What platform are you using making a DVD ripping and encoding?

I just wonder how hi-end the platform you’re using making the encoding for mine (Atholon 650) is always damn slow.

Originally posted by xmansean
I just wonder how hi-end the platform you’re using making the encoding for mine (Atholon 650) is always damn slow.

I used my P1 233 MMX once… Took him two days :slight_smile:

On my Athlon 900 it takes about 9 hours.

Do you want to upgrade your pc for it?

I use DVD2SVCD on my P4 1,8. Takes meabout 5-8 hours, depending on the movielenght.

Originally posted by xmansean
Do you want to upgrade your pc for it?

No , it does its encoding while i’m sleeping.

I use an Athlon XP1800+ with 512mb ddr ram and I can go from dvd to vcd in about 4 to5 hours.:smiley:

XP2000 overclocked to 1.774 (10.5x168)

Takes about 3.5 to 4 hours for an average length movie for me.

XP 1600+ here, DVD - > DivX takes about double the length of the movie.

P4 1.6A Overclocked to 2.5ghz (156 x 16) with 512 MB DDR memory 1:1 ratio with fsb.

Using DivX 5.01 two pass will take anywhere from 3-4 hours. Demuxing the audio and converting to lame vbr mp3 takes another 30 minutes or so (I think).

This is a lot faster than my previous setup (Celeron 566 @ 850mhz with SDRAM) which would take in the neighborhood of 8-10 hours just for the 2 pass encoding. Audio took about another 2 hours.

p4 1.7 ghz win xp 256mb ram, 20 minutes to rip, a little bit faster than realt time to encode in divx 5.01

Originally posted by kwkard
p4 1.7 ghz win xp 256mb ram, 20 minutes to rip, a little bit faster than real time to encode in divx 5.01

I have an Athlon 2100XP, 768MB DDR and it takes me about 3 - 4 hours to encode a movie.

kward, how are you able to encode real time with the spec that you have? :confused:

Whats the output size of your divx movies?

Do you leave the mpeg 4 tools off?

Or is it the apps that you use?

Currently, I’m using Gordian Knot 0.26 because I’ve found it to offer high quality, but if theres a faster app which offers high quality divx’s at real time, then I would be grateful if you could mention the app that your using. :slight_smile:

i’ve been using vidomi version 4.05 and it works great my movies are high quality. THe file size is usually one cd but ocassionally i’ll do two cd’s and they both encode fast. As for mpeg4 tools, i leave the default setings alone, I use lame audio @ 192 no normalizing, And it usally encodes at around 32fps. I use the same settings on my AMD Athlon 800with 128mb ram and it takes 3-4 hours. Hope that helps

dual athlon 1.4ghz (2x1.2ghz oc’d) with a gig of ram…

encodes at about 40-50 FPS on average

(average 2 hour movie takes 1h:20m to compress per pass)

@ my p3 866 it also encodes while i’m asleep :slight_smile:

Once I figure out how to do it right, and get the computer working, I’m going to rip it on my P3-866 and then encode it on a dual Pentium 200 MMX w/128MB (if I can get it working). I know it will take a while but that way I can still play games and stuff on the good comp. I tried to convice my dad to let me use his quad P3 Xeon 500 for the encoding, but he won’t put Windows on it (running redhat 7.3 right now, …he’s a linux fanatic).

Just a question…do all encoders make use of dual processors, or is it just certain ones (and if so which ones)?

no one seems to make sensible answers to this question

if using divx 5 ticking options can double the time it takes

on my
xp1600+ encoding full size with pro options ticked
takes 2x to 3x length of movie (2 pass) (pass 1 slower)

with no options ticked
takes 2x length of movie (2 pass) ( both passes same speed)

Originally posted by sarahjh69
[B]no one seems to make sensible answers to this question

if using divx 5 ticking options can double the time it takes

on my
xp1600+ encoding full size with pro options ticked
takes 2x to 3x length of movie (2 pass) (pass 1 slower)

with no options ticked
takes 2x length of movie (2 pass) ( both passes same speed) [/B]

What do you mean other peoples comments are not sensible? :confused:

Xmansean asked us what spec pc’s we use, to rip and encode, and thats what people have told Xmansean!

We even went as far to tell Xmansean how long it takes, (THE WHOLE PROCESS) based on those specs.

You’ve done the same as what other people have, told Xmansean the power of your processor and then went on to mention how long it takes. The simple difference is that you went further mentioning about how long it takes per a pass.

Why make this comment about not giving sensible answers and then go and do what other people have already done!
:confused:

I think that sarahjh69 may be changing the subject a bit and wondering why DivX5 Pro encodes slower in the first pass when Pro Features are checked. First of all, the first pass is the “discovery phase” of processing in which all of the extra work is done to determine settings that will make the best possible copy on the second pass. The Bi-directional Encoding and Global Motion Compensation options are implemented in the first pass and require more processing. Quarter Pixels should not be used, as it consumes a lot of CPU power and can cause problems. Psychovisual Enhancements depend entirely on the eye of the beholder.

The second pass just follows the instructions outlined by the first pass. It is consequently much faster since it is not burdened by extra processing.

The only options I would use are Bi-directional Encoding and Global Motion Compensation. To answer sarahjh69’s question, unchecking these options relieves the CPU of extra processing required and allows the first pass to run at the same speed (approximately) as the second pass. If the two options mentioned are not checked, there is no point in using DivX 5 Pro. These are the features that set it apart and make it desirable to use.

My own setup:
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (not overclocked)
VIA KT266A Chipset (a must with this processor)
512 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR RAM
Lite-On LTD163 DVD-ROM, Firmware GH5N
Gordian Knot 0.26.1, 700 MB filesize, 544 x 224 pixels

Timings for The Matrix - 2:16:35 total length, 196,155 total frames (186,192 main movie, 9,963 credits)

Ripping with Smartripper - 00:10:19 (136.58 min. / 10.32), for an average ripping rate of 13.2x

Creating a DVD2AVI .d2v project file - 00:5:25 (23.976 fps)

Start Encoding

BeSweet MP3 ripping and normalization - 00:20:21 (128 kbs LAME VBR)

Process Credits - 00:4:24 (9,963 frames)

First Pass - Simple Resize Filter, Bi-Directional Encoding and Global Motion Compensation selected - 1:32:43 (186,191 frames) - Average speed 33.467 fps - 1.40x movie frame rate

Second Pass - 1:09:33 - Average speed 44.61 fps - 1.86x movie frame rate

Appending credits and muxing audio - 00:1:44

Total Encoding Time - 3:08:50 - Considering two passes, this is 69% of real time. :slight_smile:

Total All Processes (inc. ripping & project file) - 3:24:34 - This is still 75% of real time. :cool:

It takes about 4-7 (depends on the movie) hours at my 750 Duron. Don’t mind since as many others I’m at sleep.

10 time slower than real time with my p2 400 with 192 meg sdram. u can easily guess i haven’t ever encoded a whole movie here :slight_smile: i prefer using my friend’s amd 1000 MHz, which can go around 11-12 fps.