What really works?

I have been attempting to use nero 8 vision to convert AVI files to DVD and burn them to play on a stand alone player. All I get is the constant 100% CPU usage and the program freezes. I’ve already checked DMA mode (OK) and all the other recommended fixes…NO LUCK Nero’s suggestion is to use Recode to convert to mpeg 4 (takes ~4hrs for a standard 1.5hr movie) and it will not burn on nero’s OWN vision software either!!! Same 100% stuff. at
100 bucks for their software I expect much better. I my opinion NERO is trash… a CPU and memory hog and a total waste of money!! Just wanted all newbies to read my thoughts. Now… that I’ve vented, after reading others recomendatins I’ve tried the free (with watermarks) download of ConvertXtoDVD v3 and so far it’s worked OK. Today however I see that many prefer v2 over v3. I don’t mind spending the money I just want something that WORKS! What’s everyones opnion, am I about to waste more $$. Also on ConvertX’s yearly subscription, does that mean it won’t work at all anymore or will I just not be able to update. HELP!!! Opnions everyone. Whats the best software out there to convert files and burn DVD’s with having to go through numerous steps.

I like ConvertXtoDVD personally. On either of my (dual core) machines, it doesn’t slow anything down.

As for whether it stops working, I would guess not, you’d just have to pay for any further updates (although someone may correct me on this, as I haven’t reached a year with it yet).

Still using v2 myself, haven’t tried v3…

ConvertX2DVD is one of the more popular covnersion software packages and it does a reasonable job. You could also try DVD Flick or FAVC.

And the 100% cpu is normal. The app is using all of the available cpu power to perform the conversion.

On a side note, you could simply get a Divx certified DVD player. Then you can simply burn your avi files to CD/DVD as data. You will save conversion time, use less media, and preserve the “quality”.

I understand the 100% CPU is “normal” but when that happens the progran freezes and nothing else can be done. The 100% peg out happens in the chapter and preview modes which I don’t actually use, it’s just my way of checking it before I get to the burn screen and make another coaster!

[QUOTE=dburns;2031506]I understand the 100% CPU is “normal” but when that happens the progran freezes and nothing else can be done. The 100% peg out happens in the chapter and preview modes which I don’t actually use, it’s just my way of checking it before I get to the burn screen and make another coaster![/QUOTE]

But that’s best discussed in your other thread, as it’s dealing with that problem :wink:

As I said, ConvertXtoDVD doesn’t tend to use so much of my resources that it freezes the PC, so you should be fine with it.

Thanks for the reply! I tried all the suggestions in my previous thread and also from Nero. Nothing seems to work so I thought maybe I’d cut my loses and move on. Nero techs said that some of my avi files were actually mjpeg files and to try downloading a codec. Any suggestions there? Will convertX work on mjpeg files.

You can check your files yourself to see which codec they use. Just use Gspot or Mediainfo.

I did use g-spot and it works really well. Nero suggested using Recode to convert the mjpeg files to mpeg 4, which it did, but Vision still would not burn it. Exact same 100% freezeup. Thats when they suggested the codec.