What Printer to Get?

I’m in the market for a direct CD/DVD printing printer. I’ve done a lot of reading, and am still a bit confused. I will be using this printer for strictly DVD’s, and CD’s. I want something that will print with good quality and wont be overly costly for ink refill/cartridges…

Epson, Canon… :a

Any insight would be appreciated, also if you know where to pick one of these up I would appreciate it;

I’m looking to spend under $200 on the printer purchase if possible.

It depends on where you are located if in the USA then either a Epson or HP printer if outside
the USA then a Canon unless you are in the mood to modify a Canon printer to make it print a
CD/DVD. You can get a nice Epson AIO for a lot less than $200.00 that prints, scans and does
a pretty good job at both.

Epson Stylus Photo RX680 All-in-One Printer $109.99 + shipping
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63069505

or if you’re not really interested in the scanning part how about the

Epson Stylus Photo R280 Ink Jet Printer $99.99 + shipping
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63069504

I warmly recommend Canon Pixma IP4600, but if you’re in USA, I think you will need to get CD/DVD tray for printing on CD’s/DVD’s.

Same question for me. What are the practical differences between RX680 and R280. Is the Cd printing quality the same?

I need a professional type quality because we design video games at college and we need a printer to create professional level sample DVDs in small quantities.

Is the Canon Pixma better quality than the Epsons?

I have an opportunity to buy the R280 for about $60 or RX680 for about double that. What would you guys suggest? I have never used a cd printer before.

-Thanks

Their printing qualities are almost similar, although if you’re going to do some high-volume disc printing I’d highly recommend a Canon printer. Epsons take about twice (or more) time to finish a disc than a Canon.

I’d like to recommend the Canon iP4500 over the iP4600 - the newer printer is actually slower than the previous generation. A multifunction alternative with the same print engine is the Canon MP610 - of which I am a proud owner of. I print full-face color discs in around a minute. :wink:

[quote=InternetExpert;2209681]Same question for me. What are the practical differences between RX680 and R280. Is the Cd printing quality the same?
I need a professional type quality because we design video games at college and we need a printer to create professional level sample DVDs in small quantities.
I have an opportunity to buy the R280 for about $60 or RX680 for about double that. What would you guys suggest? I have never used a cd printer before.

-Thanks[/quote]

The 280 and 680 appear to use the same print engine and do use the same ink. But the 680 allows you to keep plain paper in lower tray for standard printing and photo paper in the upper tray for printing covers for those DVD’s you’re making. Add an excellent scanner to that, and it might be just the thing you need. It’s worked great for me. Together with a good CISS. The E-bay seller I purchased my CISS from is selling the combo for under $200.00. http://cgi.ebay.com/EPSON-STYLUS-RX680-PRINTER-W-CONTINUOUS-INK-CISS-CIS_W0QQitemZ350163567375QQihZ022QQcategoryZ178QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem. On the bang-for-your-buck scale, this one goes off the top of the chart. In the US, that is.
More importantly, if you’re looking to create truly professional-looking DVD’s, do spend the extra money on Taiyo-Yuden glossy watershield discs. They look much closer to commercial discs than matte printables.