What software do you use to rip & burn a backup copy?

Wombler posted this in another topic & that gave me the idea to start this topic . So please post your main method of ripping from a commercial movie disc. Doing what you need or want to to get it ready to burn. Then the software you use to burn it.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2602365]TBH I find it more flexible using multiple programs as you can do an awful lot more.

Personally my own sequence is:-

DVDFab - To rip the full disc.

PgcEdit

To edit the disc structure and if necessary the start point.
To remove unplayable PGCs and unwanted content.
To edit and remove unwanted menu screens.
And to edit the menu commands to make removed content unselectable.

DVD Rebuilder - To compress (if required).

ImgBurn - To burn.

If I want to produce a movie only copy and there’s no compression required then I use DVD2One as it’s exceptionally quick at doing this.

Wombler[/QUOTE]

My usual method is to rip with CloneDVD2 with Any DVD running to decrypt.
I use CloneDVD2 to remove anything I don’t want .Most of the time I use
“Copy DVD Tittles” with preserve menus unchecked . I also uncheck all audio tracks I don’t want. For me this is English Dolby AC­3/6 . I leave in all the subtitles because they take little space. Also I only rip with the
" DVD+/­R DL " setting that way the
" Target size sufficient, transcoder disabled " message. That way CloneDVD2 isn’t “transcoding” the movie . I do the rip to a HDD.
Then if it needs compressing I do so with DVDRebuilder . Right now I’m using HCenc_025 as the encoder . I tried HCenc_026 but didn’t like it as well.
For the burn I’m split between CloneDVD2 & ImgBurn both seem to work equally well for me.
Usually I use Verbatim + or -R .
For not my main method & on a difficult disc I use h2cdimage with Any DVD . Then load that .iso into Virtual Clone Drive. Then do the rest of the process with my main method.
I do ocassionally use DVDFab if it has been updated first & I need to rip a new release movie . Or if my main method fails on a certain disc.

I do need to learn PGCEdit a lot better & use it when I need to .

My backups are movie only, almost invariably, so I don’t have to mess with any programs to remove warnings, trailers, etc.

With dvds, my process is to start AnyDVD to remove encryption. I also check AnyDVD to see if there are any types of advanced protection on the movie. Any movie with advanced protection gets ripped to the hard drive with the built-in ripper within AnyDVD at this point. Most do not.

I then use DVDShrink to examine the movie and find out how much compression will be necessary to fit it onto a single layer dvd. If there is only a small amount of compression necessary (less than 5% of the total size), I’ll go ahead and use Shrink to compress the movie.

If the movie needs more compression than that, I use DVDRebuilder Pro and the HC encoder to reencode it, always working from a ripped copy on the hard drive, never directly from the disk.

Then I use ImgBurn to do the actual burn to a disk.

For blu ray, I rip the entire disk to the hard drive using AnyDVD’s built in ripper. I make movie only backups to 25gb disks using BD Rebuilder, and burn with ImgBurn. I use different modes in BD Rebuilder, depending on how much compression will be necessary to fit onto a 25gb disk. If there is little compression needed, I often use the High Speed 25gb option. For those that need more, I use a High Quality 2 pass encode.

If thats all you are doing is ripping a bluray or compressing a DVD for backup then AnyDVDhd and CloneDVD2 are the only software you really need. But if you are compressing Bluray then there are a few alternatives, CloneDVD2 will not do this. Rebuilder is one, and VSO has a new interesting product that is still in beta. How IMHO, with streaming video becoming more prevalent on mobile devices and in the household, I think that all these programs will soon be history.:wink: JMHO. Don’t shoot me, its just my opinion, not a fact;) DVD Fab is still on the cutting edge with 3d backups and other very nice features also, it just depends on what you want to do.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2602396]I then use DVDShrink to examine the movie and find out how much compression will be necessary to fit it onto a single layer dvd. If there is only a small amount of compression necessary (less than 5% of the total size), I’ll go ahead and use Shrink to compress the movie. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good way to do it. I’m probably going to too much trouble for all movies that need compressing.
I have found several that didn’t need compressing ripped DVVD9 movie only.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2602400] If thats all you are doing is ripping a bluray or compressing a DVD for backup then AnyDVDhd and CloneDVD2 are the only software you really need. But if you are compressing Bluray then there are a few alternatives, CloneDVD2 will not do this. Rebuilder is one, and VSO has a new interesting product that is still in beta.[/QUOTE]
The transcoder verses encoder issue . I think that DVDRebuilder gives some better quality than CloneDVD does on compressing.
I haven’t worked with any blueray yet & don’t even have a BD drive.
So thats’s not a problem for me anyway.
I ocassionally mess with some editing & use other software.
For example TittleWriter to add a simple menu for a TV series DVD. The one I did recently & ripped with no menu(movie only). The TittleWriter menu only added 20kb .
The original menu was 25,358kb so much smaller & does what I need to select the episode I want.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2602400] How IMHO, with streaming video becoming more prevalent on mobile devices and in the household ,I think that all these programs will soon be history[/QUOTE]
Not all of us have a fast enough connection to stream well enough. Maybe that will change. I could switch providers , do the extra wiring, & pay a lot more to get to streaming speed . I’m just not going to unless I’m forced to. So it will be a long time before the software is of little use to me.

