What should I do?

vbimport

I want to set up the following configuration:

WD 120GB SE ATA100 HDD
JLMS XJ-HD166S ATA33 DVD-ROM
NEC 2500A ATA33 DVD writer
Lite-On LTR-52246S ATA33 CD-RW drive

I only have 2 IDE channels. Now what should I do?

I thought connecting the DVD-ROM with the HDD in the same IDE channel, but it may decrease performance.

You could put your HDD on a controler card.:smiley:

Put one of the opticals on a controller card. Always keep primary HDD with O/S on direct primary Master off the motherboard IDE channel.

Although you can ust throw one optical on the same IDE as the HDD and see if it affects performance any, to some it is so un-noticeable they never know nor care. I don’t think it matters unless you are a heavy gamer and need a top gaming rig.

Originally posted by Chriso
You could put your HDD on a controler card.:smiley:

Yes, that’d give the best performance, but it’d cost some money as well.

If you are willing to spend money on a controller card, I’d advice to get a raid-enabled card. Raiding harddrives can give very very nice performance and/or safety gaines. If you’re up to it, I can tell you, it’s worth the money!

The cheaper IDE controller I can get is the Lycom ST-305 Ata133/Raid for 19,50€.

I don’t want to use RAID, so, if I buy the controller it’s better to put one optical unit connected to that controller, am I right?

It really depends on the controller card. Most inexpensive cards are lower performance than the IDE from the mainboard but higher end cards can actually surpass mainboard performance. Obviously the more they cost the mor eoptions you have, like flashing BIOS and such. Simply put, you get what you pay for.

I would in your case get the cheapest controller card possible and throw an optical on it.

Note:
Some disagree that using controller cards and preferring them to have the HDD is better(I saw this before in many posts here at cdfreaks), but from personal experience and doing benchmark tests I see this is untrue. I had a promise card however that performed better than the IDE on the mainboard. So you never know, do your research first.

Originally posted by xtacydima
I would in your case get the cheapest controller card possible and throw an optical on it.

Ok, good solution.

Just one little thing I want to add: make sure the card you buy supports ATAPI devices. There are loads of IDE controllers that can handle optical devices, but only in PIO mode (and you don’t want that…).

Here are the technical specs for this controller:
http://www.lycom.com.tw/ST305.htm

It seems to support ATAPI devices.