What speed is best

I’ve heard that you should burn DVD’s at half speed for best quality, is this true?

My drive is at laptop Matshita DVD-RAM 8x and the media is TDK 1 - 16x

The MID is TDK 003

What speed should I burn at?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Burning speed is related to the combination of burner/firmware/media.

Probably your burner don’t have correct writing strategies for this media, because 8x burners are old and firmwares are not more updated.

Have you tried to insert a disc on the burner and see at what speed it is able to burn?

id3372, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

I don’t know wich Matshita laptop drive you have, but with my Matshita UJ-840S I have found that writing at 8x always results in a lower quality burn than when burning at 6x (for al the media I have tested). I haven’t tested TDK 003 yet though, but I very much doubt it would be an exception.

I suggest you try burning your 16x DVD media at 6x on your Matshita laptop drive.

If you have another (desktop) DVD burner availabl that supports disc quality scanning, you could scan your burned discs and report back here. If yu don’t have such a drive, I suggest you stick to the “burn at 6x” rule of thumb that I have found.

On a desktop DVD burner my answer would be a little different, but you specificall asked about a Matshita laptop DVD burner.

For laptops 8x is the current maximum burn-speed for DVD media, so an 8x DVD laptop burner can still be state-of-the-art and support the latest media codes.

My Matshita UJ-840S prefers 16x DVD+R media from Taiyo Yuden over all other media I have tested, but even that media burns better at 6x than at 8x, and 4x is the best speed for quality burns.

I burned it at 6x, and despite what appears to be a small pin size hole in the surface it plays fine. It even works in the ps2 which has trouble with burned discs sometimes.

The only way I know how to check disk quality is with nero and the scandisc came back clean. (my drive doesn’t support disk quality or c1/c2)

Thanks guys.

The state-of-the-artness can be determined by looking at the drives’ stats.
My Samsung TS-L632B, for example, is a drive which burns [U]+[/U]R @ 8x and is a drive of the 8x generation because it supports [U]+[/U]RW only @ 4x.
The successor TS-L632D still burns [U]+[/U]R @ 8x, but does +RW @ 8x and -RW @ 6x, so it is a drive of the 16x desktop burning generation.

FYI, [B]Francksoy[/B] reported that TDK 16x DVD+R (TDK003) has stability issues. Make sure to check your burned discs for readability, quality and transfer rates regularly. :wink:

[Kinda OT (again :bigsmile: )]

No panic needed, the ones that I found degrading are doing so at a rather slow rate. Nothing to do with Ritek g05. I doubt that there are many users who expect their discs to last more than 4-5 years except guys like [B]Chas0039[/B] (expecting lifetime) or myself (expecting 12-15 years), so this TDK003 stability issue is no big deal for most. Just that for very important data or long-term I wouldn’t recommend them. The funny thing is that the TDK 16X -R TTH02 that i have here, that give so-so scans with very high PIEs to start with ( > 160 PIE/8ECC, very similar results to the ones [B]Dee-27[/B] had in a recent drive testing with these discs), seem totally stable.

[/Kinda OT (thanks for your patience :bigsmile: )]