Nice idea for a thread cholla as it’s always good to hear what others are doing and you never know what software gems you find. :iagree:

It’s good to see comments with regarding Blu-ray too as a lot of people aren’t sure about that yet.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2602396]My backups are movie only, almost invariably, so I don’t have to mess with any programs to remove warnings, trailers, etc.

With dvds, my process is to start AnyDVD to remove encryption. I also check AnyDVD to see if there are any types of advanced protection on the movie. Any movie with advanced protection gets ripped to the hard drive with the built-in ripper within AnyDVD at this point. Most do not.

I then use DVDShrink to examine the movie and find out how much compression will be necessary to fit it onto a single layer dvd. If there is only a small amount of compression necessary (less than 5% of the total size), I’ll go ahead and use Shrink to compress the movie.

If the movie needs more compression than that, I use DVDRebuilder Pro and the HC encoder to reencode it, always working from a ripped copy on the hard drive, never directly from the disk.

For blu ray, I rip the entire disk to the hard drive using AnyDVD’s built in ripper. I make movie only backups to 25gb disks using BD Rebuilder, and burn with ImgBurn. I use different modes in BD Rebuilder, depending on how much compression will be necessary to fit onto a 25gb disk. If there is little compression needed, I often use the High Speed 25gb option. For those that need more, I use a High Quality 2 pass encode.[/QUOTE]
Except for the Blu-ray part (because I have not yet purchased one :o) I do exactly the same thing :slight_smile:

I also do this;
If I’m moving a DVD movie folder to another hard drive or partition or even on the same partition because I want to edit but want to keep the original as a backup.
I use CloneDVD2 to transfer the folder.
I had problems when I did this with Windows copy & paste.
I’ve never had any problems with a CloneDVD2 transfer & it is faster than Windows copy & paste anyway.

Except for ripping proggies (I use Fab) I also do pretty much as Kerry56… Fab >Main movie only>DVDshrink if needed on small compression flicks and DVDRB pro otherwise…And the Cadillac of all burning tools of course…I really don’t need to mention it, right!..

A thing I don’t like about CloneDVD is that it copy first all files to a temp directory and the files are moved to the target directory. DVD Shrink can to the job directly from source files, so it is faster :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2602513]A thing I don’t like about CloneDVD is that it copy first all files to a temp directory and the files are moved to the target directory. DVD Shrink can to the job directly from source files, so it is faster :)[/QUOTE]
I beleive it only does that for “on the fly” or an .iso file.
If you are ripping to the harddrive as DVD folder I don’t beleive CloneDVD uses a temporary file. If you can post a location of the temporay files/folders for rip to the harddrive .I will see if Clone does this on my next rip.

I never tried to make a backup directly from the original DVD (with anydvd running in background of course). I always used it on files already ripped on the disk.

Even if no compression must be applied (i.e. extracting the main movie only with no menu and removing all foreign languages) I noticed that the temporary file step is done anyway. This is a bit annoying, because there is no sense in creating temporary files first.

I set the temporary file directory in a physically separated disc (i.e. no a different partition on the same drive), but even with faster discs it is a waste of time :frowning:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2602396]My backups are movie only, almost invariably, so I don’t have to mess with any programs to remove warnings, trailers, etc.

For blu ray, I rip the entire disk to the hard drive using AnyDVD’s built in ripper. I make movie only backups to 25gb disks using BD Rebuilder, and burn with ImgBurn. I use different modes in BD Rebuilder, depending on how much compression will be necessary to fit onto a 25gb disk. If there is little compression needed, I often use the High Speed 25gb option. For those that need more, I use a High Quality 2 pass encode.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much exactly the way I do it except, if it’s >70% I stay with CloneDVD, <70% I use DVDRebuilder/HCenc. I don’t really use Shrink anymore. With BD I never use the High Speed 25gb because I generally start the encode before bed or before going to work, so I don’t really care about the speed.