What protection is used on the XBOX?

vbimport

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone in here know th enature of the copy protection used on XBOX game DVD’s ?

I know that the contents of the DVD’s are encrypted and the decryption key is stored in the XBOX somewhere, but what makes it impossible to do a binary 1/1 copy of a game ?

ilDoc

You have answered your question yourself! :slight_smile:

The public/private key exchange between the game and the XBOX :smiley:

Backups of XBOX games are possible, but you need to bypass the key exchange by modifying the actual console (not recommended)

It all comes back to making a proper 100% 1:1 copy - which just isn’t possible without obtaining the Glass Master and a replication machine! :slight_smile:

MC

Muzchap, if you don’t understand the question don’t feel the need to answer it.

The reason why XboX DVDs cannot be copied is that they contain various
modifications both at logical and physical level that a burner cannot
read and burn. For the record, the first obstacle to overcome would be
to reach the actual Xbox data after the leadout, which already requires
firmware modifications.

LOL I do understand the question! :smiley:

But - the guy needs to know that no matter what he does with his discs he aint playing them without modding the console!

It cuts out about 40/50 posts to’ing and fro’ing…

But yup - if the 100% Technical explanation was required then I apologise - I was wrong to put what I did!

It’s all in the interpretation of the question… and as a Mod, you have much more practice at that! :stuck_out_tongue:

MC

I was actually looking ofr the in dept tecnical explanation. I was wondering how almost all PC game copy protection schemes can be bypassed by clever burning software coder. But the XBox (and PS2 for that sake) schemes seems not to be breakable. (Not without hardware modification of the consoles)

ilDco

I have been messing with xbox mods and PS2 mods for a while now.

First thing to note is that an Xbox game can not even be read from a windows machine.

It is not so much the drive per-se, but more of how the disc is formated.

For instance there are people who have replaced their xbox drives with toshiba ones, to read recorded media better (xbox drives are notoriously bad drives)

PS2 can be read via windows NP, and actually can be 1:1 copied, but you have to have a moded console to play them.

Really the only way to back up an xbox game is to use the xbox’s drive, wether via ftp, or a straight dumb to the HD

I forgot what else I planned on saying but that gives you a little insight

Originally posted by muzchap
[B]You have answered your question yourself! :slight_smile:

The public/private key exchange between the game and the XBOX :smiley:

Backups of XBOX games are possible, but you need to bypass the key exchange by modifying the actual console (not recommended)

It all comes back to making a proper 100% 1:1 copy - which just isn’t possible without obtaining the Glass Master and a replication machine! :slight_smile:

MC [/B]

dude, wtf is a Glass Master???

I think he means a DvD pressing machine.

Which basically stamps DvD’s, it is what they use to make mass quantities of them.

These machines can put data in places that a burner cannot, and this is how they make some of the copyright protection schemes.

Originally posted by forcelite

PS2 can be read via windows NP, and actually can be 1:1 copied, but you have to have a moded console to play them.

What’ windows NP??

Supposed to be windows XP, but it really doesn’t matter because every windows version wont read xbox games

There is absolutly no protection on an Xbox cd–
The data on the is simply written backwards, causing it to be read improperly, thus not displaying it

The (true) start of the xbox is at the end, which also explains why you can only see ~15mb when you insert it, which is the only 15mb of the disk that isn’t backwards.

The only way you can dump (read or copy) a Xbox cd, is to use a mod chip on an Xbox, edit the bios, and be able to see the CD in the xbox over a network to your computer-- haven’t tried it though, so don’t ask.

And since sony isn’t nearly as great of a computer company as m$, they wouldn’t know how to do it… PS2 sucks anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

objection, xbox DOES have protection on it, just not as complex as ps2 and ps2 doesnt suck.:stuck_out_tongue:

First of all … Xbox games are pressed on DVD’s , not cd’s.

A xbox is just a P3 machine with an OnBoard Geforce chipset and shared memory. It’ll be no surprise that Microsoft just did some encryption and security settings.

The player in a xbox is usually a “standard” Samsung dvd player , except for the front loader and connections. It uses standard IDE/ATAPI to communicate , uses a standard power connector , but also uses a weird white connector (with yellow cables) on the audio out.

The content of a xbox dvd cannot be read in a normal dvd player ,only in a Xbox itself. It is however no problem transferring the content of a xbox dvd to your pc using ftp on a modified bios/dashboard.

You will need to make a modified iso of your copied game though , and usually some executables have to be patched (Xbox executables check if they are runned from dvd). Modifying the iso can be done via special programs.

The only thing the modified bios/dashboard does is to SKIP the protection check. Nothing more , nothing less.

mayb i shudnt b asking this, but how is it possible to acquire a modified chip/board and get the cables:confused:

Originally posted by merther02
mayb i shudnt b asking this, but how is it possible to acquire a modified chip/board and get the cables:confused:

plenty of websites for that. It’s still legal in most countries.

By the way , i looked up the copy protection schematic :

Similar to a technology already being tested in limited markets by Bertelsmann, Xbox DVDs will also undergo a process that prevents the discs from being ripped, or copied, by pirates and pretty much everyone else.
Sonopress, the exclusive Xbox DVD replicator and also a Bertelsmann subsidiary, will use anti-ripping technology called Cactus Data Shield from Midbar, an Israeli company specializing in copy-protection solutions.

The technology is supposedly transparent to the end user and does not affect the content within the disc. In a previous test of a similar technology from Midbar by BMG last year forced the cancellation of a large scale roll-out as consumers complained that the CDs that contained the copy-protection would not play well, if at all, on their CD or DVD players.

Source : http://www.gamemarketwatch.com/news/item.asp?nid=1800

ok, thanks for, now please answer my question

websites-how 2 get em

Originally posted by merther02
websites-how 2 get em

Well i use a browser for that :slight_smile:

[google]xbox modchip sale[/google]

I bought my modchip @ the first hit google tells you. I wouldn’t recommend them though , because it took them three months to ship it and their after sales is horrible.

Be reminded that when you open up your xbox console , the warranty is void. If you access Xbox live with the use of a modded xbox console , your xbox will be blacklisted by the central server.

The protection for XBOX is ID KEY Encrypted ROM CHIP.
each XBOX has its own Encrypted KEY and can only be by passed with a MODDED ROM CHIP/MOD CHIP ect.

also there media is done in a Diffrent Media type.
unreadable in PC DVDROM/DVDRW

those Drives will read only what has been made readable (SMALL MEDIA FILE STATING YOU HAVE TO USE THIS MEDIA ONLY ON XBOX) ECT.

and to by pass that you have to FXP/FTP the Data of the game/s from the XBOX to PC ect with XBOX exclusive FTP transfer TOOLS.
what you do is plug NIC cable from XBOX / PC but the only way for it to work is modding the XBOX first and getting the FTP TOOLS onto the xbox HDD then after that you can CONNECT to the XBOX via your PC.

ALL IN ALL you cant go and backup the offical way you have to mod/change something to do so. Like everything else out there lol apart from the DREAMCAST :smiley:

BTW there is ways of loading backups without a modchip.

It is called the save-game hack. The only game I know of that works with this is Bond 007.

I there are many sites that have allot of good info, but I dont want to link to any site.

Force

Ok, I will give a link, but not to my favorite site

save game hack info