

Many thanks. I look forward to reading your responses and becoming a little wiser.

well if those games are important to you, it would probably be a good idea to use either TY or Verbatim media.

but anyways i would say burning @ 16x or maybe 24x aint a bad choice.

but im sure other members on here will probably give you more details :wink:

[quote=NBR;2081674]well if those games are important to you, it would probably be a good idea to use either TY or Verbatim media.

but anyways i would say burning @ 16x or maybe 24x aint a bad choice.

but im sure other members on here will probably give you more details ;)[/quote]
Thanks.

Won’t the TDK media I have do, or is Verbatim that much better?

Also, aren’t those speeds a little high?

Can anyone else shed some light on this matter?

[QUOTE=getfirefox;2081962]Thanks.

Won’t the TDK media I have do, or is Verbatim that much better?[/QUOTE]Some Verbatim CD-R is just that much better. Others are just about equal. I personally wouldn’t worry about it that much [but then, I do have Taiyo Yuden media–branded as Maxell CD-R Pro–that I have for critical, work almost everywhere applications].

For modern media, such as 48x media, you do NOT usually want to burn BELOW those speeds. My rule of thumb: 16x to 24x is good for audio, and 24x to 32x is good for data, with a little bit of mix-and-match when I have troublesome media. I drop to 10x from time to time, but that is only on burners that don’t do very good CD writing. [I believe your NEC is a good/decent writer].

[QUOTE=Albert;2081971]My rule of thumb: 16x to 24x is good for audio, and 24x to 32x is good for data, with a little bit of mix-and-match when I have troublesome media. [/quote]I’ll back this up :iagree:

[I believe your NEC is a good/decent writer].
It should be. Most NEC burners are very good CDR burners. Nevertheless, if it behaves like the 3540 (which is very likely), for lowest jitter audio discs could benefit from @8X writing if one has extremely picky ears and a very lousy audio CD player. :bigsmile: - for any decent audio CD player, @24X is fine. :slight_smile:

Wow, thanks you guys. I am such a noob at this compared to you. Guess I’ll pick up some Verbatims next time. Its also good to hear my DVD drive is an OK one.

[QUOTE=getfirefox;2081962]Thanks.

Won’t the TDK media I have do, or is Verbatim that much better?

Can anyone else shed some light on this matter?[/QUOTE]

well i think most of the comments above the one im writing now pretty much summed it up but…

Question #1 = well if data is THAT important to you it’s a ‘good idea’ to use Verbatim.

Question #2 = not at all cause the ‘myth’ of ‘burning slower is better’ aint always true and in some cases makes it burn worse etc etc… if you spend some time in these forums you will find out the truth about cd/dvd burning (pretty much) and NOT what the companies want you to believe about how good they ‘claim’ there media is etc etc… i think you get the idea :wink:

Question #3 = yep, they already did above :wink: lol