What speakers to buy?

Sorry guys i like my Klipsch just fine. Once you buy the best you will buy the rest.

[QUOTE=CDan;2045651]I’d differ, strongly, with this statement. The odds of finding speakers from different makers that have similar sonic characteristics are slim to none. There’s nothing more disappointing than listening to a 5 or 7 ch surround system with un-matched speakers, when compared to one with matched speakers. Not even in the same class. Given the $5k budget here, there’s no reason to be looking at anything other than a matched set. And since this thread is in a HT forum, it stands to reason that HT is the goal. And the budget also allows selection of a pair of mains that will be more than adequate for 2-ch music.[/QUOTE]

Discussions often spawn differences of opinions and this is what forums are all about.

You are correct in pointing out that I overlooked the OP $5K budget, but I had to. I could not make possible recommendations with being provided with a budget as the only qualification. I also cannot assume that since the post was made in the HD forum, Home Theater would be the primary use. Too many assumptions.

In a perfect world, or a perfect system, the ideal preference would be for the speaker system to be matched. Unfortunately, realism dictates otherwise. Not everyone can devoted real estate to large center channel speakers from manufacturers such as Martin Logan or B&W to match their better front speaker lines. Often these large center channel speaker can be considered “aesthetically rude” from a decor standpoint. Often consumers may be required to vacate the better series to scale down center and rear speaker sizes.

Fortunately, pioneers for audio sound processors, such as Motorola and Yahama with the DSP technology, have graced us with technologies that has evolved for superior compensatory integrty. Most home theater processors have evolved today to provide correctivity in terms of sonic compensation and calibrations to surmount all but the most extreme deficiencies, with emphasis on room size, speaker placement, listening position, room shape, etc.

Also consider the fact that approximately 80% of home theater content is dialogue, which is usually ported to the certer channels. “Foley” accounts for the majority of the remaining content and those are ported to the real channels. With that in mind, it would be prudent to maintain the center/rear channel match. Depending on the movie, lateral transitions can be infrequent and almost no existent, thus minimizing the importance of the front speaker role. The occurance of these transitions are usually so fast that differencences in sonic characteristics may not be perceivable except to the most discerinig ears, unless the linerity of the speaker placement is so extreme or the differencies in the efficiency of the speakers are not properly compensated for. The wider the speaker placement, the more pronounced deficiencies are exposed.

In the real world, idealism is not always achieveable, but it is nice to know that there are options abound.

Sure, everyone would like to have a Lexicon Sound Processor, feeding Krell amplifiers piping balanced bi-wire cables into Martin Logans complimented by 15" subs on each of the four corners for home theater setup. That is until the reality of the center channel speakers often exceeding four feet in width and rear channels sometimes at three feet in height sinks in.

The bottom line is, we may not always agree and practicality may sometimes elude us. But I am sure most forum members benefit from the discussions, ultimately.

Thanks for the input [B]CDan[/B], it benefits us all.

[QUOTE=Bob;2045658]Sorry guys i like my Klipsch just fine. Once you buy the best you will [B]NOT[/B] buy the rest.[/QUOTE]:doh:

So we are talking about Timbre Matching the speakers for HT. This Blurb discusses some of the things we have talked about and tries to explain the Timbre Matching thing.

Yeah Bob Klipsch are nice. A friend of mine who has the same Video set up as mine bought a set of these Paradigm speakersyesterday and called me over to hear them. He hooked them up to his Onkyo TX-SR 805 and cranked it to max volume right away.:eek: I tried to say you might want to break those in but I don’t think he heard me. I honestly thought at that volume there would be some type of distortion but man did they sound good and they are aesthetically pleasing to my eye(small footprint as well). When he finishes building this system I will go over and poke pin holes in his speakers.:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=crossg;2046055]Yeah Bob Klipsch are nice. A friend of mine who has the same Video set up as mine bought a set of these Paradigm speakersyesterday and called me over to hear them. He hooked them up to his Onkyo TX-SR 805 and cranked it to max volume right away.:eek: I tried to say you might want to break those in but I don’t think he heard me. I honestly thought at that volume there would be some type of distortion but man did they sound good and they are aesthetically pleasing to my eye(small footprint as well). When he finishes building this system I will go over and poke pin holes in his speakers.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]oh yeah :bigsmile: if you cannot crank it up without distortion then take them back…simple as that.

Yo Greg-

What did you think about the Onkyo TX-SR805-eh??

(Mine’s now mated with the Toshiba HD A35 - a dynamite combo - especially when you use 1.3a HDMI cable between the player and the receiver)

[quote=bigmike7;2046541]Yo Greg-

What did you think about the Onkyo TX-SR805-eh??

