What SATA Control Card w Blu-Ray?

Hi-
Is there a SATA control card that is not PCI? PCI will not support Blu-Ray, it is not fast enough. If you had to choose would you choose HD or Blu-Ray?
Have a good one,

• SkipperChaim

[QUOTE=SkipperChaim;2652393]Hi-
Is there a SATA control card that is not PCI? PCI will not support Blu-Ray, it is not fast enough. If you had to choose would you choose HD or Blu-Ray?
Have a good one,

• SkipperChaim[/QUOTE]

Fast enough wait let me see … BD drives are not HDD or SSD and will never achieve those speeds so let’s be realistic shall we. PCI will support BR drive as matter of fact I have a PCI 4 port Sata card that has a Liteon BR burner attached to it and it works fine and that card is 5 years old if I recall correctly. So I don’t know where your getting your info that a PCI sata card will not work with a BD burner drive is at best very bad information that you have to go off of. HD lost out to BD so your reading out dated materials. BD drives are the one to upgrade to if you can afford just the BD readers but if you want to burn BD you will need to invest in BD burner drives. Since you give no specs or hardware that you have no one will know what exactly your talking about???

[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you are trying to use a SATA Blu-ray with an old Motherboard that has IDE. So either change the MB or get an IDE Blu-ray Burner. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2652426]… or get an IDE Blu-ray Burner. :cool:[/QUOTE]

This won’t happen unless you find an old drive model, pretty much.

Skip, I’m part of the head-scratching crowd on this topic, and I checked our local hardware gurus and they are unaware of PCI-not-supporting-BD due to data-stream limits.

Their only provisio - “I don’t think I’ve ever tried it, though.” They have SATA3 HDDs running thru PCI Sata controllers - cheap ones, too.

But burning is a different operation than magnetic Reads & Writes, so I’m left head-scratching on this.

[QUOTE=Albert;2652433]This won’t happen unless you find an old drive model, pretty much.[/QUOTE]

I have one in my Old P4 Rig, that I use as a Server. It worked great, I Burnt a lot of Back-up Blu-ray Movies. You can still find a few, Panasonic Makes them, SW-5582-C. Check the Link below Geeks.com is out of them, but you can find a couple on eBay. :cool:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-SW-5582-C-DO-R&cat=DVD

there are sata to ide & ide to sata available in market…

But many of these are not compatible with optical drives but only work with hard disk drives.

Have a good one,

• SkipperChaim[/QUOTE]

I honestly wish I could find someone selling any HD drives CHEAP.

as in ~$5 each. They’d be real useful a decade from now to generate peals of
laughter at a “Chinese Auction” as a gag gift for the technically oriented.

I have never actually seen an HD drive or HD blank media offered for
sale, because I believe the standard “died” before they got around to making any.

I’ve already got one gag-gift set aside for the future… The Matrix film trilogy on HD-DVD still sealed.

I think I paid $8 for the set at a goodwill store.

Does your Motherboard have any available PCI-E x1 slots available?

a simple PCI-E controller is considerably faster, but I agree that it probably
doesn’t matter on an optical drive…

I think I still have an HD drive in the attic