(Mine’s now mated with the Toshiba HD A35 - a dynamite combo - especially when you use 1.3a HDMI cable between the player and the receiver)[/quote]
Hi Mike, Yeah it is a great reciever for sure and I like it better than my TX-SR705. (If the prices up here weren’t so high I would have one):sad:The On screen display looks much better, it has a nicer back panel lay out, lights to indicate what speakers are being powered and most of all more power. Just so you are aware we just did the the DSP update for the DTS HD Master bomb on certain HD-DVD and BD movies (Loud pop that sounds like a rifle shot that can damage speakers). This effects some Onkyo and Yamaha receivers (mine as well) This only happens when bitstreaming DTS HD MA to the the receiver (receiver decodes) If the player is decoding it’s not a problem. You can download the fix from the Onkyo website by entering your model and serial number but it’s a pain to find so it is also available here. If you have no success PM me and I will email it to you.:wink:

[QUOTE=crossg;2045568]LOL.:bigsmile: Most women would probably prefer something like this but I don’t think they would make the cut for me.:)[/QUOTE]Yuk, horrible :stuck_out_tongue:
Speakers only need to be heard, not seen. It can be done. :wink:
There is a fairly hefty sub, front speakers and center speaker in this pic. Of course they are not as powerful as most the models in this thread, but powerful enough for our lounge.

[quote=Dee-27;2046727]Yuk, horrible :stuck_out_tongue:
Speakers only need to be heard, not seen. It can be done. :wink:
There is a fairly hefty sub, front speakers and center speaker in this pic. Of course they are not as powerful as most the models in this thread, but powerful enough for our lounge.[/quote]
Ya did good then!:iagree: Actually if I ever build a new house again I would probably go with in wall speakers. Then you are not constantly tripping over, dusting yada yada yada.:slight_smile:

The sub is behind the unit on the floor. :wink:

Center is behind the TV set, ain’t saying where the fronts are. :slight_smile:

waits to hear "thats bad"

Back on topic
I like Mission speakers.

[quote=Dee-27;2046852]The sub is behind the unit on the floor. :wink:

Center is behind the TV set, ain’t saying where the fronts are. :slight_smile:

waits to hear "thats bad" [/quote]Hey whatever works for you! :wink: My first thought was is her sub magnetically sheilded that close to the TV but I don’t think that’s relevent with Plasma’s and LCD’s.

[quote=Dee-27;2046852]
Back on topic
I like Mission speakers.[/quote]
I seriously looked at Mission Speakers before buying but I didn’t like the sales guy and moved on. Aren’t KEF Speakers popular on your side of the pond?

[QUOTE=crossg;2046871]Hey whatever works for you! :wink: My first thought was is her sub magnetically sheilded that close to the TV but I don’t think that’s relevent with Plasma’s and LCD’s.[/QUOTE]yeah i wouldn’t say it’s bad as long it’s set the way they like it. The only thing with down firing subs is if they are on carpet…they need to be placed on glass or plexiglass. Dee is it a down firing sub?

Now the center behind…not sure what to think about that :confused: The center is actually the most important speaker.

Yo-

[B]PINNACLE[/B]
Here is a often overlooked - but great quality speaker systems with a [B]10 year warranty[/B]-eh!!!

http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2046929]Yo-

[B]PINNACLE[/B]
Here is a often overlooked - but great quality speaker systems with a [B]10 year warranty[/B]-eh!!!

http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/[/QUOTE]oh Mike come on now…

[QUOTE=Bob;2046943]oh Mike come on now…[/QUOTE]Yo Bob-

Have you ever heard/auditioned them??

If you had - you would never say that-eh!!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2047034]Yo Bob-

Have you ever heard/auditioned them??

If you had - you would never say that-eh!![/QUOTE]Are they what you use Mike?

[QUOTE=Bob;2047361]Are they what you use Mike?[/QUOTE]

Yup - Pinnacle Classic Gold Towers are my main front speakers-eh!!

[B]@Bob [/B]
The sub is front firing and it took ages to get the positioning correct to get the sound i like. (i hate booming base).

[B]@crossg[/B]
Yep KEF are popular here but i preferred the sound of Mission, which IMO sound very neutral and i have a set for my Hifi.

Yo Dee-

Missions are an awesome speaker-

I have a 70c3 as my center channel and four 77 dipoles for surrounds - great ‘neutral’ sounds-eh!!

I am chiming in kind of late, anyways have the Polk speakers 7.1 and they sound Ok but as the first posting said try the JBL. Have you noticed at weddings or halls or concerts most of the systems are JBL that should say something I am sure that you don’t want those kind of speakers but to me it tells me that JBL speakers must be really good. My .02 cents.:bigsmile: